Default Expression value for track

paulcristo

Hi @paulcristo,

Sounds like you are referring to External MIDI tracks, the ones that are assigned to Multi Instruments objects in the MIDI Environment?

The answer is no. At least not in the track inspector as there is no Expression parameter there like there is for Volume.

However, you could create a Multi Instrument object and default CC11 (Expression) values for its channels from the Mixer and save the project as a template...or import the layer that contains the preconfigured Multi Instrument object so you can reuse it in other projects. Maybe too much of a hassle for default Expression values.

J.

On 6/3/2023 at 5:34 PM, Jordi Torres said:

Hi @paulcristo,

Sounds like you are referring to External MIDI tracks, the ones that are assigned to Multi Instruments objects in the MIDI Environment?

The answer is no. At least not in the track inspector as there is no Expression parameter there like there is for Volume.

However, you could create a Multi Instrument object and default CC11 (Expression) values for its channels from the Mixer and save the project as a template...or import the layer that contains the preconfigured Multi Instrument object so you can reuse it in other projects. Maybe too much of a hassle for default Expression values.

J.

Thank you so much for you help. Apologies for my tardy reply.

Your idea is great. One caveat: The specific sample library I'm using (Sample Modeling Winds) requires input of CC11 before it will generate any sound and I'd like to automatically send CC11 data upon pressing play to get around this. Your method doesn't send the data unless I physically move the knob on the mixer. Is there an object in the Environment that will send data automatically? Thank you for the help.

Hey Paul,

Oh, so you're actually dealing with a software instrument, not an external instrument. Why don't you just place a small region at the beginning of your timeline with a CC11 event to get your instrument going? Or are you using it standalone outside Logic for some reason?

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres

26 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hey Paul,

Oh, so you're actually dealing with a software instrument, not an external instrument. Why don't you just place a small region at the beginning of your timeline with a CC11 event to get your instrument going? Or are you using it standalone outside Logic for some reason?

-

Sorry. I should have clarified. I'm using an External MIDI track to trigger a VEPro software instrument machine. I could put a region at the beginning of the session as you suggested, but I was just looking for a more elegant way to accomplish my goal. 

• Like 1