MacOS Sonoma is out. Please report any plug-in incompatibilities.

2 hours ago, petbuc said:

Sonoma and Logic doesn't work for everyone: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255181495

I also have frequent System Overloads using only a few tracks an a MacStudio M1Max 64gb. That worked smoother before the update to Sonoma. And this is the first time since my first Mac in 2006 that i wish i hadn't updated ... 

I have playback cut out with a click sound for a couple of seconds with Cubase as well. So I think it is more of a general problem. I have Sonoma 14.1

Edited by ozinga

4 hours ago, petbuc said:

Sonoma and Logic doesn't work for everyone: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255181495

I also have frequent System Overloads using only a few tracks an a MacStudio M1Max 64gb. That worked smoother before the update to Sonoma. And this is the first time since my first Mac in 2006 that i wish i hadn't updated ... 

every version of everything (like the OSes, and logic) has issues for some people; those issues need to be sorted. but overall, reports here (and on macrumors and kvr, for example) are mostly pretty-good. for me, it's been pretty great.

if you're getting system overloads, worth exploring; make sure your 3rd-party plugins are all up-to-date, and ask for help (with details about your setup, etc) here.

One change I've become aware of with Logic on Sonoma, over Monterey that I was previously running 10.7.9 on.

Logic comes with frameworks for loading legacy Logic projects - this is how it can load LP 7.x - 9.x projects (and possibly earlier 10.x projects too). So in LP 10.7.9 on Monterey (on this M1 MBP), I can load LP 7.x projects just fine (and do regularly).

On Sonoma though, trying to load the same projects in 10.7.9 gives a warning dialog, and then usually, Logic crashes.

SCR-20231030-rkhs.png.1e62d55b4c32c9b9100a87c631539506.png

This sort of suggests the older legacy project frameworks that are trying to be used are not compatible with Sonoma, even though Logic itself is.

So - if you have an older library of LP7 projects that you haven't needed to convert to LPX, because you could just load them when you needed too (guilty!), they suddenly become inaccessible, unless you have an older Mac running on something earlier than Sonoma where you can upconvert them to LPX projects.

Whether this is a temporary oversight, or standard behaviour going forward I don't know - we'll see how any new versions behave in this regard, but it's important to know (unless you have a handy forum friend who offers a legacy Logic conversion service. This wasn't intended to be an ad, honest!)

It has made me a little more twitchy about going through and upconverting all my old stuff (and I've already re-done my old Creator/Notator, and Logic 2.x projects, batch converted with Keyboard Maestro). But I'll likely do all my LP 4.x-9.x projects as a precaution, just in case modern machines running Logic can no longer load them, and my old MBP running Mojave I use for conversion machine dies).

Edit: This behaviour seems fixed in 10.8, old projects now load correctly again.

Edited by des99
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, des99 said:

One change I've become aware of with Logic on Sonoma, over Monterey that I was previously running 10.7.9 on.

Logic comes with frameworks for loading legacy Logic projects - this is how it can load LP 7.x - 9.x projects (and possibly earlier 10.x projects too). So in LP 10.7.9 on Monterey (on this M1 MBP), I can load LP 7.x projects just fine (and do regularly).

On Sonoma though, trying to load the same projects in 10.7.9 gives a warning dialog, and then usually, Logic crashes.

SCR-20231030-rkhs.png.1e62d55b4c32c9b9100a87c631539506.png

This sort of suggests the older legacy project frameworks that are trying to be used are not compatible with Sonoma, even though Logic itself is.

So - if you have an older library of LP7 projects that you haven't needed to convert to LPX, because you could just load them when you needed too (guilty!), they suddenly become inaccessible, unless you have an older Mac running on something earlier than Sonoma where you can upconvert them to LPX projects.

Whether this is a temporary oversight, or standard behaviour going forward I don't know - we'll see how any new versions behave in this regard, but it's important to know (unless you have a handy forum friend who offers a legacy Logic conversion service. This wasn't intended to be an ad, honest!)

It has made me a little more twitchy about going through and upconverting all my old stuff (and I've already re-done my old Creator/Notator, and Logic 2.x projects, batch converted with Keyboard Maestro). But I'll likely do all my LP 4.x-9.x projects as a precaution, just in case modern machines running Logic can no longer load them, and my old MBP running Mojave I use for conversion machine dies).

I had to dig out my G5(it still worked) the other day to convert an old(2003 or so) Logic project to something I could open on my Monterey/LP latest machine. Luckily I remembered where I put the emagic dongle.

I still have a bunch of Atari floppies with Notator songs from the (19)80-ties, but If I need something that ancient, I listen to a LP/CD or cassette copy of the recording, and just re-record everything/the parts I need. I don't have any of the hardware I had then(eg tapemachines, SMPTE readers, samplers) so using the original material is just not feasible. 

Thanks for the heads up, BTW. Planning to stay on Monterey for a while.

• Like 1

Ok, after deleting/undoing delete one track after the other  it seems like Kontakt 7 (from Native Instrument) causes the problems. It is not officially Sonoma compatible. Ujam Virtual Guitars produce a heavy load, but no overload.

Thanks for your support !

15 hours ago, petbuc said:

Ok, after deleting/undoing delete one track after the other  it seems like Kontakt 7 (from Native Instrument) causes the problems. It is not officially Sonoma compatible. Ujam Virtual Guitars produce a heavy load, but no overload.

Thanks for your support !

Yeah, pretty much none of the developers whose products I've used have said they're compatible with Sonoma yet. Props to all their QA teams but I'm not updating until much later when they all say things are fine, and I regretfully can't take users' word for it.

14 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

Yeah, pretty much none of the developers whose products I've used have said they're compatible with Sonoma yet. Props to all their QA teams but I'm not updating until much later when they all say things are fine, and I regretfully can't take users' word for it.

there is a world of difference between 'not yet supported' and 'not working at all'. just mentioning. 

i've been running sonoma since beta 1, and all my plugins have worked, altho many were not (and are still not) 'supported' yet. but do what works for you 👍

okay i dont know but i have a Problem in Logic Pro i dont know if this has anything to do with the newest MacOS version but my pitch correction plugin causes that all of my entire Mac sound disables when i play to loud Sounds like snapping or Even louder singing After Hours of Trouble shooting Ive found out that when i disable "neural pitch detection" everything works fine but im still a bit sceptical about that maybe its a other problem but ive went through all my interface options all my mic Settings everything and nothing changed anything till ive found that setting in the pitch correction plugin so i guess it must be the plugin which causes the sound issue.

but please feel free to disgust :)

Updated to Sonoma from Monterey about 2 weeks ago. Mostly it's been fine, except I just noticed that I was having CPU overload issues (clicks and pops and one CPU thread randomly jumping up to 100%) on one of my projects during playback.

Started disabling plugins one by one, and discovered that it was Brainworx / Plugin Alliance bx_subsynth causing the issue. I have 7 Plugin Alliance plugins, so I tested all of them, and they all cause the same problem.

Not a show-stopper for me luckily, I'll just use something else until they fix it.

I don't think this is Logic related, but it is a Sonoma problem.

I get this message and the stock Sonoma wallpaper every time I start up my iMac in the morning. BTW I did NOT shut down because of a problem. Does anyone have any idea as to why?

IMG_7396.png.04730ec5e77e63d101a7f095be08595e.png

On 10/30/2023 at 8:08 PM, des99 said:

Whether this is a temporary oversight, or standard behaviour going forward I don't know - we'll see how any new versions behave in this regard

Happy to say this seems fixed in 10.8 - I no longer get the above dialog when loading old songs, and the load as expected again - which is great! 👍

I'm facing a serious issue graphics issue after downloading Sonoma 14.1.

Below is only a sampling of the graphics mayhem that has ensued. It is observed on all recent Logic versions, back to 10.6.2, hence my concern that it is Sonoma. 

No, I didn't back up my OS. The feedback on Sonoma was persuasive enough. A cautionary tale. 

While I value feedback, my most vital question is, what happens if I download Ventura again? Has that rubicon been crossed? 

Mac Mini mid-2018.

GraphicsIssueinSonoma14.1.gif.92ff2e83ca87061461066ee77af38b68.gif

Edited by Plowman

Thank you for your post. No file in my computer exists that is not A. On my hard drive, B. On a second attached jump drive, and C. On my iCloud. I back up everything to the point of absurd redundancy. Alas, I did not back up Ventura 13.4. It was invisible to me. So in this I was remiss.  I need to return to Time Machine more habitually. I had seen TM to be redundant to my already redundant backups. 

Having reset PRAM and NVRAM, I worked for a couple hours without the above documented issue. If I feel it’s been rectified, I’ll post back. 

Having reset PRAM and NVRAM, I worked for a couple hours without the above documented issue. If I feel it’s been rectified, I’ll post back. 

It did nothing. I also spent forty-five minutes with Logic / Apple support, removed all other Logic versions, and a lot of other settings trials. All for naught. 

I'll continue this discussion of the thread that David linked. Only after the fact did I realize that this is a Sonoma / plug-in compatibility thread. This is an Apple to Apple issue, no plug-ins. 

• Sad 1

Just went from Monterey to Sonoma yesterday. Had to update some plugins and Eventide Blackhole seems to be renamed somehow. I still get a bit of hanging when launching Logic in the "scanning audio units" dialog which was introduced in Monterey but besides that everything seems more responsive.

Something is strange with the changing tool behaviour though (shortcut T), every time I change tool it's not instant anymore, it takes a second to update the tool I've chosen. If I change to scissors and instantly cut like I used to, it won't do it because it hasn't updated yet. 

I'm not sure this is Sonoma or Logic 10.8 related because I updated both at the same time. 

Can anyone replicate this? 

13 hours ago, Kraft said:

Something is strange with the changing tool behaviour though (shortcut T), every time I change tool it's not instant anymore, it takes a second to update the tool I've chosen. If I change to scissors and instantly cut like I used to, it won't do it because it hasn't updated yet. 

I'm not sure this is Sonoma or Logic 10.8 related because I updated both at the same time. 

Can anyone replicate this? 

no I couldn't. instantaneous for me. 

• Like 1

Softube:

Ops... Softube Central wanted an update, so I allowed it. Everything fine. Then all 13 Softube plugins wanted an update too, downloading as I type.... 

Now I read this🫣Bildschirmfoto2023-11-20um14_33_09.thumb.png.f15fc9db339ac6d559ea84dbbab8c71f.png... we shall see, we shall see... 🥶

P.S.

I see now... Grrrr, it is installed, shows in ilok and Softube Central.

Bildschirmfoto2023-11-20um15_04_10.png.92732d37b84d24739ebb06ba7c614259.png

Edited by Scriabin rocks