Logic 10.7.8 invented a new note...

FLH3

Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti

On my Logic, set in French,  the individualy played notes are displayed in the control bar in the alphabetical format, c d e f g a b, but the chords are usualy displayed in the  do ré mi fa sol la si format.

But the new Logic just invented the "ti" instead of the si (b)

In the attached pict you can see a "Ti diminish" chord 😁

Capture d’écran 2023-05-25 à 10.45.49.png

Edited by FLH3

2 hours ago, FLH3 said:

chords are usualy displayed in the  do ré mi fa sol la si format.

Wait, what? Seriously! Has anyone in a session gone "Ok, the first chord in the chorus is a 'mi sus2'...? (I'm totally going to do that next time, though! 😉 )

Anyway... the Sound Of Music (basically, that, and a few kindergarten music lessons) taight me "ti" was how we said that here... I've never even heard of Si before... (!)

Edited by des99

I don't know how it was set in the previous versions. And when I set my Logic to be in English obviously it's a ti.

Actualy as I'm suppposed to know what note and what chord, usualy... I play.

I've never used this feature and never paid attention to this display 🤔

Edited by FLH3

to David

I see  CDEF... for the individual notes, when it's a chord it switches to do ré mi.

I was naively thinking that the translation of the app was also for the names of the notes.

Edited by FLH3

5 minutes ago, des99 said:

I've never understood the French!

Unless they need me to open the window - I've totally got that. It's the one thing that stuck from French lessons... Window-opening must be a big thing in France, if it's one of the first things they teach kids.

Just now, FLH3 said:

when my Logic is set in English it displays that:

Is your system still a French system though? It might be reading that from your system instead?

7 minutes ago, des99 said:

Unless they need me to open the window - I've totally got that. It's the one thing that stuck from French lessons... Window-opening must be a big thing in France, if it's one of the first things they teach kids.

And all the French pupils think sitting on a desk with a red hair girls is realy important  in the Eglish speaking world.

I'l affraid the teaching methods don't help to understand the other cultures.

Anyway, no "Ti", unless for a vintage sporty car, in my language! 😁

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I don't think you can set a language for Logic, other than changing the language of your system? 

Yes you can: System Preferences,>Language and Region>App

There you can set logic to your system preference or in an other laguage.

Capture d’écran 2023-05-25 à 14.12.03.png

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 1

Just now, FLH3 said:

And all the French pupils think sitting on a desk  with a red hairs girls is realy important  in the Eglish speaking world.

You'll need to explain that one for me, I don't get the cultural references! 🙂

(As I went to a boys-only school from 11-18, to get to desks with girls of *any* hair colour, we had to escape and then sneak into the girls school... which was admittedly... pretty fun!)

Just now, FLH3 said:

I'l affraid the teaching methods don't help to understand the other cultures.

Yes of course, I was only joking...

Just now, des99 said:

You'll need to explain that one for me, I don't get the cultural references! 🙂

These are the 1st lessons in the English teaching book when I was a kid. Don't remenber the name of the character of the little red hair girl, something like Elizabeth. But it was about desk, chairs, sitting and chalkboard...

• Like 1

Sounds a bit more interesting than all our messing about with windows. Surprisingly, "don't fall out of the window" was never mentioned. Parents/teachers were a lot more relaxed back in the 70s, I guess... 🙂

I never knew about the regional app settings either... 👍

Edited by des99

16 minutes ago, FLH3 said:

There you can set logic to your system preference or in an other laguage.

That doesn't seem to affect the note names though? Still getting C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C after switching to French:

image.thumb.png.22362b7417517e02e3b6209b64fa1a6c.png

Edited by polanoid

1 minute ago, FLH3 said:

Yes, same.

The fun fact is I've never noticed that after years and years using Logic... 🥺 Actualy I AM the problem, not Logic...

Here's another strange thing - mixup of both note namings. Using Logic in any other language than English can be quite funny 😉 image.png.ca9bd6d735eaabd19d9e0658ccff0a92.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Wow ok thanks for that I wasn't aware of it. And you're right, it works! I see the "Ti" now. 

A few years ago I had Logic set in French accidentally and you David, if memory serves, told me how to fix it on this forum, by changing back to English.