Logic Pro 10.7.8 is out!

David Nahmani

THE GOOD:

GUI performance is WAY snappier than 10.7.7 for me (M1 Pro MacBook Pro)... Zooming, scrolling, but also pressing play, dragging things, etc. Generally just way way better.

CPU also seems to be improved.

THE BAD:

The bug for time based effects on tracks, like Tremolo's, LFO Tool, etc, is still there. If you have side chain on a plugin and any latency inducing plugins, the timing of the effect gets offset depending on latency amount. Makes it so you can't trust that a plugin like LFO Tool will actually snap to the beat. This has been there since 10.6.2 when they changed how busses worked with side chain delay compensation. This is for individual tracks.

THE UNKNOWN:

Anyone know how to do the whole select a software instrument, and play it while selecting something else thing? Haven't figured it out yet.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they don't fix the +0.1db on volume fader when importing audio files, it's been years.

Also they don't fix then snap automation, the automatic smart mode sucks since 10.4

Edited by ermetic

1 hour ago, ermetic said:

I don't understand why they don't fix the +0.1db on volume fader when importing audio files, it's been years.

Also they don't fix then snap automation, the automatic smart mode sucks since 10.4

Could you give more details please? „Sucks“ isn’t really helpful.

Is this update compatible with Intel?  My M1 updated automatically, and my late model MacMini with intel doesn't show it available even though it runs Monterey 12.6.6.  Anyone?  Anyone?  If it's compatible why isn't Apple recommending it to me somewhere?

5 minutes ago, GregAinOR said:

Is this update compatible with Intel?  My M1 updated automatically, and my late model MacMini with intel doesn't show it available even though it runs Monterey 12.6.6.  Anyone?  Anyone?  If it's compatible why isn't Apple recommending it to me somewhere?

Sure, there are no changes to system requirements.

You should find the update in the App Store, install/update it from your purchased items. The App Store can be flaky regarding showing available updates sometimes.

Edited by des99

6 hours ago, GregAinOR said:

Im on Intel. Just upgraded from BS to Monterey (finally) installer was sitting there a while hence still on 12.6.2 and short time later (after a few quick tests w Logic 10.7.4 (last compat version for BS) downloaded Logic 10.7.8 no probs.

For those who want to backup Logic Pro.app its not a given that it wont overwrite your current version even if you rename it.  Ive only experienced this once before, but it didn't matter because I ALWAYS backup to an external anyway. It did it again after downloading 10.7.8. 

If you want a bullet proof backup, go to external.

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 1.38.44 PM .png

On 5/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, polanoid said:

Could you give more details please? „Sucks“ isn’t really helpful.

Yeah Sorry but I made a topic about this many years ago also talked with the apple support many times and the guy from the customer service confirmed that was a bug but they never fixed this. As you can see for example in this video

https://mega.nz/file/pGYlhJIb#Yx6RFrH9ssYfzUuF6u_Cn-DAC2UaygvMCPVf7ph6pII

at some zoom scale I can't go or create a dot in the exact point I want ( in this case 49), I always have to zoom more then needed, it's really frustrating cause I use snap automation "automatic" a lot in my workflow. It was working fine in the 10.3.3 then after 10.4 update it became really buggy.

In this video I am on LPX 10.7.8 Monteray 12.6.6

Edited by ermetic

1 minute ago, polanoid said:

That's not reproducible here on my machine. Fader stays at 0.0 dB

Ah now I can reproduce it, it only happens when importing from Logic's File Browser, not when you drag from Finder or choose Add Audio File.

YMMV but in my opinion this is a very minor bug.

25 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Ah now I can reproduce it, it only happens when importing from Logic's File Browser, not when you drag from Finder or choose Add Audio File.

YMMV but in my opinion this is a very minor bug.

no matter what path i choose (import from the browser, adding an audio file, dragging from finder), level stays at 0.0...

On 5/24/2023 at 3:57 PM, WolfWein said:

same here. Sadly this forces me to revert back to 10.7.7.

bug report sent to Apple.

For others in the thread: I am revisiting the known bug in 10.7.8 when one is setting up multi-output instruments with one instance of Omnisphere or Kontakt, attempting to record midi on an aux track appears to "record", but as soon as recording is stopped, the midi disappears. 

Does Apple reply back with either a temporary workaround or acknowledgment of the bug to be addressed in a future update?

I'll spend some time today on a workaround. I saw another comment on page 6 where there is an older trick to temporarily assign a track to Multi Inst, set its output MIDI channel, record, and reassign back to Aux, but I would prefer to work only in my multi-output Kontakt template where each output was on its own aux track.

Edited by WCMusician
Added context referring back to page 5 on the original issue.

this is (at least here), an annoying 'bug' in 10.7.8.

when i import a project, some of the instruments get renamed in the mixer window ONLY; weird.

the yellow box is what i imported; in the red box, those channels were originally named what the instrument slot shows (again, they show correctly in the main window). in the mixer, i can't fix the channel names. if i type, for example, 'PHS PLNT' in the channel name box, it reverts now to 'VERSE'.

Screenshot2023-05-28at1_09_31PM.thumb.png.d4cfcf7bc6140bc9de0b96e35f4ee8a7.png

10 minutes ago, WCMusician said:

Does Apple reply back with either a temporary workaround or acknowledgment of the bug to be addressed in a future update?

If you submitted a formal feedback for the issue, you *might* get a response (usually to request further information if necessary), but generally, no you don't get feedback on submitted bugs, or any promises about any action or plans regarding them.

3 hours ago, des99 said:

If you submitted a formal feedback for the issue, you *might* get a response (usually to request further information if necessary), but generally, no you don't get feedback on submitted bugs, or any promises about any action or plans regarding them.

That's what I hate about Apple. And other (mostly big) companies. The lack of communication.

Plain bad service.

Smaller companies are often much better in this regard: I had a question about CCC backup software this friday afternoon, and I received an answer in 8 minutes. In these 8 minutes my backup log had been analyzed and a solution was suggested. 

That's good service.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zipb said:

That's what I hate about Apple. And other (mostly big) companies. The lack of communication.

Plain bad service.

Smaller companies are often much better in this regard: I had a question about CCC backup software this friday afternoon, and I received an answer in 8 minutes. In these 8 minutes my backup log had been analyzed and a solution was suggested. 

That's good service.

the size & scale of these corporations matters, unfortunately. but you can call apple (even out of warranty), and get support, and in that respect, apple is pretty great.

i've always gotten help with OS or hardware issues. and once (some years back), i got to someone who helped with a logic issue. no harm in calling & trying. easier than getting help from meta or google (for example).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, zipb said:

Plain bad service.

Smaller companies are often much better in this regard:

The scale Apple operate on though is difficult to appreciate. Small companies can usually manage this much better as they are operating on a more manageable scale. But yes, customers and developers aren't particularly happy with the way Apple operate their whole feedback system, with generally very good reasons...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fisherking said:

this is (at least here), an annoying 'bug' in 10.7.8.

when i import a project, some of the instruments get renamed in the mixer window ONLY; weird.

the yellow box is what i imported; in the red box, those channels were originally named what the instrument slot shows (again, they show correctly in the main window). in the mixer, i can't fix the channel names. if i type, for example, 'PHS PLNT' in the channel name box, it reverts now to 'VERSE'.

Screenshot2023-05-28at1_09_31PM.thumb.png.d4cfcf7bc6140bc9de0b96e35f4ee8a7.png

just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this....

10 hours ago, fisherking said:

the size & scale of these corporations matters, unfortunately. but you can call apple (even out of warranty), and get support, and in that respect, apple is pretty great.

i've always gotten help with OS or hardware issues. and once (some years back), i got to someone who helped with a logic issue. no harm in calling & trying. easier than getting help from meta or google (for example).

My experiences are different:

Hardware older than 5 years: can't help you.

Broken Mac Pro in warranty with a deadline coming up:  bring it in in 10 days and we will have a look. After making a lot of fuzz I could bring it to a store the same day, but repair took 2 weeks.

Software: I once called Apple on behalf of a client with a Logic question. After a while, I got a foreign UK Apple representative that flatly refused to answer the question because I was not the owner/end-user of the software. I had to hand over the phone to my client and tell him what to say to her.

I can go on for a bit, but I won't.

Apple has plenty of money to have the best client support/helpdesk in the world. Great support is no priority, at least not for Logic and pro hardware.

I will admit they help my mother-in-law just fine if she buys a new iPad and needs her stuff copied. 

14 hours ago, WCMusician said:

For others in the thread: I am revisiting the known bug in 10.7.8 when one is setting up multi-output instruments with one instance of Omnisphere or Kontakt, attempting to record midi on an aux track appears to "record", but as soon as recording is stopped, the midi disappears. 

I'll spend some time today on a workaround. I saw another comment on page 6 where there is an older trick to temporarily assign a track to Multi Inst, set its output MIDI channel, record, and reassign back to Aux, but I would prefer to work only in my multi-output Kontakt template where each output was on its own aux track.

I have the same issue using kontakt and Omnisphere experiencing and it seems more related to those specific plugins rather than Logic Pro itself. The problem only occurs with these 2 plugins and not with Logic Pro's built-in multi-out sampler, I suppose that there may be an incompatibility between the plugins and the version of Logic Pro (10.7.8).

Incompatibilities between plugins and host software can sometimes arise due to updates or changes in either the plugin or the host application. In this case, it could be that Omnisphere or Kontakt are not fully compatible with the version of Logic Pro.
You should check support from the developers as well as Apple of the specific plugins, I've sent them an email an I'm still waiting for a response.