Saving Projects

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Opened one of the tutorials and started messing with it, only to realize that I had messed up the tutorial. 

That seems... rather an oversight... How would you use templates then, if everytime you load your startup template and create a song from it, it's overwritten with your song...? Or is that different?

6 minutes ago, des99 said:

How would you use templates then, if everytime you load your startup template and create a song from it, it's overwritten with your song...?

In the File Browser, duplicate the (template) project and give it a name....then open it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Undo operations?

In this case I only realized what happened after I had closed and reopened the file, at which point the undo was no longer available. 

I guess it's a different workflow that will require a bit of adjustment. On the Mac I often open a file to experiment and if I'm unhappy with any of the experimentations I close without saving. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A problem SOMETIMES ? To me this is a deal breaker with logic IPad , this is crazy. sooner or later things are going to get messed up by experimentation or so , I really don’t like this forced live save scheme, I am going to end up with hundreds of versions of the same project trying to protect my modifications, it’s redundant and will become confusing. 

Edited by Krimson
  • Sad 1

It's generally part of how stuff works on iOS though - if you're doing stuff in an app, and you terminate the app, you expect the state to be preserved, so that when you next run the app, you data was as you left it.

This is a slightly different workflow from Macs and the traditional desktop computing metaphor, at least in the majority of cases.

I don't use iOS for productivity, generally, because for me it's a far too limiting platform (for these, and many other reasons). For those who use GB on iOS - does it behave the same, or to you manually have to choose a "Save" option to save your project? I suspect it's the same metaphor, and Apple are just following the platform standard for reasonable reasons.

But it can certainly catch you out if you are using the iPad app, with the workflow habits from desktop computing. I do agree though that coming from the Mac to this, the lack of control over when, where and how you save is/can be a pain, from someone who has learnt to be very intentional about how I save my work over the years.

Learning different habits is part of using a computer system that uses different metaphors for these things though, unless there are enough complaints for Apple to reconsider how they implement this - at least for these Pro Apps. I think it's probably a learning process for them too, as they try to make the iPad more appealing and powerful for productivity uses.

8 hours ago, des99 said:

For those who use GB on iOS - does it behave the same, or to you manually have to choose a "Save" option to save your project?

IOS GB behaves exactly the same indeed. To my knowledge all IOS apps works the same also. When I look at IOS LP, for me, its certainly not Logic Pro. Rather looks like a super Garageband, at the moment at least. I would look at it as a Logic Pro companion.

On 6/9/2023 at 7:05 AM, stratquebec said:

I would look at it as a Logic Pro companion.

I kinda view Logic Remote as a LP companion.....although do see your point.

With more time using LP for iPad, and the obvious lack of my Kontakt/AUi library (and half a million presets😂) on the MacOS version, I've found that I need to edit more synth sounds....and this is where (multi) touch really shines.
While I can edit synth sounds or perform simple tweaks in Logic using a hardware controller (Panorama, Komplete Kontrol, and others), I'm currently enjoying using the iPad for patch creation.
Controls aren't as precise as an encoder in some cases, but I'm finding it really fast as you're not limited to working with "pages" of parameters....and can adjust multiple params simultaneously.
It may be that this is where LP for iPad sits for me....as a quick tool for patch programming/song ideas - and then take it across to the MacOS version for polish, precision, and finishing.