Logic Pro 10.7.8 is out!

David Nahmani

On 5/27/2023 at 7:23 AM, Stoobysnax said:

Anyone know how to do the whole select a software instrument, and play it while selecting something else thing? Haven't figured it out yet.

Erm. What's that exactly? If it is this: You want to play a software instrument while another track is selected, then just record enable the track you want to play using the "R" button.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:23 PM, Stoobysnax said:

THE GOOD:

GUI performance is WAY snappier than 10.7.7 for me (M1 Pro MacBook Pro)... Zooming, scrolling, but also pressing play, dragging things, etc. Generally just way way better.

CPU also seems to be improved.

THE BAD:

The bug for time based effects on tracks, like Tremolo's, LFO Tool, etc, is still there. If you have side chain on a plugin and any latency inducing plugins, the timing of the effect gets offset depending on latency amount. Makes it so you can't trust that a plugin like LFO Tool will actually snap to the beat. This has been there since 10.6.2 when they changed how busses worked with side chain delay compensation. This is for individual tracks.

THE UNKNOWN:

Anyone know how to do the whole select a software instrument, and play it while selecting something else thing? Haven't figured it out yet.

Absolutely shocked that this still hasn't been fixed or even acknowledged??

I moved from 10.5.1 on Mojave to a new M2 MacBook Pro Ventura and I literally can not use logic, old projects are out of sync and my workflow is now broken because of this! Even version 10.6 seems to have this bug and the worse thing is I can't even downgrade to Monterey to install the working 10.5.1.

I guess we wait another 5 months + to hope they fix it.

9 minutes ago, Ersin said:

I moved from 10.5.1 on Mojave to a new M2 MacBook Pro Ventura and I literally can not use logic, old projects are out of sync and my workflow is now broken because of this! Even version 10.6 seems to have this bug and the worse thing is I can't even downgrade to Monterey to install the working 10.5.1.

i dunno, i've used shaperbox and trackspacer since forever (on a 2019 imac, and now on an M2 pro mini), and never have sync issues (either with synth plugins or audio tracks).

you 'literally' cannot use logic? can't you, at the very least, try bouncing-in-place a part and then using a sidechained plugin on that audio?

19 minutes ago, Ersin said:

This is one of my personal 'pet issues' with Logic (the other being the automation timing issues). I haven't tested it yet in 10.7.8, but I'm not surprised it's still not fixed. I and maybe others have submitted bug reports with straightforward, minimal example projects demonstrating the behavior, so I think they more or less have to be aware of it. Maybe we can hope for a fix in the next major version, but my fear is that maybe they've weighed the development effort involved against their estimates of the number of users affected and decided the timing issues aren't a development priority.

Ahhh I apologise, after some preference tweaking on 10.6.1 I have my old projects in sync again but this brings on other issues like incompatible plugins that for some reason worked in 10.7.8. This will have to do for the time being.

I was being over dramatic, I can still use logic but having to be cautious on which plugins are causing latency issues is a buzz kill. It’s just annoying to realise that apple will neglect a pretty serious issue that’s been ongoing for a year now and focus an entire team of devs to develop an iPad version. This must be a pretty serious issue that might require a complete core audio design. I hope a big update is soon to come, now that they have an iPad version they’ll have to maintain both consistently. Hopefully sooner than later 

2 hours ago, fisherking said:

i dunno, i've used shaperbox and trackspacer since forever (on a 2019 imac, and now on an M2 pro mini), and never have sync issues (either with synth plugins or audio tracks).

you 'literally' cannot use logic? can't you, at the very least, try bouncing-in-place a part and then using a sidechained plugin on that audio?

What version of OS and LP are you using?

5 hours ago, Ersin said:

I know... I've been waiting since 10.6.2 for them to fix this. It's kinda shocking. I suspect it's a huge issue within the code. They$&@+% it up when they "fixed" the bus side chain issues (which I'm thankful for) ... I have no option to use any other DAW, so I'm just dealing with it and printing stuff when I have it right with time based plugins before they go out of whack.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:11 PM, polanoid said:

Set this to 0 ticks in Logic Pro->Settings->Automation. If someone from Apple told you that's a bug (s)he obviously had no clue.

image.png.1c2920f0b13771dc14dd2e80bc15c74d.png

Unfortunately, as you can see in the new video,

https://mega.nz/file/0bxUEJQa#J0qvELUInw23iTy2FRHVBbfYELuQP1F03hbgvSWTCFg

this has nothing to do with "Snap Offset", I tried to set it to Zero but nothing change. Especially on big scale, when the project is really big (like 6-7minute) and you zoom at minimum, the automatic snap automation is not working as it should, I know cause I worked for year with snap automation on Logic 9 and 10 and never had this problem until 10.4 update.

31 minutes ago, ermetic said:

as you can see in the new video

Obviously this is a totally different issue now (as the node does snap to whole bars now, only some bar numbers are skipped).

For a zoom level this low, "Snap Automation -> Automatic" is not appropriate. Just use "Bar" instead.

Edited by polanoid

18 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Obviously this is a totally different issue now (as the node does snap to whole bars now, only some bar numbers are skipped).

For a zoom level this low, "Snap Automation -> Automatic" is not appropriate. Just use "Bar" instead.

It is the exact same context in the previous video, the only difference is the snap offset on zero you suggested. The point is should not skip the division you can see, as I already said I know how it should work cause I used it for years in old logic versions, where it worked perfectly "smart". Thanks anyway for your replies, I know that is something really particular, but for my workflow is really annoying 😔

Edited by ermetic

hi 🙂 my multi instruments (say kontakt with more than one patch loaded but using separate midi channels) stopped working. the first instrument is ok, but when i try recording MIDI on channels other than channel 1, the clip disappears. during recording i see logic "recording" it as i see the clip being created with the MIDI notes i play, but when i stop recording, the MIDI clip disappears. does this happen to others? it only happened when i updated logic..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allanfeliciano said:

hi 🙂 my multi instruments (say kontakt with more than one patch loaded but using separate midi channels) stopped working. the first instrument is ok, but when i try recording MIDI on channels other than channel 1, the clip disappears. during recording i see logic "recording" it as i see the clip being created with the MIDI notes i play, but when i stop recording, the MIDI clip disappears. does this happen to others? it only happened when i updated logic..

Reported multiple times already in this thread. Let‘s hope Apple fixes this soon

• Like 1

Hi guys, is anyone having problems with dragging an audio file inside of Sampler? That's a huge, annoying bug for me. It says "FIle Does Not Exist" and then you need to click twice on "ignore" and switch to one shot for playing the sample. It's a very slow process as well. It always worked fine in the previous versions. 

2 hours ago, FabMartini said:

Hi guys, is anyone having problems with dragging an audio file inside of Sampler? That's a huge, annoying bug for me. It says "FIle Does Not Exist" and then you need to click twice on "ignore" and switch to one shot for playing the sample. It's a very slow process as well. It always worked fine in the previous versions. 

No problem at all here, I just checked. Where do you drag the files from? I tried Finder and Project Audio Browser.

I'm now back to 10.7.7, after I noticed that in 10.7.8 no reasonable recording of audio in the loop is possible.
After the first pass, nothing is recorded, weird regions are created, which are shortened the next time the song is loaded.
In the audio bin it looks very strange - see screenshot.

In 10.7.7. the recording works perfectly, in 10.7.8. this error happens, I have now switched a few times between both versions and made test recordings. Can anyone else confirm this ? My setting for loop audio recording is "Create Tracks and Mute".

This release is really not a stellar performance.

Audio Loop Recording 10.78.png

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

No problem at all here, I just checked. Where do you drag the files from? I tried Finder and Project Audio Browser.

I drag the files from Splice as usual. But now it's not working anymore. Something happened. If I drag files from the finder seems to work well but before it was a little bit faster. 

6 minutes ago, HoraceWimp said:

I'm now back to 10.7.7, after I noticed that in 10.7.8 no reasonable recording of audio in the loop is possible.
After the first pass, nothing is recorded, weird regions are created, which are shortened the next time the song is loaded.

In 10.7.7. the recording works perfectly, in 10.7.8. this error happens, I have now switched a few times between both versions and made test recordings. Can anyone else confirm this ? My setting for loop audio recording is "Create Tracks and Mute".

This update has certainly thrown some interesting quirks. Feels like it was rushed out to enable the compatibility with the iOS version.  

I do get a little worried, when a release date is promised prior (in this case a week)...  but overall, it's mostly been ok.. sort of.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HoraceWimp said:

I don’t see this here. Already tried the usual stuff like trashing the prefs?

Edited by polanoid

there are bugs & quirks in every version of logic (makes me doubly grateful for this forum). and despite the weird name-in-the-mixer-project-import thing (which i seem to be alone in experiencing), am happy enough in 10.7.8. will be happier, i guess, in 10.7.9... or... whatever comes next 🤔

52 minutes ago, polanoid said:

I don’t see this here. Already tried the usual stuff like trashing the prefs?

ah ok interesting, thanks, no I have not deleted the preferences, in 10.7.7. and earlier there are no such problems. But it could try this, that's true. i will investigate further.

Edited by HoraceWimp

2 hours ago, HoraceWimp said:

ah ok interesting, thanks, no I have not deleted the preferences, in 10.7.7. and earlier there are no such problems. But it could try this, that's true. i will investigate further.

some things to investigate:

- does it happen in other modes than Create Tracks and Mute as well?

- does it happen in a fresh new project not created from a template?

44 minutes ago, polanoid said:

some things to investigate:

- does it happen in other modes than Create Tracks and Mute as well?

- does it happen in a fresh new project not created from a template?

thanks, that was a good hint - in fact it doesn't occur in a completely naked project, but in my default project and in pretty much all my other projects. 
At least now I know more precisely where to look for the problem.
Nevertheless, it is reproducibly not happening in all other Logic versions, only in 10.7.8.
Here is a short video of what the whole thing looks like:

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Maybe you can post one of those projects so others can check?

here are two small almost identical projects, only with one audio track. in one project of the two, the loop recording in 10.7.8 works as it should (it was recreated naked) - in the other, after loop recording, there are empty invalid regions except the first cycle , which also look graphically strange in the audio bin.

and as I said, in 10.7.7 or earlier none of the projects make problems, only in 10.7.8.

Yes, it would be great if someone of you could test whether this is also the case there - that would help me to find the cause. Maybe you will find the solution 🙂
Weird, I keep stumbling across crazy stuff in Logic - last time it was the question mark midi regions.
So thank you for your support in troubleshooting. 

10.7.8. Loop Recording Problem - Test.zip

1 hour ago, HoraceWimp said:

here are two small almost identical projects, only with one audio track. in one project of the two, the loop recording in 10.7.8 works as it should (it was recreated naked) - in the other, after loop recording, there are empty invalid regions except the first cycle , which also look graphically strange in the audio bin.

and as I said, in 10.7.7 or earlier none of the projects make problems, only in 10.7.8.

Yes, it would be great if someone of you could test whether this is also the case there - that would help me to find the cause. Maybe you will find the solution 🙂
Weird, I keep stumbling across crazy stuff in Logic - last time it was the question mark midi regions.
So thank you for your support in troubleshooting. 

10.7.8. Loop Recording Problem - Test.zip 764.08 kB · 0 downloads

All good here, but I had to change from Input 7-8 (don't have that many) to Input 1-2. Does that make a difference for you? (UPDATE: even tried on another machine with different audio hardware that has 8 inputs, same result)

image.thumb.png.1734117c2b4823fea720fa210919f54e.png

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1