Playhead jumps backwards a few milli seconds when I press Play

BurningMilo
Go to solution Solved by BurningMilo,

Hey folks,

so I have Logic Pro 10.7.7 new installed (iMac 27" 2019, 24GB RAM) and got the following problem: everytime I press play, the playhead jumps back (towards the start of the song) a few milli seconds - independent of bpm - and plays from there. Even if I have cycle mode on it starts a few ms before the start of the cycle. It also happens in every Project, even an empty one.

I found the following solutions online, but none of them works:

1. Plugin-latency pre-roll. If box checked or not makes no difference. Only plugin installed is Vital, but not used in the Projects. Also, the plugin is deactivated using the plugin manager.

2. I/O-puffersize. Not matter if it is 32 or 1024...still the same

3. Playhead options: no options like "Jump to right locator point" are activated.

I hope anyone has a solution that works for me. Thanks in advance!

Milo

This is likely for latency reasons - when you have plugins that require latency on audio tracks, instead of delaying the whole audio stream (and therefore adding latency to the project), Logic starts reading out the audio tracks early, so the the entire audio stream doesn't need to be delayed.

In short - it's a feature, not a bug! 😉

My guess is that if you remove all the plugins from the project (as a test - and actually remove them, not bypass them), this behaviour should stop, as there is no latency that needs to be compensated for. If the behaviour still persists in that test project, then there's probably something else going on.

Edited by des99

15 minutes ago, des99 said:

My guess is that if you remove all the plugins from the project (as a test - and actually remove them, not bypass them), this behaviour should stop, as there is no latency that needs to be compensated for. If the behaviour still persists in that test project, then there's probably something else going on.

Thanks for your quick answer! But as I said, this even happens in a completely empty project. Nonetheless I now uninstalled the plugin, but the issue is still there.

2 minutes ago, BurningMilo said:

But as I said, this even happens in a completely empty project.

Hmm, weird. What audio device are you using? Does it happen using inbuilt audio on your Mac?

Have you tried trashing your preferences? Bypassing any control surfaces?

• Like 2

• Solution
4 minutes ago, des99 said:

Does it happen using inbuilt audio on your Mac?

Yeah that helped! I was using a Bluetooth speaker (pls don't judge :D). When using the inbuilt speakers everything works fine. Never thought this could cause an issue....

Thanks des!

• Like 2