Logic Pro X Audio Unit Reported a Problem

antonynbutcher

You have a third-party plugin that is crashing, and you'll need to find out which one by a process of trial-and-error.

If you only have that Mercury-4 plugin in that project, and think it's that one, I haven't had any problems with it, but I don't know your system specs so can't draw any conclusions, so ymmv.

Thanks for your help. I have a base 13" M1 Macbook Pro running Ventura 13.5 or 13.4. I get the message with all Cherry Audio / Arturia / Native Instruments. I've tried opening a new project and just adding one AU and I get the issue after it's been left open for about 5mins. Logic stock plugin's no issue.🤔

• Like 1

Also dealing with this, and also in the process of finding the offender by process of elimination. An odd thing (as mentioned earlier) is that it happens at random times, and not even when Logic is doing anything (the project is just open in the background). So it seems like there's some background process or other background activity that's triggering the error somehow. [Edit: Not necessarily a background process per se - instead I should just say that there's nothing obvious that would cause the error to occur when it does.]

Edited by scg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, antonynbutcher said:

Cherry Audio / Arturia / Native Instruments

I have both a MBP and MBA running Ventura.
Arturia (V-Collection 9/FX/Pigments) run fine in both Rosetta / Apple Silicon native modes.
NI plugs (Komplete Ultimate) run fine (with the exception of a couple of older plugs) in both Rosetta / Apple Silicon native modes.
You might need to update all of the plugs you own.
I don't own any Cherry plugs, so unsure if these have issues.

22 minutes ago, antonynbutcher said:

I've just noticed that it happens every time I've left a project open and I not doing anything on it. When I'm working on the project it happens less🤔

Similar. All I'm doing is opening the project and leaving it open, and it happens anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours after that. (Still working on finding the offending plugin or plugins.)

38 minutes ago, antonynbutcher said:

I've just noticed that it happens every time I've left a project open and I not doing anything on it.

14 minutes ago, scg said:

happens anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours after that

Is there any correlation with power-saving features (both soft and hardware)?
- monitor screensaver or sleep...or simply dimming/low power mode
- drives sleeping/low power mode
- USB MIDI controllers auto-sleep functions
- audio interfaces/low power mode
- network access

Just wondering if it may not actually be a plug-in issue at all, but something broader - given the symptoms you've both described.
It's pretty weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oscwilde said:

Is there any correlation with power-saving features (both soft and hardware)?

Not that I've observed. I think almost every time it's happened I've been using the computer continuously in the interim, with no change of state to speak of for the computer or any peripherals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oscwilde said:

Just throwing some ideas out there and seeing if anything sticks. 😂

They are good ideas 🙂 Unfortunately because it sometimes takes a while for the error to occur, the process of elimination has been somewhat slow, and I'm still working on it. It seems like @antonynbutcher and I are using somewhat different plugin sets though, perhaps even non-overlapping. If that's the case, it suggests either we're both running into unrelated plugin issues, or there's something more general going on.

I just removed the last third-party plugin in my test project (Serum), and as expected the error isn't occurring now. I don't know though whether that means Serum is the culprit, or if it means that all/any third-party plugins are potential culprits (e.g. a system- or environment-level issue), and therefore removing them all fixes the problem. My next troubleshooting step will probably be to create a project with only Serum and see if the error occurs (and then go from there). I'll of course post any findings of interest to this thread...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scg said:

Similar. All I'm doing is opening the project and leaving it open, and it happens anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours after that. (Still working on finding the offending plugin or plugins.)

This is exactly the issue that has been plaguing me for months. The idea that Logic can’t tell you which plug-in is doing it is maddening too.

So far it seems to be down to the iZotope plug-ins that aren’t Ventura compatible. But I also use Native Instruments, Soundtoys, Arturia…

• Like 2

Whether a plugin passes validation (essentially, a test that it conforms to certain specifications) doesn’t really have anything to do with bugs it may have that mean it crashes in use.

Passing validation does not mean it’s guaranteed bug-free!

Edited by des99

Today I left Logic open in the background with a couple third-party plugins active (ShaperBox and OVox, I believe). This is Logic 10.7.8, macOS 13.3.1, 2023 Mac mini.

I've just been letting it sit for very long periods of time. Today it probably sat there for more than 8 hours, and then boom, "An Audio Unit plug-in reported a problem...". If it can really take > 8 hours for the error to manifest, it seems that might make it difficult to troubleshoot. If it can take 8 hours to occur, why not 12, or 16? I'm not sure there's any amount of uptime that would provide a reliable indicator that any given plugin is working correctly.

User error is always a possibility - I've just been conducting these tests in the background while doing other things, and maybe I missed something or lost track of what I was doing somehow. But it very much seems like these errors can take many hours to manifest. And in any case, several people in this thread seem to be observing similar behavior (maybe not the 8 hours part though!).

This is also why I have difficulty trouble shooting this.

The plug-ins you just mentioned aren't ones I own. That either means the problem is quite widespread (in which case I'm surprised there aren't more reports like this), or it could be other details to do with our system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delmatic said:

I've noticed this issue with Arturia Pigments and Chipsynth Plogue OPS7 so far...

Ok, I've got an empty project open with just one OPS7 in the background. I'll leave it open for as long as I can.

For people seeing the issue - have a look at AUHostingService in Activity Monitor - are you getting memory leaks? (Growing memory usage while these plugins are loaded).

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

I don't want to post too many updates here given that this isn't even my thread, but presumably the more information we can gather, the better. So, I tried it with 10.7.7, and am still getting the errors. That of course suggests it's not necessarily a 10.7.8 issue and that something else is going on here. Still haven't been able to narrow it down to a single plugin, but the fact that multiple people are experiencing it with multiple different plugins seems to suggest the problem may not be plugin-specific (possibly at least).

I've only really recently experienced this dialog quite a lot because I'm doing the UVI subscription for a month, and while UVIWorkstation seems generally ok, both Falcon, and Sparkverb, were quite unstable running natively in Logic.

Sparkverb I can get to hang in literally a few mouse actions (which made it practically unusable), and Falcon was better but it would hang/not-respond/give AU errors typically four or five times a day/session and require a try to reload, or killing and restarting Logic more than I've had to for any third-party plugins for a long time.

(This started in 10.7.7 BTW, so is a UVI thing, not a 10.7.8 thing).

I would guess in general the whole running out of process in AUHostingService still has some stability issues, whether on Apple's side, and/or on some third-party sides, and whether, or how much you are affected is, like always, very third-party plugin usage dependent.

40 minutes ago, des99 said:

Ok, I've got an empty project open with just one OPS7 in the background. I'll leave it open for as long as I can.

For people seeing the issue - have a look at AUHostingService in Activity Monitor - are you getting memory leaks? (Growing memory usage while these plugins are loaded).

The problem for me occurs as soon as i try to open up OPS7 if that helps any. Then i get the "Recover or Quit Logic Pro" Message.

I'm on Mac M1 Pro, 16 Gb, Monterey 12.6.6 If that matters.

On 10.7.7 this did not happen

Ok. So i made a more thorough investigation...

I tried Rosetta mode and everything works fine.

I then went back to Native mode and disabled MIDI 2.0 in MIDI Settings. Then suddenly everything worked again... 🙂

Kinda strange how it changed from version 10.7.7 to 10.7.8. Nonetheless i'm happy i now can start using some of my fav plugins.

• Like 2

I know Rosetta works, where did you get the idea to turn off MIDI 2.0?

I’ve had the problem since 10.7.7 and it typically occurs in the background rather than when opening a specific plugin, so it’s hard to know when it’s gone.