Can I safely delete Project Alternatives in a split up session?

Rambird
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

So I've got this session that has previously been split up into multiple individual project files. So we got 1 audio file folder and multiple project files. Now the thing is the Project file that contained everything is about 5GB, but the individual sessions are also around 4,85GB each. Now I went looking for why this is and dove into the package content of the split up projects and found that it seems to be the project alternatives. My question is (and sorry if this has been answered before) - can I safely delete the unused project alternatives without f*in with the other individual project files? I think I can honestly but the reason I'm unsure is when I go into the clean up features it references the files within the "common" audio file folder (so I definitely can't use the session cleanup feature here). Would it maybe help to consolidate each of the individually split up projects to a new location (maybe this way it just copies the files that are actually being used within that project file?) I know it's kind of a mess but since I always got really helpful replies here I'm gonna give it a shot ❤️

Edited by Rambird

• Solution

What I would do is first, make sure you have a backup of the original file and all its media on a separate storage device that is disconnected from your Mac, so that you can always go back to it should anything go wrong. 

Now open alternative 1 and do a File > Save As under a different name in a different location, organized as project folder, attaching all audio files. That new project folder is alternative 1. You can clean it up if it contains unused audio files. 

Next open alternative 2 and proceed the same, then finally open alt 3 and again proceed the same. 

In the end you'll be able to delete the original project folder (the one that contains the 3 alternative), but make sure you keep a backup just in case. 

• Like 1

Slightly related question. I am returning to using Logic after a break for a few years. A project was shared with me to mix, and I want to save updated project files as I go, eg v1, v2, v3, etc. I do this in other DAWs (and previously in Logic) and the file sizes of this project file are usually just a couple of MB or less. The project file (.logicx) that was shared with me is around 14GB, but it was saved as a Folder, so not sure how it is that size. 

I want to save new project files as I work, but when I do it creates another file, that is huge (another 14GB). I am using the save as a folder option and deselecting all the "copy the following....". I have also gone into Project Settings>Assets and deselected everything. I have also tried saving to a new location. What am I missing? Do I need to clean up the project first or.....?

46 minutes ago, razzkazz1 said:

The project file (.logicx) that was shared with me is around 14GB, but it was saved as a Folder, so not sure how it is that size. 

You can open the folder to see what takes up so much space. Press Command-Option-I to open a floating information window and then select the Audio Files folder, for example, then the other folders, to see which is responsible for the huge size. 

48 minutes ago, razzkazz1 said:

I am using the save as a folder option and deselecting all the "copy the following....".

Are you saving the new project file inside the project folder? 

When I look at the original folder that was shared with me, the audio files folder is 3.24GB, .logicx file is 13.94GB. I saved it as a Folder to a new location and I get the same results. If I save as in the same folder the file size remains the same, even though I deselect all the "copy the following..", when I click save I can see the dialogue box copying all the files and the new project files is the same size as the previous one, 13.94GB

6 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You can open the folder to see what takes up so much space. Press Command-Option-I to open a floating information window and then select the Audio Files folder, for example, then the other folders, to see which is responsible for the huge size. 

Are you saving the new project file inside the project folder? 

9 minutes ago, razzkazz1 said:

.logicx file is 13.94GB.

Ok then something's inside that package that's taking all that space. You can control-click that .logicx file and choose "Show Package Contents" then navigate inside, selecting folders and checking their size until you find the big files. 

1 minute ago, razzkazz1 said:

Whatever happened to just saving a file that contains the song/session arrangement and nothing else, like old Logic

You can still do it, just turn off auto-backup: 

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 12.55.23 PM.png

2 minutes ago, razzkazz1 said:

I don't understand why the backups are so large?

Did you try to open the folders to see what's inside? It could be for example undo audio files. 

I still would like/need backups but just the arrangement file, if you know what I mean. When I look deeper into those folders to see what's taking up the space I just come to a "ProjectData" file.

I will read the link you sent and do some more research. Seems unnecessary to be creating such large backups. Even if I delete all the previous alternatives, the one I am working on, dated today, is already 33MB.

20 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

and have enabled undo steps in the Audio File editor. 

Sorry, where do I access that?

And one last question, is "auto backup" and "autosave" the same thing? Strange that there is similar terminology and no clear explanation in the manual

Edited by razzkazz1

1 hour ago, razzkazz1 said:

Sorry, where do I access that?

Window > Open Audio File Editor. 

And one last question, is "auto backup" and "autosave" the same thing?

No. The topic (by @fuzzfilth) I linked to earlier explains the differences. 

Strange that there is similar terminology and no clear explanation in the manual

Yes, I agree: there's not much information, and the terminology is very misleading unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Window > Open Audio File Editor.

Maybe I misunderstood. I am looking for a function "enable undo steps", maybe that doesn't exist.

In order to make the project file smaller, rather than manually deleting folders from the Alternatives folders, I used the "Export Alternative as a Project", to a new disk location so now I only have one alternative. The project file size is still large 505MB, but better than 15 GB! The culprit for the size is still the "ProjectData" file in the Alternatives folder, but I guess not much I can do about that. 

Ideally what I want is to do what you mentioned in the other post "If you are saving (Save As?) a copy of your LogicPro file every 20 minutes", but as this project file is 505MB it still doesn't work to start saving multiple copies.

I don’t use the alternative function in Logic. I prefer to use Save As for my alt versions and use Logic in a folder not one big file. I find it easier to have access to everything and I just delete earlier revisions once I’m done with the project.

Mainly I feel safer having more than one Logic file. I’ve been burned before when a file got corrupted. It rarely if ever happens but still, I don’t like having all my eggs in one digital basket. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, razzkazz1 said:

Maybe I misunderstood. I am looking for a function "enable undo steps", maybe that doesn't exist.

Oh ok, I'm the one who misunderstood. Ok so the number of undo steps for destructive audio editing is no longer user adjustable. 

I tried to record some vocals and perform a few destructive edits in the Audio File editor and everything is saved in the 000 alternative folder in the Undo Data.nosync folder, and that can take up a large amount of space if you keep performing destructive edits. 

Some audio files can also be recorded inside the Logic file package if you started recording before you saved the project. That also adds up. 

I did some tests and in the end the only way I've found so far to reduce the project size is to manually delete all the undo data from the project folder (from the Finder) then save a copy of that project as a new project folder. That works, but I wish there was an easier way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, razzkazz1 said:

As I didn't start this project, something might have happened along the way that caused the Project file to swell. When I have some downtime I'll investigate more. thanks

Yes, most likely the person who produced the project either recorded audio before saving the project, or performed lengthy or numerous destructive audio edits.