Help,I accidentally lost my keyboard shortcuts

Dox

Thanks David. I was afraid that might be the answer - always back up! It was an easy mistake to make when showing someone the presets. Perhaps the Devs could make it a little harder to lose customised key commands.

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Unfortunately, you can't — unless you had exported them as a key command file using  "Save As" from the action menu in the Key Command window. 

Just curious - could they be restored by reverting to a backed-up preferences file, e.g. from a Time Machine backup?

10 minutes ago, Dox said:

Sadly no. Bad practice I know. But I never got to grips with Time Machine, which seemed to require a drive for itself.

Sorry 🙁 At least it was only keyboard shortcuts that were lost! Probably not much consolation though...

27 minutes ago, Dox said:

Sadly no. Bad practice I know. But I never got to grips with Time Machine, which seemed to require a drive for itself.

so, uh... what is your backup strategy? because you have to have one... if any of your work & data matters to you at all.

you can get a 2tb drive on amazon for $62...

13 hours ago, scg said:

Sorry 🙁 At least it was only keyboard shortcuts that were lost! Probably not much consolation though...

Thanks for your sympathy. I only have to work in the usual way and when I don't get the response I expect simply reenter the shortcut 😆!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fisherking said:

so, uh... what is your backup strategy? because you have to have one... if any of your work & data matters to you at all.

you can get a 2tb drive on amazon for $62...

What are you recommending?

3 hours ago, Dox said:

What are you recommending?

you can get something like this (that's 2GB, but there are other options). plug it in, open disk utility, make sure you format it for your mac (it can be APFS or HFS extended (journaled). name it something logical (ie 'backup drive').

then, time machine use

call apple (or ask questions here!) if need be. once this is up & running, your data will be on your mac, & on this drive... insurance for your work & files. leave it plugged in, or plug it in regularly (and/or after working on new projects, or adding important files).

1 hour ago, fisherking said:

you can get something like this (that's 2GB, but there are other options). plug it in, open disk utility, make sure you format it for your mac (it can be APFS or HFS extended (journaled). name it something logical (ie 'backup drive').

then, time machine use

call apple (or ask questions here!) if need be. once this is up & running, your data will be on your mac, & on this drive... insurance for your work & files. leave it plugged in, or plug it in regularly (and/or after working on new projects, or adding important files).

Thanks. More expense is very hard to justify with no income though 🙂

I have been using Apple Macs since 1989 and never had an HD fail. So at present I just keep all my stuff on a SSD drive, which is completely silent, small and fast.

But I will follow your suggestion of saving my key commands to home>music>audio music apps>key commands, once I reinstate my shortcuts as I work in Logic 😊

28 minutes ago, Dox said:

Thanks. More expense is very hard to justify with no income though 🙂

I have been using Apple Macs since 1989 and never had an HD fail. So at present I just keep all my stuff on a SSD drive, which is completely silent, small and fast.

But I will follow your suggestion of saving my key commands to home>music>audio music apps>key commands, once I reinstate my shortcuts as I work in Logic 😊

you've been lucky. i know lots of people, over the years, who lost their novels, a cookbook, a dissertation... their family photos, their work. even a 1TB drive for $50 is useful. if you ever do experience drive failure, you'll understand the value of backing up... but then, it will be too late.

• Like 1

You may already be using these, but there are free/inexpensive cloud-based solutions for backup, like Google Drive, Dropbox, and iCloud Drive. That may or may not have helped in this particular case (depending on how you have things set up), but it is an inexpensive way to back up. (If you're already doing this, then nm 🙂)

19 minutes ago, scg said:

You may already be using these, but there are free/inexpensive cloud-based solutions for backup, like Google Drive, Dropbox, and iCloud Drive. That may or may not have helped in this particular case (depending on how you have things set up), but it is an inexpensive way to back up. (If you're already doing this, then nm 🙂)

along with a hard drive backup for my macs (using carbon copy cloner), i use idrive as an online backup system. when i travel, it's my only backup strategy. great to know my data is always backed up... somewhere...

1 hour ago, fisherking said:

you've been lucky. i know lots of people, over the years, who lost their novels, a cookbook, a dissertation... their family photos, their work. even a 1TB drive for $50 is useful. if you ever do experience drive failure, you'll understand the value of backing up... but then, it will be too late.

I already "understand the value of backing up" but do not feel it is necessary for my efforts in Logic. Data such as family photos and such I have backed up on multiple old drives and Macs.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, scg said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't use those services, preferring to keep all my files on equipment I actually own myself.

Are such services free? How much information do they require from users and how accountable are they? What guarantees are there against loss or damage to data?

Just now, Dox said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't use those services, preferring to keep all my files on equipment I actually own myself.

Are such services free? How much information do they require from users and how accountable are they? What guarantees are there against loss or damage to data?

The answers are probably a bit different for each service. Certainly you are handing your data over to others, with whatever security and stability risks that entails (I doubt there are any guarantees against loss, at least not for free plans, and maybe not for paid plans either). It may be that of the options I mentioned, iCloud is best because it's actually associated with your Apple ID and Apple account and therefore presumably they have some degree of responsibility and accountability to you. So that might be a good choice.

To the best of knowledge, iCloud is free up to some storage limit, and then you can pay for more storage (it's not expensive). It's probably similar for the others (Google Drive must have a free plan, because I'm using it currently and not paying anything.) Just saw your most recent post - iCloud Drive's free 5 GB is indeed pretty limiting, but an upgrade is inexpensive. If for whatever reason though you want to avoid any extra expense, there may indeed be some fairly tight caps on what you can back up. (Of course you can be selective with what you back up in order to maximize whatever storage you have available.)

Anyway, there may be no ideal solution, but at least there are some options on the table!

• Like 1

In this particular case (keycommands and also other settings files...), you could email yourself a .zip of the export of your keycommands and then just keep that in your email as a backup forever... it's only a few KB. That's what I do...

It's too late for you now, but maybe this helps somebody else.

• Like 2