Compatibility Issues?

Alti
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hi, all.  I'm running Logic 10.7.7 on a 2017 iMac Pro on Monterey 12.6.3.  The computer is a 3.2 gHz 8 core Intel Xeon W, 24GB DDR4 memory.  This system interfaces with an Avid S3 control surface, and an Apogee Symphony I/O.  It runs Eucontrol 2022.12.0.81 version 4.10.2.81.  That's the main stuff.

Over the last several months, I have been experiencing odd performance glitches and failures.  Examples include the Editor window essentially locking up at worst.  When this happens, everything else works, I just cannot make changes in the editor window.  Also, while editing, if I move a slider on the control surface to make a volume change, the movement is sometimes not recorded in the animation.  I have multitude problems with system picking up all the USB devices,and have to unplug and replug, sometimes several times, to get the device to recognized.  Sometimes changes that are expected to be made in real time, such as manual adjustments to animation curves, jump around and the redrawing of lines is jumpy or sporadic.

There have been other odd and irregular behaviors, but I have not made notes of everything that's happened... I tend to let things go if I can work around them.  All of this is inconsistent.

I guess I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone.  I have always been unwilling to update to the latest versions of OS as I did this once, and there were so many incompatibility issues with the S3 that I had to format my drive and start over with an earlier version of the OS.   There are generally compatibility problems initially...

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this computer aged out?  Can't be, can it?

Thanks, all!

You may be dealing with a corrupted project or a project from a corrupted project template…

Other things to consider, if you have had anything before 1.1.1.1, or open more than one project at once. Those are things that will eventually lead to project corruption.

Perhaps you are have installed or running faulty apps. Some components / plugins could be at stake as well.

You might be exceeding the processing power resource of your computer / system. Big projects along with other concurrent running apps while using filled up hard drive could cause same.

When was the last time you cold rebooted your computer? Have you tried a NV/PRAM & SMC resets?

Here is the usual troubleshooting rundown.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Atlas.  I'm sorry I didn't follow up on this sooner.  Thanks, again.

The troubleshooting rundown makes sense, and I will try to go through it later today or tomorrow.  Today, as a most recent example of flaky behavior, the volume automation on all tracks stopped working.  The volume automation curves are typical and were working earlier in the day.   ??   Now, playing back results in the volume on each track going to -8.7db and not changing, or going to the initial volume setting and not changing during playback.

BTW, I run an AVID S3 controller.  The sliders do move and do record changes to the volume automation as usual and expected.  Using Logic's mixer also records changes to the automation line, but again, the automation has no effect on the playback volume of the track.

This sound like anything familiar?

Hmmm.  So, the automation setting is "Write mode changes to" Latch.  The track mode is set to Latch.  FWIW, I have used this basic setup and system for years.  I have never had a case when the track automation setting mattered re: playback.  What is happening is the existing automation is not playing back.  The volume goes to -8.2 no matter what the automation says or where you move the controller sliders or on-screen mixer sliders.  The volume goes to -8.2 db and does not move.

This is happening on all tracks on this project.  I'm going to try a new project next.

Sorry.  On playback, neither the fader position or the level meters or the digital db indicator change according to the recorded automation.  On playback, the sliders on the controller and the logic mixer and the digital indicator move/change to -8.7db and stay there. 

The other thing that happens on tracks at times is the track stays stuck on the initial db level.  So if track starts with the level at 0, then moves to -10 after 3 bars, on playback, the level will stay at 0, no faders move, no change as the automation plays back.

I tried copying one track into a new blank project, and it did not work either.  Same problem.

I am completely shut down now as there is no way for me to work without the automation functioning. 

No, bypass control surface when in background does nothing.  I do not find an option to simply bypass all control surfaces, but btw, the S3 does not show up as a control surface.

OK, I got it sussed, but don't understand it, really.  There was, on two tracks, a volume animation present in the edit window, and a different volume curve in the tracks window.  In other words, the automation showing in the tracks area was different than the volume automation showing in the edit window, and the edit window seemed to take precedence.  I deleted the two volume curves in the edit window, and now the animation in the tracks window does what it is supposed to.  Hmmm.

So, can anyone explain how edits to animation, such as volume, made in the edit window do not reflect in the main (tracks) window, but do take precedence over the tracks window animation?  I never encountered this before, but then again, I have never edited a track's volume in the edit window... maybe did it by accident this time... I'm glad it working but can't say I understand.

Thanks to all for your help, as always.

• Solution
3 hours ago, Alti said:

No, bypass control surface when in background does nothing.  I do not find an option to simply bypass all control surfaces, but btw, the S3 does not show up as a control surface.

That's the wrong setting, see my earlier answer..

BypassallControlSurfaces.png.95a902cdc5ade130830980308158f83d.png

That's not the problem though, you simply have region automation in your regions, which takes priority over track automation if you have this project setting checked: 

RegionvsTrackAutomation.png.774326744de122ec5835cf38c35262c3.png

This could also be of interest: Track automation vs. region automation in Logic Pro for Mac

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 2

Brilliant, Jakob.  That's exactly the problem.  I do not think I have ever used region automation for volume, so it must have happened without my being aware of it.  Learning all the time.

Thank you so much.

-A

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have Mac Studio (highest end model), (2) Apogee Symphonies (thunderbolt, Avid S6 Console (32 Faders).

I have been experiencing constant crashing in Logic, especially when I added Tracks. I called Apple Support and the Techie Guy had me change Logic to Rosetta. It worked OK for just a few minutes... but then crashed. So, I pulled Logic off Rosetta and put WSControl (Eucon) on to Rosetta... It seemed to stabilize the system, and did not crash for the short time I used it, today. I will power up the system tomorrow morning and run a bunch of tests. I will report my findings to all you fine people tomorrow.