Samsung 27-inch ViewFinity S90PC 5K Monitor Review

@David Nahmani asked for a review of the above. I received it today. I’ll say that I’m immediately impressed with the difference a matte screen makes - this monitor went in the same location I had had my 27” iMac Pro and it is much easier to read/see what’s on it see the photo attached.IMG_0066.thumb.jpeg.0ba7a40d455ca4540ac5d2b87e5d2526.jpeg

The packaging was reasonably sturdy but the monitor was definitely not as well protected as Apple’s stuff - and Samsung also still use foam for padding.

I was also surprised by both the fact of, and the size of the power brick - its about as thick as a Mac mini and 1.5 x it’s size one way and about 3/4 the other. 

Initial turn on after careful assembly - don’t bother trying to read the directions in the ‘Quick Start Guide’ the useful bit is figuring out the diagrams on it (cables for TB, DP[full size? to mini] and a USB-C to to USB-C) and it behaves like a smart TV, WiFi connecting itself to the network independently of the computer, it has a remote about the same size as the AppleTV’s but more reminiscent shapewise of the old Apple Remote (circa 2012?) the remote has a USB-C connection for charging. Selecting PC as the input option and it connected immediately to my Mac Studio where I could configure it to the correct side of the other display and change its screen setting to the next one up from default (I think it was called ‘A little more information’) - I suspect when I get it to its long term location I will be able to go to the even smaller fonts etc setting.

I haven’t tried the camera that peers periscope like over the top of the monitor - which comes with a physical little magnetic cover for the lens. 

• Like 2

Just happened across this comparative review 

Where I am the price difference is much greater - a matte screen, adjustable stand would take the Apple Studio Display to slightly more ($2) than double what I paid for the Samsung. 

Haven’t had the screen long enough to comment about uneven colour etc.

Okay a couple of days use - nothing productive as its been resuming interrupted downloads for the NI stuff that doesn’t recognise it’s still there on another drive and one by one relocating the ones that do or trying again and again to get the full Logic Sound Library to successfully download. Such I guess is the price for being determined to have a ‘clean setup’ of a new system.

But back to the Monitor - there are two things I have noticed about it that I don’t like [one minor one a little more serious]

A. The more serious - if it goes to sleep it ejects anything connected to the Mac Studio through its hub, this is an annoyance as it means that those ports aren’t as useful as they could be.

B. The minor - when turning on the Studio the old Apple TB Display wakes up far quicker than it does: the login screen is showing on the Apple TB Display while it’s still thinking about starting. The same from sleep.

I’m still very happy with it overall.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rAC said:

B. The minor - when turning on the Studio the old Apple TB Display wakes up far quicker than it does: the login screen is showing on the Apple TB Display while it’s still thinking about starting. The same from sleep.

I have the same issue with my Huawei monitor. Worse, sometimes it won't wake up at all and it takes me all kinds of banging on the keyboard, disconnecting and reconnecting, and finally restarting before I can get it to show me the login screen. Very annoying.