Cannot solo or put effects on Stack

edurbrow
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

I can't see any mixer solo buttons active in that screenshot, so if it's representative of Logic when you are having this issue, perhaps you are using the (different) region solo command? Then, because the (open) track stack track you have selected has no regions on it, so the behaviour would be expected. (No regions selected, region solo engaged, nothing plays as no regions have been selected to play).

There's a difference between soloing regions, versus soloing tracks/mixer channels.

Although it doesn't look like you are in solo mode at all, as the transport is still blue. What is the screenshot trying to show?

Edited by des99

I closed Logic and restarted. Didn't help. I just may be misunderstanding. I can solo each individual track fine. I cannot click the solo button of the stack and hear the voices in it.
Is there a way to check what kind of a stack it is? I thought I made a summing stack. Does it make a difference? As I recall I could always solo a stack.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 9.14.45 PM.png

They are only muted because the Solo button is on. I can turn S off and make sure they are not muted, but when I try to solo the stack the M buttons blink.
Thank you. It will probably seem obvious when we find a solution

BTW the M button on the stack has no effect either. However if I turn the on/off button of the stack off, all those tracks are muted.

Edited by edurbrow

8 hours ago, edurbrow said:

I closed Logic and restarted. Didn't help. I just may be misunderstanding. I can solo each individual track fine. I cannot click the solo button of the stack and hear the voices in it.
Is there a way to check what kind of a stack it is? I thought I made a summing stack. Does it make a difference? As I recall I could always solo a stack.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 9.14.45 PM.png

Can you show the whole mixer? Screenshot still doesn't show e.g. routings.

• Solution
8 hours ago, edurbrow said:

Is there a way to check what kind of a stack it is? I thought I made a summing stack.

Yes that's a summing stack. A folder stack would have just a volume (VCA) fader on its main track.

I still suspect that the routing is wrong though in your summing stack (you didn't answer my question if you have checked that yet), as what you describe is exactly what happens when the sub tracks of the stack are not routed to the main track's input bus.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, polanoid said:

Yes that's a summing stack. A folder stack would have just a volume (VCA) fader on its main track.

I still suspect that the routing is wrong though in your summing stack (you didn't answer my question if you have checked that yet), as what you describe is exactly what happens when the sub tracks of the stack are not routed to the main track's input bus.

Forgive me, my knowledge of Logic Pro is not deep. I just selected the tracks, right clicked and chose create stack -> summing stack.
You are absolutely correct. The output was set to Stereo Out. When I changed it to Bus 5, it worked. I must have seen that the  tracks were set to a buss and thought they should be set to stereo out. I guess Logic automatically creates and changes the outputof the stacked tracks to a buss and makes that the input of the master. The name of the tracks was reflected in the buss names.
Thank you.