Midi problem

NoFuture
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

Indeed, that means the MIDI file is broken. Can you post it so someone can have a closer look? Also in case this was caused by a bug in L9 which has been fixed in the meantime.

BTW your user name wonderfully matches your choice of Logic version 🙂

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

When dumping this via https://g200kg.github.io/midi-dump/, you can see that there are lots of note numbers greater than 127 (they're all 192, actually, and all in NoteOff messages for whatever reason), something that is not allowed in MIDI.

So Logic has no choice but to revoke that file.

I wonder how it was created in the first place?

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NoFuture said:

Mate it works!!! What's the trick??

One way would be to download and compile midicsv (https://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/midicsv/midicsv-1.1.tar.gz), then use a command line somewhat like this in the terminal

./midicsv ~/Music/MIDI\ Files/D%2001.mid |grep -v "Note_off_c, 0, 192" | ./csvmidi > "D%2001 fixed.mid"

There might be more elegant solutions, this is just what quickly came to my mind.

Edited by polanoid

• Solution

Hi @NoFuture,

On 5/30/2023 at 9:51 PM, NoFuture said:

Mate it works!!! What's the trick??

This time around I just opened your file with MidiKit (shareware app) and used its "Fix" functionality:

MidiKit Batch Actions - Fix

With your file, applying "Filter Redundant Data" was all it took to get rid of all the junk Logic didn't like (the Note Offs polanoid mentioned).

However, with that specific file, other DAWs I have (Ableton Live, Pro Tools Intro) were not as picky as Logic and opened the file just fine, ignoring all the crap data. 

On 5/31/2023 at 3:01 AM, des99 said:

bugs don't affect him

😂 Yeah right, they are the bane of my existence! 

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hi @NoFuture,

This time around I just opened your file with MidiKit (shareware app) and used its "Fix" functionality:

MidiKit Batch Actions - Fix

With your file, applying "Filter Redundant Data" was all it took to get rid of all the junk Logic didn't like (the Note Offs polanoid mentioned).

However, with that specific file, other DAWs I have (Ableton Live, Pro Tools Intro) were not as picky as Logic and opened the file just fine, ignoring all the crap data. 

😂 Yeah right, they are the bane of my existence! 

J.

Thanks a lot mate. Not sure tho if I can get that midikit work in my Mac Pro 2009 but I'll give it a try. Thanks again 

53 minutes ago, NoFuture said:

Thanks a lot mate. Not sure tho if I can get that midikit work in my Mac Pro 2009 but I'll give it a try. Thanks again 

If it doesn’t work and you‘re not afraid of using the Terminal, try my solution I gave above. Works equally as well 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoFuture said:

MidiKit has been around for a long time, I’m sure you’ll find a version that works on your version of macOS by visiting the all downloads page:

https://www.mixagesoftware.com/downloadables/

J.

• Like 2