Logic Pro 10.7.8 is out!

David Nahmani

5 hours ago, polanoid said:

Just for my understanding: What's the advantage of doing so, instead of simply recording on the instrument track (even in 10.7.7, the multi-out sub tracks don't have a rec enable button, BTW)?

The big reason for me is that on a multi-out/multi-timbral instrument like Omnisphere, Kontakt, Battery 4, etc.  these AUX sub tracks control completely separate sounds within those plugins.  In this case you want to be able to record and control midi regions directly on those tracks. Right now 10.7.8 is unusable for me since I do so much of my workflow this way.  BTW, setting up multi-out versions of Omnisphere and Kontact also save loads on the CPU. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, icalone said:

The big reason for me is that on a multi-out/multi-timbral instrument like Omnisphere, Kontakt, Battery 4, etc.  these AUX sub tracks control completely separate sounds within those plugins.

Is this routed via the MIDI out channel? In that case, couldn't you simply create a new track using "New Track With Next MIDI Channel" (which would then use the Multi Out Instrument itself, routing its event to a different MIDI Channel though)?

Edited by polanoid

Just now, polanoid said:

Is this routed via the MIDI out channel? In that case, couldn't you simply create a new track using "New Track With Next MIDI Channel"?

He wants to use the MIDI part on eg channel 2, to sit on the aux track receiving the *audio* from that part, to keep them together, rather than having one track for the MIDI regions, and another track receiving the audio output from that part into the mixer.

This worked in the past (a little surprisingly, as it always felt a bit of a hack), but seems to not work now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, des99 said:

as it always felt a bit of a hack

indeed, see the missing rec enable button, and the non-functional Musical Typing Keyboard.

Anyway from what I understand now this is more an organizational thing, nothing that cannot be worked around for the time being.

3 minutes ago, polanoid said:

indeed, see the missing rec enable button, and the non-functional Musical Typing Keyboard.

Yep, as it's effectively an audio track.

3 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Anyway from what I understand now this is more an organizational thing, nothing that cannot be worked around for the time being.

Quite annoying if all your previous projects have this workflow, and they now no longer playback correctly, though. (Edit: This still play back, they just don't record).

Edited by des99

Anyone else found that freeze button colours have swapped around with this update?

Tracks frozen in Pre-Fader mode now have a blue button, and Source-Only are green, the opposite way from how they've been forever. Don't know if it's an intentional change or a bug!

Edited by AllTheButtons
  • Wow! 1

1 minute ago, polanoid said:

Quite annoying if all your previous projects have this workflow, and they now no longer playback correctly, though.

Problem for me is that I have A LOT of current projects that I still want to record on in this way, not to mention all the Logic Patches I have saved for Omisphere in this way.

20 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

@polanoid,

This is an old workflow some of us adopted back in Logic 9.1.7 days:

J.

Some misinformation on that thread that's for sure (eg "those MIDI regions will play the sounds directly from the Aux tracks" -> no they don't it's still the instrument that plays the sounds. The MIDI is just routed to the Inst).

I've been using 10.7.8 today on a vocal recording session and all the takes are instantly looped (til the end of the project) 🤷‍♂️ Curious bug, as it was not present on prev version as well. It's not killing the workflow, but it's certainly annoying 😠

4 minutes ago, albertneve said:

I've been using 10.7.8 today on a vocal recording session and all the takes are instantly looped (til the end of the project) 🤷‍♂️ Curious bug, as it was not present on prev version as well. It's not killing the workflow, but it's certainly annoying 😠

Make sure you deselect all regions and select an audio track so that you can see the "Audio Defaults" in the Region inspector. Now unselect Loop. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Some misinformation on that thread that's for sure (eg "those MIDI regions will play the sounds directly from the Aux tracks" -> no they don't it's still the instrument that plays the sounds. The MIDI is just routed to the Inst).

🤔 The point of my post was to share a bit of the history of this workflow for those not familiar with it.

J.

5 hours ago, des99 said:

This is what startup templates are for, to have projects set with exactly your requirements that you start new projects from.

I know, and that's what I do.  I jut don't understand why you can't just set your global defaults and not worry about templates.  That's all. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ManFromNapa said:

I jut don't understand why you can't just set your global defaults and not worry about templates.  That's all. 

I agree with you. I too would love the capability to customize the default and not have to worry about templates. I'm constantly creating new files and would rather not have to go through a template chooser every time, and every time I create a new file the first thing I do is turn off the count-in. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zipb said:

Yesterday I was plagued for the first time by wrong latency compensation when using trackspacer(with sidechain input) on a bus, today it seems to be fixed. Serendipity or what?

Trackspacer is a zero latency plugin, so this wouldn't be effected by the Logic delay comp bug.  Try doing the same frequency ducking with Soothe 2 for example.  You will really notice it going out of sync then.  

13 minutes ago, fisherking said:

hmmm. in 10.7.7, every time i added a plugin, the plugin window opened. in 10.7.8, that is not happening (which i prefer). anyone else seeing this?

10.7.8 (and 10.7.7) just respects the "Open plugin windows on insertion" preference for me. Whatever it's set to is how Logic behaves... so no difference between versions in this behaviour here.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, des99 said:

10.7.8 (and 10.7.7) just respects the "Open plugin windows on insertion" preference for me. Whatever it's set to is how Logic behaves... so no difference between versions in this behaviour here.

funny, i've never touched that setting (btw it's checked here). but on 10.7.7, plugins opened every time i added one in the main window; this never happened before. now, they don't open.

i guess the AI in 10.7.8 is working this out for me 👍

It's interesting there are a few new frameworks in 10.7.8 that weren't there in 10.7.7 - some of this stuff I'm sure is to support the LogiPad roundtrip and/or future features in Logic. The new ones are:

- ChordsKit
(looks like the name display of chords - the FR version is do/re/mi etc)

- MAContentTagging
- MAContentTaggingUI
(possibly new browser interface related as per LogiciPad)

- MAPlaySurface

- MASearchKit
(looks like this is possibly related to the new browser interface in the iPad version as above)

- MAUniversalContent

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, fisherking said:

funny, i've never touched that setting (btw it's checked here). but on 10.7.7, plugins opened every time i added one in the main window; this never happened before. now, they don't open.

Try toggling the preference and seeing whether the behaviour sorts itself out. I have seen some buggy behaviour regarding plugin windows not opening on insertion before, so you could be seeing the same thing, although those kind of intermittent issues are often quite difficult to track down/reproduce...

48 minutes ago, des99 said:

Try toggling the preference and seeing whether the behaviour sorts itself out. I have seen some buggy behaviour regarding plugin windows not opening on insertion before, so you could be seeing the same thing, although those kind of intermittent issues are often quite difficult to track down/reproduce...

ironically, after considering them opening a minor annoyance in 10.7.7 (but never bothering me enough to investigate) it's better for me now, so... nothing to do but trust the logic gods...

The input monitoring button for software instrument tracks is not showing up here either. Weird.

I have some questions regarding a few other release notes which I've tried and didn't seem to work the way I expected:

The recording Count-in now reliably starts at the correct position when recording is started in the middle of a measure.

If my count-in is of 1 bar and I hit record at bar 2.3, for example, the playhead jumps to bar 1.1. It still behaves like this. I was expecting the playhead to jump to 1.3 (which is exactly 1 bar behind 2.3). Anyone gets what this update does exactly?

Pasting or using Repeat with a Marquee selection that contains a leading or trailing empty space over an existing region now includes the space in the result.

Not working here either. The existing region is still present in the "supposed-to-be-empty-space" area after I paste a Marquee selection containing empty space.

Dragging a muted region over a portion of another region with the Drag Mode set to No Overlap now truncates the region as expected.

Audio waveforms are now reliably displayed correctly at region borders when zoomed in closely.

I don't get these two either. Any examples?

Thanks!