Logic Pro 10.7.8 is out!

David Nahmani

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I can't reproduce this issue here? Recording MIDI on the main track of a summing track stack works the same as in earlier versions. Have you tried it in a new empty project?

I can confirm here that I cannot record Midi to a sub track of a Multi out instrument (appears to record, but disappears on stop. Also won't accepts "Capture as Recording")

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mattrixx said:

I can confirm here that I cannot record Midi to a sub track of a Multi out instrument (appears to record, but disappears on stop. Also won't accepts "Capture as Recording")

Yes, my mistake, I misunderstood the issue, I thought we were talking about recording MIDI on the main track of a summing stack. 

Just now, mattrixx said:

same here. Sadly this forces me to revert back to 10.7.7.

bug report sent to Apple.

Found a bug, and it’s a tricky one if confirmed - if you attempt to "Paste Channel Strip Setting" on an aux fed from a send from an instrument (audio)  track, it mistakenly pastes the channel strip setting to the instrument (or audio) track itself . . someone confirm, and I’ll write it up . . 

Just a quick thank you to all you early adopters for a nice overview of what to expect upon upgrading.

My workflow makes pretty heavy usage of multi-out plugins and their associated AUX tracks, so it was worth the read just to dodge that one. 

Shame though: some of the changes were enticing.

Edited by zevo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mpmusicny said:

Found a bug, and it’s a tricky one if confirmed - if you attempt to "Paste Channel Strip Setting" on an aux fed from a send from an instrument (audio)  track, it mistakenly pastes the channel strip setting to the instrument (or audio) track itself . . someone confirm, and I’ll write it up . . 

I can not confirm what you write, but indeed the behaviour is incorrect as it pastes the setting to the (first?) selected channel strip, not to the one you chose "Paste" from. Maybe that's what happened to you? (BTW in 10.7.7 this still works correctly, so this is a new bug in 10.7.8)

Edited by polanoid

On 5/23/2023 at 1:02 PM, ozinga said:

Ready? 😅

New in Logic Pro 10.7.8

That’s a ridiculously long list! The round trip compatibility pales in comparison to the bug fixes and enhancements.  It almost seems Apple “snuck in” everything in 10.7.8 without much fanfare.  But reading down the list reminds me just how thorough and powerful Logic truly is.  I rarely use many of these fixed features and I’m a little inspired to stretch my knowledge of the modern Logic software.  More proof that Logic is #1.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mattrixx said:

I cannot record Midi to a sub track of a Multi out instrument

Just for my understanding: What's the advantage of doing so, instead of simply recording on the instrument track (even in 10.7.7, the multi-out sub tracks don't have a rec enable button, BTW)?

Edited by polanoid

5 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Just for my understanding: What's the advantage of doing so, instead of simply recording on the instrument track (even in 10.7.7, the multi-out sub tracks don't have a rec enable button, BTW)?

For me it was mainly a visual thing.  ie If I had a Toms output being processed separately, I would have the toms midi events on that track in the Arrange window. 

The previous sessions that I did this with, still work as is, but now we cannot record on them as we could previously.  So in fact, what I need can still be done.. Just have to move the new regions from the Main track.

3 minutes ago, mattrixx said:

For me it was mainly a visual thing.  ie If I had a Toms output being processed separately, I would have the toms midi events on that track in the Arrange window. 

The previous sessions that I did this with, still work as is, but now we cannot record on them as we could previously.  So in fact, what I need can still be done.. Just have to move the new regions from the Main track.

Or just create multiple tracks using the Instrument channel strip itself, not its auxes. You can even rename them like "Toms", "Snare", "Kick", etc.  Still wondering if there is a real reason to use the Auxes instead (achieving something that cannot be achieved another way)

Edited by polanoid

6 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Or just create multiple tracks using the Instrument channel strip itself, not its auxes. You can even rename them like "Toms", "Snare", "Kick", etc.  Still wondering if there is a real reason to use the Auxes instead (achieving something that cannot be achieved another way)

Yes, this is definitely another approach, however, when using a control surface, I do like things syncing up.  ie If I change the track in the DAW and then goto open a plugin on my S3 for example, I am opening the main tracks inst and plugs.... though I know I should just use the select button on the surface. But I digress...

4 minutes ago, mattrixx said:

Yes, this is definitely another approach, however, when using a control surface, I do like things syncing up.  ie If I change the track in the DAW and then goto open a plugin on my S3 for example, I am opening the main tracks inst and plugs.... though I know I should just use the select button on the surface. But I digress...

Valid point with the control surface I guess (I don't use any myself). Anything else apart from that?

3 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Valid point with the control surface I guess (I don't use any myself). Anything else apart from that?

Mmm, yeah, I was just thinking about that.. and to neb honest, as with many other things, it's just a workflow I got very accustomed to.  Not a biggie really, as you can still drag the midi region/clip onto the aux track. Maybe just the visual aspect of hearing something and being able  to know exactly where it's from.

17 hours ago, des99 said:

If you followed the instructions on the release notes, at the beginning of the thread, you'll have backed up your previous version of Logic before installing the update, so you have the option of reverting - just run whichever version you want.

SCR-20230524-pzy.png.8d06be588d4c7425f74b74a96a7b13e1.png

If you didn't do that, you'll need to recover the previous version from your backups.

I have put all my old versions in a completely separate place:

Screenshot2023-05-25at12_39_26.thumb.png.7aaffb491a5c748918c31593eb029f39.png

Is this ok?

I assume I just need to rename "Logic Pro 10.7.7" to "Logic Pro" and drag it back to the Applications Folder.

1 minute ago, David Nahmani said:

I have no idea. Outside these forums I found one person who couldn't reproduce, and another who reproduced it right away. 

Weird 🤪

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dox said:

But how come it works for Jordi Torres?

He's a magical technical angel. Bugs don't affect him. We all aspire to be like Jordi, but we all come up short... 👍

17 minutes ago, Dox said:

I assume I just need to rename "Logic Pro 10.7.7" to "Logic Pro" and drag it back to the Applications Folder.

Leave it as you named it, then you know which version you're running. 👍

Edited by des99
  • Haha 1

Hey everyone. As someone who’s recently returned to logic I was just wondering what’s the turn around time on some of the smaller bugs like green instrument tracks when the setting isn’t set to static track color get fixed. Do these sometimes happen quick or no? Very happy I have 10.7.7 backed up 

• Like 1

Just now, Q420 said:

Hey everyone. As someone who’s recently returned to logic I was just wondering what’s the turn around time on some of the smaller bugs like green instrument tracks when the setting isn’t set to static track color get fixed. Do these sometimes happen quick or no? Very happy I have 10.7.7 backed up 

Often Apple puts out a quick fix release quite shortly (as in a few weeks) after such a big release. Don't hold your breath though, only Apple knows...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Q420 said:

what’s the turn around time on some of the smaller bugs like green instrument tracks when the setting isn’t set to static track color get fixed.

It's really hard to answer that. Sometimes we've seen bug fix releases come up within a week or two, and other times we've had to wait several months. 

Just now, polanoid said:

Maybe the more new bugs are found and reported, the more likely a quick fix release becomes...

it's just an endless process: bugs fixed, new bugs introduced. there's just no bug-free moment, it's not possible.

when you add up all the logic users, all the variables (the macs we use, the OS we run, the other apps we use, the peripherals, etc etc)... it's amazing anything works 🤣

• Like 3