Is there a way to interact with Logic using scripting?

Maestro777
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I have a routine set of tasks that I perform after I bounce out a mixdown that I'd like to automate. Was wondering if anyone was aware of a way to tell Logic to execute a script after completion of a task like bouncing out a file? Looking for something like pre/post command support. I haven't found any such thing but maybe I'm just unaware to where to look? IDK

Would really be nice to have if it doesn't exist.

• Solution

People generally use external automation tools for things like this - Keyboard Maestro, AppleScript, Automator, Hammerspoon etc..

I automate Logic with Keyboard Maestro all the time...

You might also want to look into Hazel for tasks when you bounce files to particular folders too.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into these suggested apps to see how they might assist in what I'm trying to do. The task at present is pretty simple. I just need a few tasks executed immediately after logic completes a mixdown to the bounce directory. But since logic doesn't have an area/option for specifying certain post task executions; I'm supposing the suggested automation tool route would require a listener for the bounce folder to know to begin other tasks.

I'll look into it. 👍

23 minutes ago, Maestro777 said:

I'm supposing the suggested automation tool route would require a listener for the bounce folder to know to begin other tasks.

Yes, this is what Hazel does - watches particular folders, and then performs actions based on activity within those folders. So for example, when you bounce to your bounce folder, Hazel could rename the file to include the time/date, make copies to other folders, run scripts (maybe convert that bounce into different formats etc).

Indeed, there are often many ways to achieve automation needs - the thing to do imho is look into the suggestions and find which works for you and your needs. Sometimes a dedicated app with a nice interface that does exactly what you need is perfect, and sometimes it's overkill to buy if you just want to do a single task. Other times you want to build something yourself  with more general tools, scripting and so on.

Dealer's choice! 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, des99 said:

Yes, this is what Hazel does - watches particular folders, and then performs actions based on activity within those folders. So for example, when you bounce to your bounce folder, Hazel could rename the file to include the time/date, make copies to other folders, run scripts (maybe convert that bounce into different formats etc).

Thanks, I've downloaded the trial version of Keyboard Maestro and am looking at Hazel now as well in combination with Automator. I should be able to derive some type of solution with these. Keyboard Maestro seems pretty impressive as to what it can do but still exploring.

• Like 1