Logic Pro 10.7.8 is out!

David Nahmani

4 minutes ago, Q420 said:

Where is beat breaker on desktop? They are holding out on us? 

I expect those things will be part of Logic Pro 11, or at least a bigger update, not a minor bugfix/compatibility update.

12 minutes ago, steinweg said:

Where is the PDC Sidechain bugfix?

Were you expecting one? Or just hoping for one?

I feel the usual "scan the fix list for mention of my pet bug" is an experience we all go through, leading to a range of possible outcomes - but we're here for emotional support, if necessary! 😉 

Edited by des99
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Q420 said:

Wait what Logic Pro 11? Did I miss something? Is this a rumor or? 

Speculation, based on various educated guesses based on the new iPad version's pricing model and timing, nothing more. I did say "or a bigger update" as well... we don't know anything concrete.

But I suspect a subscription model, and a new version, to get around permanent licenses for LP10 owners.

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Q420 said:

Wait what Logic Pro 11? Did I miss something? Is this a rumor or? 

It's just a matter of saying that Beat Breaker will most likely be included in a larger update. Whether it's called Logic Pro 10.8 or Logic Pro 11, and when it will be released, no one really knows. The only thing we (don't know but) can guess is that at some point, it will be coming. 🙂 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Q420 said:

Where is beat breaker on desktop? They are holding out on us? 

Like Live Loops and Step Sequencer, and Auto-Sampler, et al that started life in GB iOS, or MainStage - it'll eventually appear (along with Sample Alchemy)....but it'll take time.
Resources aren't endless....even at Apple.

• Like 2

Are the Logic plugins now AUv3 on Logic Pro desktop?  Just wondering about round-trip projects handling, and if this is the dawn of mass releases of plugins in AUv3 formats... just wondering as I did a quick run-through of the iPad version. There was also some factory content that wasn't there before I could download and add, not much, perhaps 1 GB?  

Getting back on topic, being the update today and release notes, wow... a lot, and indeed... I can't make input monitoring show up either.

10 minutes ago, des99 said:

Logic plugins aren't plugins, they are part of Logic.

95%+ of Mac desktop plugins aren't available as iOS versions.

they're certainly not published as AUs, but show package contents has a folder named "Plugins" of all things, although these look like the older ones and certainly not all of them! and they're NOT in the plugin manager.  Am aware of that.

So while internal to Logic, and many in MainStage too, I'd fall off my chair if internally Logic/MainStage plugins aren't architecturally just AU plugins. It'd be easier to not announce a base plugin as a plugin outside of Logic/MainStage, than support different plugin architectures for Apple's Logic/Mainstage plugins from 3rd party AUs, or even Apple provided AUs (there are some of course).

That 95% of Mac desktop plugins aren't available as iOS versions is exactly one of the main things that round-trip compatibility ain't never gonna happen in the real world.  iOS doesn't do AUv2, but does do AUv3.  My Pianoteq app for iPadOS actually says shows up in the list of plugins Logic on iPad can load...  Well, that's 1. 

I just can't help but think that next big update, Logic on macOS will create a push towards AUv3, as otherwise, round-trip ain't happening, and... plugins on iPadOS might actually show differences with the macOS version. 

Just guess what the writing on the wall might be going forward.

P.S. - I don't believe AUv3 adoption will be any faster than VST3 adoption!

I've edited the original post of this thread to add a link to the "What's new in Logic Pro for Mac 10.7.8" page from the new user guide - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcp6757bbd9/mac

Share projects to Logic Pro for iPad

• Logic Pro for Mac is fully compatible with the new Logic Pro for iPad app. You can open a Logic Pro project in Logic Pro for iPad and continue working. Certain features in Logic Pro are not supported in Logic Pro for iPad. See Share a project to Logic Pro for iPad.

Use virtual MIDI devices to send and receive MIDI messages with other music apps

• Logic Pro for Mac includes two virtual MIDI devices, called Logic Pro Virtual In and Logic Pro Virtual Out. You can use Logic Pro Virtual In to receive MIDI messages from another music app in Logic Pro, and use Logic Pro Virtual Out to send MIDI messages from Logic Pro to other music apps on your Mac, including GarageBand for Mac. See Virtual MIDI devices overview, Record MIDI messages from a virtual MIDI device, and Send MIDI messages from Logic Pro for Mac to another music app.

Join tool enhancements

• The Glue tool in earlier Logic Pro for Mac versions is now the Join tool. In addition to its other functions, clicking a looped region with the Join tool now merges the original and looped instances into a single region. See Join regions.

Automation point editing enhancements

• When adjusting a range of automation points, the relative differences in their values are now retained. If the value of any of the automation points reaches the minimum or maximum value, none of the values can be adjusted further. You can override this behavior by holding the Option key while dragging. See Adjust a range of automation points.
  • When you make a marquee selection on an automation lane for a track and then press the Delete key, any automation points in the selection are deleted, resulting in automation points being placed at the start and end of the selected area. See Delete automation.

Neural Pitch Detection algorithm in Pitch Correction plug-in

• In Logic Pro for Mac 10.7.8, the Pitch Correction plug-in features a Neural Pitch Detection checkbox, which is selected by default. Neural Pitch Detection activates a machine learning algorithm that intelligently sets the range and combines with other controls to deliver exceptionally natural-sounding results. See Pitch Correction effect.

New project default sample rate setting

• The project sample rate on new installations of Logic Pro for Mac now defaults to 48 kHz. The default sample rate for existing Logic Pro users is unchanged unless you delete the Logic Pro settings file on your Mac. You can change the sample rate of a project at any time.

New sound pack

• Logic Pro for Mac 10.7.8 includes a new sound pack: 8-Bit Legends. You can download this and other sound packs from the Sound Packs section of the Sound Library Manager. See Manage Logic Pro content.

Miscellaneous enhancements

• You can choose to open Logic Pro without Audio Units plug-ins by immediately pressing and holding the Control key. You can also choose whether Logic Pro opens with Core Audio enabled or not enabled.
  • The Edit menu in the Mixer includes a command to select summing stack channel strips.
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, just20 said:

Unfortunately it still takes longer to load a project than the 10.7.4 version.

Did you update your OS at the same time?
I've found diffs with responsiveness across the board (not just Logic) in Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura.
Some things are faster and some are slower - or behave differently (or disappeared).
B'ah...progress!

24 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

The project sample rate on new installations of Logic Pro for Mac now defaults to 48 kHz.

It's official folks - the CD is dead, as (quietly) pronounced by Apple..! 😉

(The hipsters are all buying up cassette machines anyway...)

Edited by des99
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes. 

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Did you update your OS at the same time?
I've found diffs with responsiveness across the board (not just Logic) in Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura.
Some things are faster and some are slower - or behave differently (or disappeared).
B'ah...progress!

No I'm still in Monterey 12.6. Logic Pro 10.7.4 loads really fast compared the higher versions.

About disappeared, I need to download lot of drums/samples again after update, for example some of the Electronic Drum Kit kits🤔 

How about you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, des99 said:

It's official folks - the CD is dead, as (quietly) pronounced by Apple..! 😉

(The hipsters are all buying up cassette machines anyway...)

tell us what a "CD" is (so i'll know how to mourn it properly). and 44/24 is (currently) the default for stereo files for streaming (so i'll stick with that, unless it's video work, of course)...

1 minute ago, jmob said:

It’s the record enable button. Hit that and you can select any other track and still be playing the track you enabled. 

As listed in the update notes, they've changed a bunch of behaviours with this. But it's not the input monitoring feature.

1 minute ago, jmob said:

It’s the record enable button. Hit that and you can select any other track and still be playing the track you enabled. 

Ok but that's not new in 10.7.8. And that also means that if you press Record then the track will start recording what you're playing, which is where the Input Monitoring button could be useful (the ability to play something without recording it). 

3 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok but that's not new in 10.7.8. And that also means that if you press Record then the track will start recording what you're playing, which is where the Input Monitoring button could be useful (the ability to play something without recording it). 

Then it’s changed. Pressing play does not start recording. 

Edited by jmob