Why is Low Latency Monitoring required here?

kotrl

I'm recording MIDI (but directly monitoring the drum's internal sound module, mixed with my audio interface's output, to avoid the latency you sometimes get with plug-in drums)

When Low Latency Mode is off, the MIDI turns out to be late by at least a beat or two. With Low Latency Mode on, all is great.

This somewhat confounds my understand of latency, which I thought was only relevant to monitoring audio or MIDI that's going through Logic.

On the instrument's track and output, only some stock plug-ins.

But I'm not monitoring the output of the instrument from Logic, I'm the monitoring the instrument directly.

Of course there are plug-ins across the result of my mix, but my understanding was that Logic should be compensating for these. 

Edited by olifrost

6 minutes ago, olifrost said:

But I'm not monitoring the output of the instrument from Logic, I'm the monitoring the instrument directly.

Yes, but you are, I believe, playing along with what you hear from Logic, correct? You're not just recording your drums in isolation, not hearing anything else? So if what you hear in Logic is delayed, you're trying to play along with an already delayed signal, which is why your timing is off.

And this is all to do with what plugins you have on the audio path in Logic, and why you should disable high-latency plugins when tracking in Logic.

Edited by des99

Yes that's right. And that's the main thing I don't understand: surely Logic knows the point in time at which it actually output audio, and compensates for that. If it didn't then all our tracks would play out of sync, because some would take longer to process than others.

Edit: It looks like some of this was discussed in an older thread: 

Edited by olifrost