What Logic plugins are available in Logic for iPad?

des99

Ultrabeat isn't there. DMD effectively replaces it (along with Step Sequencer), which appears to be where the desktop app is heading.
Pedalboard isn't there, but individual stompbox plug-ins are all available.
Sampler is playback only. No UI.
Alchemy is limited to the Performance controls.
Everything else is more or less the same as Logic for Mac.
The UIs of almost all plug-ins are radically different as they've been redesigned for touch interaction.

As a tip - in the expanded/full (Details) view of the big plug-ins, such as Sculpture/ES2 - tap the More icon to open a menu where you'll find Show/Hide Section Overlay. Use this to quickly navigate plug-in sections - rather than swiping/scrolling.
Two horizontal bars at the top of the expanded plug-in window let you drag to resize it.
Tap the icon at the top left to close the expanded view.

Edited by oscwilde
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, velanche said:

Well I guess the question of whether third-party EXS files can be imported now seems to be "no," since Sampler isn't available.

If the EXS file is saved in Logic Pro for Mac/saved in a project bundle with (EXS Instrument sample) Assets, then Sampler in LP for iPad should be able to read it. This will need to be verified, but should be OK.
As mentioned - Sampler is playback only, so it will load/play EXS Sampler Instruments just like the desktop version. You just can't edit Sampler Instruments on the iPad in any way....except for setting the volume....so no filters, envelopes, mod, etc., and certainly no sample editing.

Edited by oscwilde
  • Like 2

@oscwildeIf the intention is to start off creating on the iPad, I won't have access to my go-to third-party EXS instruments from there. Yes, I can start a project on the Mac, then transfer it to the iPad, but not the other way around and this was one of the big things I was hoping would be possible on the iPad version. I still hold out hope. 

There's a browser, maybe you can put the sampler instruments somewhere with the Files app that Logic will read and let you open them from the preset browser? Someone said there is a manual for this, would be worth checking...

Edited by des99

The browser (and Files app) is somewhat restricted on iPadOS, but yep I'd imagine this is on the "to do" list for the developers.

45 minutes ago, velanche said:

f the intention is to start off creating on the iPad, I won't have access to my go-to third-party EXS instruments from there. Yes, I can start a project on the Mac, then transfer it to the iPad, but not the other way around and this was one of the big things I was hoping would be possible on the iPad version. I still hold out hope. 

Create a "blank" template (or several) on the Mac that contains your "go to" instruments, inclusive of Assets.
Airdrop.
Use this/these project(s) as your LP for iPad template/default project(s).
This may help:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213666

Edited by oscwilde
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, des99 said:

There's a browser, maybe you can put the sampler instruments somewhere with the Files app that Logic will read and let you open them from the preset browser? Someone said there is a manual for this, would be worth checking...

I actually did check awhile ago, and oddly there does not seem to be a dedicated Logic Pro folder in On My iPad. Not to say that one won't be created if I save a project, but for now the test project that is created in iCloud is all I see. If I see anything different later I'll let you know, but ended there should at least be a "Sampler Instruments" folder in order to make it possible. Again, will have to investigate. 

Thanks for the tip. 

8 minutes ago, Ashermusic said:

What happens when you open a project that uses third party software instruments like Kontakt, or Omnisphere? Does it bring in the MIDI regions assigned to empty software instrument tracks?

Should be fine, with the usual errors in the Mixer plug-in slots ("plug-in not available").
If it completely refuses to import/open on LP for iPad, then you'd need to either remove or replace the plugs before saving/exporting the project from LP for Mac.

Ah, good, thanks. I think what will work best for me is to use AutoSampler to create Sampler versions that I can save in a Project Alternative to send to the iPad. Probably a week of work for my most important ones, but it might be worth it.

Or for live playback from the iPad, which is what I am most interested in, bounce all the parts to audio and play keyboard and sing along with them.

• Like 1

I have thought about creating a template, but the EXS instruments I'm writing about are actually sample libraries that use the patch system, accessible from User Patches in the Library on the MacOS version of Logic. As only one instrument per track can be loaded at a time, I wouldn't be able to choose a replacement instrument for that same track from User Patches. For instance, if the template I load inside Logic for iPad includes a bass instrument from that third-party library, I would not have the ability to choose a replacement patch from my User Library.

I might have to do a workaround and just create a template with bass sounds. I'm not yet sure if I can save patches and have them accessible as User Patches, but I can give that a try. 

I do see that Sampler (multi-out) exists, but it's really barebones without any parameters and it doesn't look like it's quite ready for prime-time in terms of any EXS import possibilities.