Logic Pro 10.7.8 is out!

David Nahmani

44 minutes ago, rafesco said:

If my count-in is of 1 bar and I hit record at bar 2.3, for example, the playhead jumps to bar 1.1. It still behaves like this. I was expecting the playhead to jump to 1.3 (which is exactly 1 bar behind 2.3). Anyone gets what this update does exactly?

This only affects the n/4 count-ins. Whole bars still start at, well, whole bars 😉 

45 minutes ago, rafesco said:

Not working here either. The existing region is still present in the "supposed-to-be-empty-space" area after I paste a Marquee selection containing empty space.

Make sure you have No Overlap Drag Mode on!

16 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Make sure you have No Overlap Drag Mode on!

I do. In this example, I selected bars 34-36 with the Marquee Tool and pressed CMD + R. I was expecting bar 39 to be empty space only, but that section of the pre-existing region stays there, chopped. The same happens if I do it with CMD + C and CMD + V. What am I missing?ezgif-4-07c36fba64.gif.61e262ca87599baa2e256c1f02d0bfaa.gif

Edited by rafesco

7 minutes ago, rafesco said:

I do. In this example, I selected bars 36+37 with the Marquee Tool and pressed CMD + R. I was expecting bar 39 to be empty space only, but that section of the pre-existing region stays there, chopped. The same happens if I do it with CMD + C and CMD + V. What am I missing?ezgif-4-07c36fba64.gif.61e262ca87599baa2e256c1f02d0bfaa.gif

Cmd-R doesn't work here either, hadn't tried that before. Maybe they promised too much 😉

Cmd-C + Cmd-V works as advertised here

2 hours ago, rafesco said:

Audio waveforms are now reliably displayed correctly at region borders when zoomed in closely.

Sometimes, a region that's trimmed so that it ends exactly before the start of a transient like a kick drum, shows the start of that transient in low zoom levels in 10.7.7 and before. Here's an example: 

image.thumb.png.4956e9a6085383a86a47fd6040fd29eb.png

(see the vertical line at the end - this looks like a click, but nothing can be heard). Zooming in the line sometimes even gets a bit larger:

image.thumb.png.bb887016c3a87dd92650bc03cc1f7a2d.png

Eventually it will disappear at higher zoom levels:

image.thumb.png.9fda6bf75adf720394deda4d133d977b.png

This does not happen anymore in 10.7.8 (what isn't played is also not drawn).

A minor graphics fix.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, rafesco said:

Dragging a muted region over a portion of another region with the Drag Mode set to No Overlap now truncates the region as expected.

I have no idea either. From what I can tell, dragging muted regions in No Overlap mode already seems to work correctly in 10.7.7?

Edited by polanoid

16 hours ago, polanoid said:

I can not confirm what you write, but indeed the behaviour is incorrect as it pastes the setting to the (first?) selected channel strip, not to the one you chose "Paste" from. Maybe that's what happened to you? (BTW in 10.7.7 this still works correctly, so this is a new bug in 10.7.8)

Indeed this is a new bug with 10.7.8. "Broken Feature" report sent . .  

10 hours ago, polanoid said:

des99 said: as it always felt a bit of a hack

indeed, see the missing rec enable button, and the non-functional Musical Typing Keyboard.

Polanoid - why insist that people should not be able to record midi on Aux tracks and that it was just a hack?

a) against what you claim, the Musical Typing kbd works fine on them; as does step input.

b) why then did the developers add the Articulation Set menu? and a setting for default notation display?

c) why do other AUX tracks when added as a track to the tracks window not have these features?

d) as I understand it, the Rec Enable button on instrument tracks is only needed when wanting to record multiple tracks at once. I never needed that. I select a track = make it live/active - start recording. no need to touch the Rec button. and the same behavior worked on such AUXes.

some hack, eh? Rather, it has been an excellent and clever implementation of a way to set up and work with multi-out VIs.

The short of it is: it's a great way to have midi data and audio processing on the same channel. Saves hugely on track count, makes editing midi and the resulting audio changes faster and makes organizing sessions much easier. Can you accept that as being valid workflow considerations?

And rebuilding templates with hundreds of tracks, intricate routing to implement (hopefully only temporarily needed) workarounds is no fun and to be avoided if at all possible.

Recording midi on AUX was a feature that previously worked and is now broken. It was not announced as one of the changes (afaik) and therefore happened unintentionally and therefore is validly categorized as a bug.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, icalone said:

BTW, setting up multi-out versions of Omnisphere and Kontact also save loads on the CPU. 

Interesting, I experienced quite the contrary concerning Omnisphere that is.

Loading a separate instance for each patch 8 times is not as taxing on the CPU (M2 Mac mini)  here as loading 8 patches in one instance.

16 minutes ago, mattrixx said:

It's the default setting for most streaming and broadcast setups, so I imagine that would be one reason why.

Also negates the necessity for Logic's Dolby Atmos renderer to do realtime re-sampling to maintain 48kHz.

Hmm, thanks, I understand the Dolby and broadcast reason, but let me ask you folks, as I just had this discussion on another musician forum concerning the streaming service Soundcloud. I was told best thing would be to stick with 44,1 kHz sample rate for uploading to Soundcloud.

In your experience, what is best practice for SC, project sample rate 44,1 or 48 and then what file format to bounce to, I suppose WAV is the best option, but I am not sure.  

Edited by Scriabin rocks

New 10.7.8 bug? Just bought and installed a new plugin (Softube Weiss MM-1) and Logic can't see it. Tried AU Reset, reinstalling the plugin, restarting Logic and my Mac and no joy. Doesn't appear in Plugin Manager but the plugin files are all in the correct Library folders but Logic just can't see them. Never had this happen before with Logic. Must be a new bug. (Grrr)

Edited by David MacNeill

11 hours ago, Scriabin rocks said:

In your experience, what is best practice for SC

SoundCloud recommends uploading in 16 bit 48 KHz WAV.

https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003452847#typeOfFile

I guess if I were publishing only via SC, that is the sample rate I'd use for the project and for bouncing. In my case, I publish to other platforms as well, platforms which allow higher resolution. I work at 96K, bounce and master at 96/24, and I use an external tool to convert my master to a 48/24 WAV file for SoundCloud upload.

[edit: SC recommends 16 bit, not 24]

Edited by dmitch57
  • Like 2

Here's what Softube said:

If that doesn't help, you could try clearing your Audio Unit cache by following these steps.

Make sure Logic is closed.

In Finder, select Go.

In the Go to folder ... field, enter ~/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache/

Remove the AudioUnitCache folder.

In Finder, select Go.

In the Go to folder ... field, enter ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.InfoHelper.plist

Remove the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.InfoHelper.plist

Reboot your Mac.

(Please note, that macOS has several different Library folders. The specific folder in this case is referred to as ~/Library. If you simply click your way via Library in the Finder window, you won't find the files mentioned above.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmitch57 said:

SoundCloud recommends uploading in 24 bit 48 KHz WAV.

https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003452847#typeOfFile

I guess if I were publishing only via SC, that is the sample rate I'd use for the project and for bouncing. In my case, I publish to other platforms as well, platforms which allow higher resolution. I work at 96K, bounce and master at 96/24, and I use an external tool to convert my master to a 48/24 WAV file for SoundCloud upload.

Thanks for that!

They speak of 16 not 24 bit.

Edited by Scriabin rocks
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, David MacNeill said:

Didn't buy the Weiss plugin until after 10/7/8 update was installed, so I don't know. The good news is Softube told me how to clean my Audio Unit cache and it worked!

Ok - yes, this is just the normal "my new plugin doesn't show up in Logic" thing, not a specifically new 10.7.8 bug. Cache deletion is not normally required, but if a reboot still doesn't make it appear, clearing the cache and the infohelper.plist as advised is the way to do it. 👍

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Pressing the Control key while launching Logic Pro now adds an option to launch the Core Audio driver with Audio Unit plug-ins disabled on launch.

This came in handy for a project that would suddenly crash Logic on launch. Opened it up with Control pressed, took out some masterbus plug-ins, saved, booted normally and I was back in business.

Beats re-importing everything in a new project.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2023 at 3:31 AM, polanoid said:

Valid point with the control surface I guess (I don't use any myself). Anything else apart from that?

When using Stylus RMX, it's a lot cleaner to have the multi out aux also be the midi track. So it now doesn't work to record midi or capture midi after playing. With Omnisphere the auxes do work correctly and mid can easily be recorded. It's more an issue with RMX but I don't see an update coming for that any time soon if ever. 

Edited by guavadude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Cannot reproduce this here. Formant shifting works just fine.

Detailed steps to reproduce this?

Just tried and I could not reproduce either, it only happens on one big session, on two vocal tracks. Probably an isolated bug then. Never seen that before. Happens even if i close Logic and restart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigramp said:

Just tried and I could not reproduce either, it only happens on one big session, on two vocal tracks. Probably an isolated bug then. Never seen that before. Happens even if i close Logic and restart.

occasionally, if i have an issue with a vocal and flex pitch, i do a bounce-in-place of the (unflexed) vocal, then work on the BIP track... and that's helped, every time. just an idea!