Renaming projects

Jordn

I seem to have an issue when renaming a project in that the rename pop up window seems to stay on long after I see the name change. Seems to hang and lock up. Today I forced quit to get back into the project. Anyone know if this a known issue?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, fisherking said:

where are you renaming it? best to close the project, select the file in the finder, rename it there...

My guess is @Jordn is renaming via File->Project Management->Rename. In theory at least, my guess is this would be the optimal/recommended way to do it (possible bugs aside). I don't know if renaming via Finder would cause problems, but sometimes an app's built-in rename function will deal with dependencies, interrelationships, or other complexities that won't be addressed via a simple Finder rename.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scg said:

My guess is @Jordn is renaming via File->Project Management->Rename. In theory at least, my guess is this would be the optimal/recommended way to do it (possible bugs aside). I don't know if renaming via Finder would cause problems, but sometimes an app's built-in rename function will deal with dependencies, interrelationships, or other complexities that won't be addressed via a simple Finder rename.

nothing wrong with renaming that way (assuming that's not the issue here), but renaming any closed file in the Finder is a perfectly simple, sound way to... rename a file. i've done that with LP projects (and everything else) always... without issue.

1 minute ago, fisherking said:

nothing wrong with renaming that way (assuming that's not the issue here), but renaming any closed file in the Finder is a perfectly simple, sound way to... rename a file. i've done that with LP projects (and everything else) always... without issue.

Sure, I'm not saying it doesn't work. Logic does do some extra things regarding names of alternatives if you use the built-in feature, but that won't matter if you don't care about that. I just mention it because with some apps with more complex project management, renaming the project in Finder and doing so via the app's built-in functionality may have different results (in other words, the built-in rename feature may exist for reasons other than just convenience).

But, that's all somewhat tangential, because you should be able to use Logic's built-in feature if you want to (and it can be convenient to do so). So, the open question seems to be whether what @Jordn is seeing is a bug or other issue of some sort.

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Using File > Project Management > Rename is instantaneous here. Are you saving your project organized as a package or a folder? If you're saving it as a folder, in the Finder, make sure both the folder and the project file are renamed at the same time? 

I’ve been saving the project as a package, but may have saved early versions as a folder. Now it’s always a package. However this has been happening since day one of this project. Usually it’s a long wait for the pop up window to close (I can see the name changes instantly but the pop up window hangs even when I click on “OK”.)  This instance was the first time I had to force quit.