How do you disable record on ALL tracks

Amazingly Andrew

This is driving me nuts. 

I have say, 40 tracks. They don't all fit on the screen at once. So I will start recording on a track not realizing that another track on the other end of the session was already record-enabled from 10 minutes ago, so now I'm erasing that track unwittingly. Then I have to try to recover the lost tracks. It's a frustrating waste of time.

I just want to make it so that when I'm done recording on a track, I can disable record, and when I go and enable a different track somewhere else, I know that it will be the only track that is record enabled. If this isn't possible, I think I will just switch back to Pro Tools--I can't take it anymore! 😉 

f

2 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hi Andrew,

You can always invoke the "Record Off for all" command (look for it in the Key Commands window) in case you forget to record-disable any tracks you previously recorded on.

If you have a MIDI controller at hand you could also try this approach:

J.

That is good to know, however it does not solve my problem. Even if a track isn't record-enabled, if it is the selected track (and therefore has a red R) it will go ahead and record anyway, even if I have used the "Record off for all" keyboard command. 

Do you know how I can turn off this "feature" where the selected track will always record even if you haven't record enabled it? (i.e., get rid of that pesky red R)

Hi Andrew,

19 minutes ago, Amazingly Andrew said:

Even if a track isn't record-enabled, if it is the selected track (and therefore has a red R) it will go ahead and record anyway

Simply manually click on the R button of the track you actually want to record to and the pesky red R on other selected tracks will turn off.

J.

4 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hi Andrew,

Simply manually click on the R button of the track you actually want to record to and the pesky red R on other selected tracks will turn off.

J.

Hi J.,

See video below--I can record enable/disable other tracks all day and the pesky red R stays put. Do you know of a preference I can change so that the red R is no longer a thing?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew

4 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Thanks for the video Andrew.

Here's how it is for me in Logic 10.7.8:

PeskyR.gif.e7999fa1b3601664fbbd6c7ece6afe8b.gif

In Logic 10.7.7 the red R remains but nothing gets recorded on the selected track if the others have been manually rec-enabled:

PeskyR_10.7.7.gif.222bbc513364ee77749b6e405876202e.gif

What version of Logic and macOS are you running?

J.

Interesting! That's what I want! I have 10.7.4 on Monterey.

1 hour ago, Amazingly Andrew said:

Interesting! That's what I want! I have 10.7.4 on Monterey.

Here's on that same setup:

PeskyR_10.7.4.thumb.gif.4a9101ee205906e5304eb4b79e448339.gif

Maybe be try resetting your preferences? Logic Pro menu > Preferences > Reset All Preferences Except Key Commands...

If that doesn't do it then quit Logic and move its preferences file to the desktop, then launch Logic again:

/Users/your username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist

J.