Apple brings Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro to iPad

Message added by David Nahmani,

Apple announces Logic Pro for the iPad, available May 23rd in the App Store as a $4.99/month subscription or $49/year with a 1 month free trial: https://www.apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad/

it does say "Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for iPad will be available on the App Store as subscriptions starting Tuesday, May 23."

either way, amazing that this has finally happened (not that i care, i don't have an ipad). but good news for those that do, and want to do pro work on an ipad...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fisherking said:

it does say "Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for iPad will be available on the App Store as subscriptions starting Tuesday, May 23."

either way, amazing that this has finally happened (not that i care, i don't have an ipad). but good news for those that do, and want to do pro work on an ipad...

So the inference is that it's solely for the iPad version?

I'm kind of skeptical that any iPad is going to have sufficient resources to run LP with a significant number of tracks and sample libraries loaded. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

Also, I wish that the resources that went into developing this new product had been devoted to fixing bugs and missing features in the Mac version first. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, dmitch57 said:

I'm kind of skeptical that any iPad is going to have sufficient resources to run LP with a significant number of tracks and sample libraries loaded. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

Also, I wish that the resources that went into developing this new product had been devoted to fixing bugs and missing features in the Mac version first. 

am sure apple has people working on the mac version, and people working on the ipad version. and am pretty-sure there will be obvious differences between the 2 versions (as well as FCP on the mac vs on the ipad). but still think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zipfunk said:

The first thing I read is that it'll be subscription based. 

What is everyones opinion on if Logic for Mac will also be subscription based?

It's 4.99 a month. It would take you a couple of years to get to the full price of logic paying monthly.

19 minutes ago, dmitch57 said:

The iPad Pro has an M2 and up to 16GB of RAM, same as a Mac Mini. If those machines can run LPX (and they can!), then the iPad can.

I'm not wild about the subscription model, and I don't currently have an iPad that'll run it, but man, a proper DAW on iPad is a really great thing. I just wonder how or if you'll be able to install Apple Silicon-native AUs, etc. So many creative decisions in music-making are tied to the "sound" of plugins that they'll have to figure that one out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, uncleozzy said:

The iPad Pro has an M2 and up to 16GB of RAM, same as a Mac Mini. If those machines can run LPX (and they can!), then the iPad can.

Hmmm, yeah, I guess you're right. I stand corrected. I was thinking about the stone-age iPad 8G I'm typing on now...LP would doubtless bring it to its knees. 🙂

34 minutes ago, dmitch57 said:

Have you used a mac with an m1 chip? I don't even bother keeping track of high-CPU plugins anymore. There's no need because they are so fast.

Edited by jmob
  • Like 4

The drawing automation on iPad could actually be super handy. The sampling on the go features would be cool. Kinda already do this with my iPhone and import after the fact but would be cool to drop stuff into alchemy or sampler right away and see if you like the quality. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dox said:

I find a 27 inch screen JUST big enough to work comfortably with Logic and Final Cut. I think trying to do so on a small iPad screen would be tough.

I guess a typical workflow will be: start a project on iPad, transfer it to your Mac, finish it there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dox said:

I find a 27 inch screen JUST big enough to work comfortably with Logic and Final Cut. I think trying to do so on a small iPad screen would be tough.

i would imagine that people who do real work on an ipad (for example, in garageband or imovie), will be fine moving to versions of logic or FCP that have been optimized for that format...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dox said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the apple devs know a lot of people feel this way. I’m sure they put a lot of effort into making things not feel cluttered and easily accessible. That being said more space imo will always be a better experience for a professional. I think this is a great start to the future of Logic Pro. I’m excited to play with this even if it’s just something I use for fun and not serious work. Would be fun to use while traveling or chilling poolside or something. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Q420 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the apple devs know a lot of people feel this way. I’m sure they put a lot of effort into making things not feel cluttered and easily accessible. That being said more space imo will always be a better experience for a professional. I think this is a great start to the future of Logic Pro. I’m excited to play with this even if it’s just something I use for fun and not serious work. Would be fun to use while traveling or chilling poolside or something. 

lots of pros use ipads. so, am thinking of someone shooting video and editing in FCP on their ipad... and then, yes, moving the work to FCP on a mac, and continuing.

but am sure we'll see someone edit a full movie on the ipad, or produce a 'pro' song... just as ppl have been doing in garageband & imovie.

better tools are always better tools 👍

15 minutes ago, dmitch57 said:

Hmmm, yeah, I guess you're right. I stand corrected. I was thinking about the stone-age iPad 8G I'm typing on now...LP would doubtless bring it to its knees. 🙂

LP will be available for iPads with A12 bionic chip or later, so technically LP will work on your machine. However, FCP will only be available for iPads with M1 chip or above.

6 minutes ago, lorenzogc said:

LP will be available for iPads with A12 bionic chip or later, so technically LP will work on your machine. However, FCP will only be available for iPads with M1 chip or above.

Has this been confirmed? If true, you just saved me $1200!

I worry that the dev team start getting stretched too thin with another new app version and platform to include, develop and test for...

"Roundtrip compatibility requires Logic Pro for Mac 10.7.8 and macOS 12.3 or later."

So, 10.7.8 imminently then...

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, des99 said:

I worry that the dev team start getting stretched too thin with another new app version and platform to include, develop and test for...

However, let's hope the "all new browser" makes it to the desktop...

There's no downside here. Apple is a massive company. they will just hire more people.

• Like 1