Midi tracks orchestral samples delay

Ryvius

Hi everyone,
Can you me find the solution to this issue using LogicPro when composing? I use orchestral MIDI samples, and there's a slight delay so all the MIDI tracks are slighty out of sync. I've tried fixing it with the Track delay feature and decreasing it but it's still a hassle because I have many tracks and just listening by ear with the metronome and decreasing the values is not perfect. Is there another way to solve this issue and have all my tracks perfectly in sync?
Would something like bouncing all my tracks help me or is there a better solution? I've been looking for ages, and all I see are the same tips about the track delay...

Do you mean a delay because you are using plugins in your mixer which are inducing latency, or do you mean there is a slight delay when using orchestral samples like Spitfire Audio's, where they intentionally sample the sound from *before* the transients to retain the character of the samples, and so generally "speak" late?

Edited by des99

Thanks for replying. No I'm not using any plugins, I'm talking about the latter, the intentional delays in strings and woodwinds/brass from the Spitfire Audia/Sine/Nucleus libraries I'm using. On most of these I've added from -75ms to -150ms delays but it's not really perfect, and just using my ear with the metronome is not the best option I feel on 50+ tracks. Is there a tool, an AI, a plugin maybe that could help with this task?

Ok, then this is intentional, and most composers learn to "play ahead" a little when using these late speaking samples. You can advance the track or region with negative delays, although this will vary depending on the instrument.

There is no automatic tool I'm aware of that will move your instruments to where they "feel" the best for any given part in an arrangement.

Maybe try adjusting the start times of the libraries directly in their engines and save them as new patches? Some libraries have an attack time slider although they usually don't go in the negative. 

I know that is an issue for a lot of sample libraries, usually I just eye ball it and drag the midi a little bit to the left but every manufacturer and library will be different.   

• Like 1

Somewhere over on Gearspace someone has a shared document that catalogs the negative delay needed to account for that kind of programming. (Might’ve been David Kudell, if memory serves…?) But no, there’s nothing that’ll do it automatically, so you’ll need to set those delays manually or simply drag the MIDI notes or the entire regions appropriately ahead of the beat.

But also, I’d contend that pushing to make everything sound too perfect has the adverse effect of then making things sound less human, less realistic…

• Like 1