Stand-alone versions of instruments

NoPro

I’m probably not going to take my computer out for a live show and play standalone versions of various plugins  ….
 cool to just have them but rarely do I ever touch or use them in standalone mode 

how about you ?

They don’t take up too much space in the computer but kinda useless to me .

No, I don't use them, and I don't install them. It makes no sense to me to use standalones, when I can use a host or DAW, and also be able to add plugins, record ideas or whatever.

Some people like them for some reason, but I've never found them at all useful, personally speaking.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I all-but-ignored the standalone versions of instrument plugins for well-over a decade.

However, about 18 months ago I realized that for me, if I open Logic, my brain switches to 'production/edit/explore' mode, for stubs or tracks or songs or whatever. I 'plan' on a session being about 'learning this instrument, for real' and it doesn't happen.

So I started using the standalone versions as a means of keeping brain clutter out of the way so I can focus on just one instrument at a time, and deep-dive it. 

And then I started organizing presets and user-patches into favorites, categories or tags in the standalone versions to help make me more efficient when in 'production' mode, 

About 10 months ago, my 'visual noise' fatigue, and general 'more apps means more stops to deal with an "issue" of some kind' really kicked in and I started down a path of being DAW-less more often, and now I'm triggering the instruments from external sequencers and drum machines which, along with the hardware instrumentation routed through IK's Mixbox has been a total game changer. Never thought I'd end up here at all.

I 'could' involve logic in all of this, but I can't 'see' the instruments anymore, or lose my focus.

Just as a note on disk space: you can also save a crazy amount of space (depending on how many plugins you use) if you only use Logic Pro, and hence, don't need all those auto-installed VST2 and VST3 plugins, or AAX, etc. Things like Native Access and Arturia's manager and the like will litter you with those, and most of the time they can just go away; just be warned that some audio units are VST wrappers, so deleting the VST also kills the AU. I wonder if there are cases where deleting the standalone messes with the AU.

Edited by zevo

47 minutes ago, zevo said:

I wonder if there are cases where deleting the standalone messes with the AU.

Not standalones no - they don't work like that - they are generally always self-contained. Not installing them, or deleting them won't affect your installed plugins.

I personally never use standalone versions of the instruments either. If I'm going to start tweaking or playing some ideas I want to be ready to record whatever idea might come up without having to do any set up, so I always want to already be in a Logic project, even if I'm just playing around or experimenting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

I personally never use standalone versions of the instruments either. If I'm going to start tweaking or playing some ideas I want to be ready to record whatever idea might come up without having to do any set up, so I always want to already be in a Logic project, even if I'm just playing around or experimenting. 

So true….!!!

• Like 1

Hahaha. Indeed.

Which is interestingly why I always end up NOT learning my instruments, lol.

I suspect that many have better discipline than I do when it comes to getting a new instrument, and learning it. If I knew them already, I'd be in a very different boat. Hopefully soon enough (though it's BEEN 27 years already). 🙂

I find useful to have the stand alone version available to troubleshoot issues that might occur occasionally.

When being more focussed melodically in my compositional workflow, I too prefer dealing only with a stand alone instrument, so I don’t get distracted by all the other features that Logic offers profusely. That way, instead of digressing into searching for the holy grail preset or piling up timbre voices, I concentrate on refining with what I already have at hand. That approach also help freeing my few neurones to imagine a define idea of what I would harmonize and orchestrate from there.

One (of the) great feature(s) I like about Omnisphere (standalone version), it can record what is played, which could be then imported in Logic (or any DAW).

• Like 1