Seems very limited

Okay, so I have spent a few hours messing around today with it. I appreciate that there are some great features but as a platform that is meant to be Logic for the iPad I am rather disappointed. 

Custom Keystrokes from Mac to iPad don't work,

No notation view,

NO event view

You can't  import a movie.....(Cant work in SMPTE)

I keep my projects (on Mac) in folders not packages....The iPad can't open these

Just seems like a tool for bedroom hip hop/beats makers......

I totally get that I will be able to use those elements but as an app that is meant to be Logic for iPad it just doesn't seem to have any "pro" features.

Should've just called it Garage Band Pro

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, hmowday said:

Okay, so I have spent a few hours messing around today with it. I appreciate that there are some great features but as a platform that is meant to be Logic for the iPad I am rather disappointed. 

Custom Keystrokes from Mac to iPad don't work,

No notation view,

NO event view

You can't  import a movie.....(Cant work in SMPTE)

I keep my projects (on Mac) in folders not packages....The iPad can't open these

Just seems like a tool for bedroom hip hop/beats makers......

I totally get that I will be able to use those elements but as an app that is meant to be Logic for iPad it just doesn't seem to have any "pro" features.

Should've just called it Garage Band Pro

Whoa, so no score editor?

Expecting it to be 100% feature identical - at version 1.0 - is probably a little unrealistic.
Given the diffs at an OS level, it may not be technically possible to do "everything" the desktop app can do, even at version 7.0.

I view them as different tools - aimed at different users/usage scenarios.
Sure, there will be some who use both, but there would be a vast number of people whose only Apple device is an iPad....perhaps an iPad is their only "computing" device?
There's also a whole mobile music making "scene" - and while that undoubtedly encompasses bedroom beat-makers, it's not limited to particular genres, a particular platform, nor the bedroom. There are a lot of (generally young) folks out there performing with iPads/laptops and hardware sequencers/synths/drum machines/acoustic instruments....doing some pretty avante-garde jazz and other stuff.
As a general observation as a long-term "synth nerd", a lot of folks have preconceived notions about music technology/synths, and assume that it's only about EDM, hip-hop, etc. and not "real" music.
While a cliche, it's not the tool, but how one chooses to use it.

WRT Logic...
It's clear that there are app differences between MacOS/iPadOS, but almost all plugs made it across....and a couple that don't exist on the desktop version were added.
Full mixer, bar surround/spatial features.
Automation.
a.s.o.
Could it be improved/have more desktop version features?
....yes, of course, but it's clearly a long way ahead of GB, and a significant option for iPad DAWs/the iPad as a music-making platform, even at version 1.0.
I suspect its presence will accelerate the adoption of AUv3, blurring the iPad/desktop platform distinction.
Even with (close to) full plug-in/feature parity, it's likely that each platform will continue to attract different users/be used in different ways.

We'll see how it develops over the coming year or two.

• Like 2

Huh?
It looks like your quote is mine?
NVM....

I fully understand that the iPad version ain't for everyone and have indicated in other posts that I think scoring would be a killer feature on the iPad, particularly with the Pencil.
If it works as a tool for someone, great, but if not, that's totally understandable as everyone has different requirements.
I think - for a 1.0 product - it's a great starting point, with lots of potential for a range of users/uses - and it will cater to an expanding group of users as features like scoring, event list, a.s.o. are added (if this is what Apple has in mind).
It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Edited by oscwilde

On 5/24/2023 at 3:46 PM, oscwilde said:

Expecting it to be 100% feature identical - at version 1.0 - is probably a little unrealistic.
Given the diffs at an OS level, it may not be technically possible to do "everything" the desktop app can do, even at version 7.0.

I view them as different tools - aimed at different users/usage scenarios.
Sure, there will be some who use both, but there would be a vast number of people whose only Apple device is an iPad....perhaps an iPad is their only "computing" device?
There's also a whole mobile music making "scene" - and while that undoubtedly encompasses bedroom beat-makers, it's not limited to particular genres, a particular platform, nor the bedroom. There are a lot of (generally young) folks out there performing with iPads/laptops and hardware sequencers/synths/drum machines/acoustic instruments....doing some pretty avante-garde jazz and other stuff.
As a general observation as a long-term "synth nerd", a lot of folks have preconceived notions about music technology/synths, and assume that it's only about EDM, hip-hop, etc. and not "real" music.
While a cliche, it's not the tool, but how one chooses to use it.

WRT Logic...
It's clear that there are app differences between MacOS/iPadOS, but almost all plugs made it across....and a couple that don't exist on the desktop version were added.
Full mixer, bar surround/spatial features.
Automation.
a.s.o.
Could it be improved/have more desktop version features?
....yes, of course, but it's clearly a long way ahead of GB, and a significant option for iPad DAWs/the iPad as a music-making platform, even at version 1.0.
I suspect its presence will accelerate the adoption of AUv3, blurring the iPad/desktop platform distinction.
Even with (close to) full plug-in/feature parity, it's likely that each platform will continue to attract different users/be used in different ways.

We'll see how it develops over the coming year or two.

Exquisitely worded.

I’d like to add to this disappointment since I’ve been tinkering with this new app as well.  

1. I thought there would be some integration with MacOS- This was the best part about iOS GarageBand to me, I would do demo’s on my phone and then be able to open the project on my computer seamlessly.  

2. No Inter-App Audio extensions- this was another of my favorite features about iOS GB.  I have several MOOG synth apps on iPhone/iPad that are playable through iOS GB.  This seems like a no brainer to have in iOS Logic Pro, but extremely disappointed.

What use is this fancy new app if it’s only for beat tinkering which iOS GB already offered (and more).  The potential utility here is to offer on the go musicians/producers a way to write/record/edit projects remotely with an extension of the core software.  This could be more of an essential tool, but just isn’t something I would ever pay for.  Maybe next time around there will be a vision.

Edited by Mrducks

1 hour ago, Mrducks said:

I’d like to add to this disappointment since I’ve been tinkering with this new app as well.  

1. I thought there would be some integration with MacOS- This was the best part about iOS GarageBand to me, I would do demo’s on my phone and then be able to open the project on my computer seamlessly.  

Huh? Projects are fully compatible with Logic Pro on the Mac. 

That's literally the point here.

I spent some time with the Logic Pro for iPad manual Here re some of my impressions:

I actually think it's remarkable how much is included. If I were a music creator who uses a lot of loops, Live Loops, Step Sequencers and Drum Machines, I could get a lot of work done with it. And the Logic Pro FX and synths and drums etc. are excellent so that would not be a deterrent.

For a more traditional composer/songwriter like me, the lack of a score editor and Event List or even Event Float, which I use more than the Piano Roll (not surprising since I started with Atari Notator S and am a trained composer) make it pretty impossible to do any serious MIDI editing without reinventing my workflow entirely.

What could I use it for?

1. Playing in software instrument parts with included sounds, to get going, later to be swapped out for sampled instruments, edited and refined.

2. Recording vocals, if I buy a good IOS Audio Interface.

3. Preliminary Mixing. I would bounce all the parts to audio in Logic on my Mac, and bring it over, mix, and then if I want, swap out Logic FX for third party FX plug-ins on my Mac.

Now e come however to the elephant in the room, which is that it is subscription only. If it were a one time $199 purchase, I might well go for it, but as a subscription, probably not.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, analogika said:

Huh? Projects are fully compatible with Logic Pro on the Mac. 

That's literally the point here.

I should have been more specific here - the integration is only one way.  I was hoping that this would allow me to open/edit logic projects that were created on my Mac.  There may be the same “one way” compatibility as in iOS GB, but I guess I was hoping for bidirectional at this point in the game.  

11 minutes ago, Mrducks said:

I should have been more specific here - the integration is only one way.  I was hoping that this would allow me to open/edit logic projects that were created on my Mac.

You can. Obviously, Mac-only third-party plugins aren't going to work on iOS, and LogiPad has some limitations (currently, this may improve in time), but it opens your Mac projects, as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, des99 said:

You can. Obviously, Mac-only third-party plugins aren't going to work on iOS, and LogiPad has some limitations (currently, this may improve in time), but it opens your Mac projects, as far as I'm aware.

Opening a project created on a Mac didn’t work for me when I tried it.  Are you aware because you were successful in doing this?  Third party synth apps absolutely work in iOS GarageBand, so I was assuming the same for iPad Logic.  

It was frustrating to learn too that the only way the iOS version is compatible, is if you save your projects as a whole project packages. That is not the way I tend to work. No movie. No smtpe. I would love to have also had the option when using a QWERTY keyboard with the iPad to use the same key strokes as the Mac version. 

40 minutes ago, Mrducks said:

Are you aware because you were successful in doing this?

No, because that’s the way it supposed to work, and plenty of other people have done and have reported on it. As said above, there are limitations - eg projects need to be saved as packages, they can’t use a non-musical grid timeline etc…

41 minutes ago, Mrducks said:

Third party synth apps absolutely work in iOS GarageBand, so I was assuming the same for iPad Logic.

I said specifically “Mac-only third party plugins”, not that Logic didn’t support iOS plugins.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:27 PM, Ashermusic said:

I spent some time with the Logic Pro for iPad manual Here re some of my impressions:

I actually think it's remarkable how much is included. If I were a music creator who uses a lot of loops, Live Loops, Step Sequencers and Drum Machines, I could get a lot of work done with it. And the Logic Pro FX and synths and drums etc. are excellent so that would not be a deterrent.

For a more traditional composer/songwriter like me, the lack of a score editor and Event List or even Event Float, which I use more than the Piano Roll (not surprising since I started with Atari Notator S and am a trained composer) make it pretty impossible to do any serious MIDI editing without reinventing my workflow entirely.

What could I use it for?

1. Playing in software instrument parts with included sounds, to get going, later to be swapped out for sampled instruments, edited and refined.

2. Recording vocals, if I buy a good IOS Audio Interface.

3. Preliminary Mixing. I would bounce all the parts to audio in Logic on my Mac, and bring it over, mix, and then if I want, swap out Logic FX for third party FX plug-ins on my Mac.

Now e come however to the elephant in the room, which is that it is subscription only. If it were a one time $199 purchase, I might well go for it, but as a subscription, probably not.

This is 100% disappointing- the one thing that would have a made a massive difference educationally would have been to be able to import and run a Logic Project with a beatmapped track and score that was made on a Mac so that students could use it as a practise guide  and learn simple elements of the Logic Score Editor - how to transcribe a from the original and make a leadsheet from a beat mapped project.

I was all set to persuade our secondary school to buy a multi ipad license from Apple and invest in some iPads capable of running Logic   - but if there is no Score Editor or the possibility to import ready made Projects with Score and Parts from a normal Mac, then this makes this version a non starter educationally IMNSOHO !

By the way - if anyone who has Logic on  an iPad wants to download an example of the kind of educational Logic Projects I refer to above I would very much appreciate comments and feedback as to how it translates - I wont be buying an iPad in the future if this limitation indeed proves correct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8ntbhvj9mjjuwj/Here Comes the Sun w%3A Lyrics Melody Only - The Beatles Original.logicx.zip?dl=0

PS @Ashermusic would especially value your opinion of this Project on a normal Mac too ... ( perhaps in the normal Logic Forum)?

• Like 1

I would guess that the score feature probably is coming, but just wasn't enough of a focus, or wasn't ready, to get done for the initial release. If it's an important feature for you, then I'd wait and see how Logic for iPad develops over the short term.

I *think* the editors in it so far are a bit limited - eg no score edit, no event list edit etc - so we'll see where they go here, ie whether this is an intentional thing to not bog the app down too much, or whether it's just that those things aren't ready yet, and they're coming later.

• Like 1

I believe score will be a "killer" feature on LP for iPad....particularly coupled with the Pencil - for a certain group of users.

The catch-22 with Logic for Mac scoring features / layout tools, note and stave boxes, menus, a.s.o. in the Inspector is "translating" this to a touch interface. In its current (desktop) form, there's no way that could be just dropped onto an iPad as it would "require" the Pencil....and even then, would be far from optimal to use.
This will require a lot of time/thought/resources to implement for a touch interface.

Give Apple time to add features - as V 1.0 was clearly about "core" functions and fundamental recording/editing/mixing facilities.
I do appreciate the fact that scoring facilities are viewed as "core" functions by some users, but think this release was about getting the base "engine" in place.
This will provide the framework/foundations for score, video timeline, event edit, graphically/technically revised versions of instruments, full Scripter features, etc., etc.
As Jay pointed out, it's remarkable how much "did" make it in to V 1.0.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

To clarify, hope this helps: I'm using LogiPad to play with sound design on transit. I tend to use Logic stock plugins for this most of the time anyway. Moving projects back and forth from Mac to iPad via iCloud is largely seamless for me, as long as, on MacOS, I save them as "packages" and consolidate all project assets.

Edited by grrdjf
  • Like 2