Unable to copy automations

Francesco G.L
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi there,

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro so I decided to give Logic Pro X a try (coming from 10 years experience on FL Studio).

I understand it's a complete different workflow but I'm stucked at copying automations over two different plugins.
I simply need to copy a pitchbend automation from a vst to another one but everytime I try I get this annoying message:

"Orphaned Automation!

Do you want to add a matching plug-in to the first free insert slot, keep automation data unmodified (and possibly orphaned),delete otherwise orphaned automation data at the destination track or cancel the operation?"

Delete Data | Keep Data | Cancel

I already tried to automate the pitch either from the piano roll midi editor and from the automation's track lane.

It does make no sense to me, hopefully you guys can help me out with this, I would really appreciate it :)

In Logic you have different type of automations.

Track based automation (aka TBA) consists of Fader events. Those Fader events could be created from using pitchbend movements and are recorded on the automation track associated to the MIDI events track.

Region based automation (aka RBA) consists of MIDI events (likely CC / continuous controller MIDI events) and Fader events. Those are stored in the region which itself populate the MIDI events track(s).

The MIDI events tracks are visible by default in the Tracks area. To become visible the automation tracks their display need to be enable (using the key-command 'A'). They would then show below the associated MIDI event track.

Fader automation events will act on the parameter # that is designated by the original (automation) recording and according to the plugin's slot rank (on the assigned channelstrip) and corresponding parameter. IOW, to copy a Fader automation (either from TBA or RBA), one has to ensure that at the destination's channelstrip there is a corresponding plugin on the same Fx plugin slot rank (row).

To circumvent that complication, try using the following procedure:

1. Enable the automation at least on the source and destination tracks making sure that both are set to view the same type o automation (RBA or TBA)
  2. Select the source track
  3. Using the automation selection tool, highlight the automation points you wish to copy from
  4. While those automation points are still highlighted, press Cmd-C (on your keyboard to copy them) or chose that Copy command from the track's area local menu
  5. Select to highlight the destination track and move the playhead to the desired position (where you wish the automation first point to be placed)
  6. Press the Option key on your keyboard and maintain it depressed
  7. Mouse click to open the automation parameters' list and click on the desired destination parameter.
  8. From the popping alert box, chose Copy and Convert
  9. If the copied automation doesn't show, make sure that the destination track automation mode (TBA vs RBA) is still set to the same as the source and use the Cmd-Y key-command to cycle through the various already recorded automation tracks for that track, that should force a redraw of the missing (newly copied) automation curve.

HTH

• Solution

If you mean copy pitch bend data from one track to another (two different instruments)? Then I would copy the region and, in the copied region, clean up anything that's not pitch bend data. Now you're left with a region that contains only pitch bend data, and you can move it where you want, and if needed merge it with an existing region that contains notes. 

Let us know if you need more details? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

If you mean copy pitch bend data from one track to another (two different instruments)? Then I would copy the region and, in the copied region, clean up anything that's not pitch bend data. Now you're left with a region that contains only pitch bend data, and you can move it where you want, and if needed merge it with an existing region that contains notes. 

Let us know if you need more details? 

That would be indeed the simplest (and most efficient) approach, if applicable.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:20 AM, Atlas007 said:

to copy a Fader automation (either from TBA or RBA), one has to ensure that at the destination's channelstrip there is a corresponding plugin on the same Fx plugin slot rank (row)

FYI, this has changed in some recent Logic version, so it doesn't need to be the same slot number anymore, the plug-in just has to be there. So, if you copy TBA for, say, Tape Delay in Slot #1 on one channel strip and paste it to another channel strip that has a Tape Delay in Slot #3, the automation will correctly be pasted into that slot.

Unfortunately, you cannot copy and paste RBA at all (unless you're using the event list which is very cumbersome).

• Like 1

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

So, I tried Atlas way with no success at all so I tried like David suggested (using midi) and It works ! I can paste the automation over other instruments track.

Strangely enough I couldn't get it to work the other day !

But yeah, it's weird that Logic does not allow such things on the basic automation menu 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1