transferring Logic Pkg files between collaborators

Bradley Hagen
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I understand that one is supposed to save a Project as a "Package" , instead of as "Folders", in order to share it with another user, whether dropbox, google drive, etc

I am having the most horrific time with this..... I download, unzip, and then try to open the pkg, and it is ALWAYS not finding certain Audio Files, at it is a completely random thing...Anyone out there with similar issues?

Thanks in advance

You *should* always zip up Logic packages *before* uploading - Google Drive and most other cloud services don't support or preserve Mac-specific file attributes, and you'll damage your project.

30 minutes ago, Bradley Hagen said:

Yeah, all assets are to be included upon save

If Logic is complaining it can't find audio files, then it seems that all your assets are not in the package, so check if that's the case.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

I believe that Google Drive zips them automatically on download, but not sure about upload....let me look into that...otherwise, the assets all appear to be there....... I smell a rat here, and that rat is Google Drive, as I have had issues with larger > 2 GB files with them in the past..... that said, I would really like to avoid paying another subscription for Wetransfer or Hightail, or one of the others, but it may be time!

• Solution
9 minutes ago, Bradley Hagen said:

I believe that Google Drive zips them automatically on download

Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about. If they are not zipped on upload, they exist on Google drive (not a Mac filesystem) and already the package attributes and other Mac filesystem attributes are gone, because Google doesn't know anything or support the various features of the Mac filesystem. That's why you zip *before* to preserve that stuff. Eg, Google doesn't know what a "package" is (it's a Mac specific thing), and will turn it into a regular folder, and now Logic won't load it until you fix it (which requires X-Code tools installed to do).

Edited by des99

15 hours ago, Bradley Hagen said:

I understand that one is supposed to save a Project as a "Package" , instead of as "Folders", in order to share it with another user, whether dropbox, google drive, etc

I always save my projects as folders and share them on cloud drives, FTP servers etc. It's recommended to zip the project folder on your Mac as des99 suggested: control-click the folder and choose compress. Then upload the .zip file. 

18 hours ago, des99 said:

Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about. If they are not zipped on upload, they exist on Google drive (not a Mac filesystem) and already the package attributes and other Mac filesystem attributes are gone, because Google doesn't know anything or support the various features of the Mac filesystem. That's why you zip *before* to preserve that stuff. Eg, Google doesn't know what a "package" is (it's a Mac specific thing), and will turn it into a regular folder, and now Logic won't load it until you fix it (which requires X-Code tools installed to do).

We will start zipping before uploading to Google Drive moving forward..... Thanks a bunch for your help!

4 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I always save my projects as folders and share them on cloud drives, FTP servers etc. It's recommended to zip the project folder on your Mac as des99 suggested: control-click the folder and choose compress. Then upload the .zip file. 

Hi David- But then what is the whole point of "Packages" then??  Yes, we will be following the zip advice moving forward....THANK YOU... Man, I wasted hours trying to open ONE project this week over this! UGGGHH!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bradley Hagen said:

But then what is the whole point of "Packages" then??

That's for compatibility with GarageBand where files are saved as packages so that you simply have one project file that contains all media (audio recordings etc...). But it's not as robust a package as a .zip file. 

The point of packages is to store a project, which can be a whole multi-GB mess of hundreds of even thousands of files, into *one* self-contained thing that can be easily moved, backed up etc, without losing a connection to it's contained assets, and without users inadvertently breaking those projects by faffing around with the contents.

Packages are a Mac-wide thing - for example, all Mac applications are actually packages - essentially special folders that contain various info scripts, resources, the actual application binary, other frameworks etc - and letting users easily get at this stuff would mean a lot of people would break them - hence being "wrapped" like this.

You can get inside if you want by right-clicking on a package and selecting "Show Package Contents"...

Edited by des99

So.....zip a package and then upload to Google Drive every time? Or follow David's advice and zip a folder and upload to Google Drive? I am collaborating with one guy (a drummer) who also has Logic, and cuts live drums and then uploads back to Google Drive so I can download and work on it, and then mix...  Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, Bradley Hagen said:

So.....zip a package and then upload to Google Drive every time? Or follow David's advice and zip a folder and upload to Google Drive? I am collaborating with one guy (a drummer) who also has Logic, and cuts live drums and then uploads back to Google Drive so I can download and work on it, and then mix...  Thanks in advance!

Whether you choose to work with a package or a folder, I would zip it before you upload to Google drive. My personal preference is to work with folders, but it's up to you. 

• Like 1

Just now, David Nahmani said:

Whether you choose to work with a package or a folder, I would zip it before you upload to Google drive.

+1

You choice of project format is up to you, depending on your requirements. We all have our preferences, and reasons for choosing them.