Step Editor + Drummer = 💔

puppskaft
Go to solution Solved by Mania,

Hey, how's it going guys!

I wanted to try this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6-aErrmswI&t=1070s but Step Editor is greyed out.

Apparently they changed things in the 10.5.x update and I can't find an answer to this. Several people in the comment section are confused and even the video poster replied: "Someone else asked that question. I've tried to replicate this and I can't. With my Step Editor open I can easily step through each segment and edit the elements of the drummer part. Is the track locked? Frozen? Might be a good question to throw into one of the many Logic forums. Let me know what you find out..."

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by puppskaft

12 minutes ago, puppskaft said:

With my Step Editor open I can easily step through each segment and edit the elements of the drummer part

That was definitely a bug in Logic (seemingly fixed in 10.5.x) that the video guy exploited. Drummer regions are created by Logic's Drummer and are not meant to be edited by the user unless they explicitly convert the Drummer Region to a MIDI Region (thereby taking away control over the region from the Drummer), at which stage also the Step Editor works again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mania said:

That was years ago. Now we have something much much better. It's called pattern region and it works with a drum machine designer and drum designer. 
Just search on youtube : pattern region/editor Logic. Have fun. 

NO. WAY. 😳
How did I not know about this?! Man, this is so cool! Thanks a lot for telling me about this!
Well, this is my Friday night!! 😂 

Thanks again!! 

Edited by puppskaft
OT
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, polanoid said:

That was definitely a bug in Logic

Wow, I had never seen that bug before. Cool bug though! 🙂 

It would be interesting to find out what version of Logic Pro the author of that video is using? 

Meanwhile @puppskaft the only workaround I can think of is to first convert the Drummer region to MIDI then edit it either in the step editor or piano roll, whatever's more convenient for you. 

I agree that pattern region and the step sequencer are very cool features but you can't convert a Drummer region to a Pattern region (even if you first convert it to a MIDI region). 

19 hours ago, polanoid said:

That was definitely a bug in Logic (seemingly fixed in 10.5.x) that the video guy exploited. Drummer regions are created by Logic's Drummer and are not meant to be edited by the user unless they explicitly convert the Drummer Region to a MIDI Region (thereby taking away control over the region from the Drummer), at which stage also the Step Editor works again.

I totally missed that part in the video. Sorry. Why is this not a FEATURE in drummer? Even when this was a bug, i imagine when you used the XY pad to influence the performance,  you would lose those edits. So just get the performance close to where you like it then convert to midi then pattern region if necessary. 

6 hours ago, puppskaft said:

Is this what you mean? 

Yes. 

7 hours ago, Mania said:

Why is this not a FEATURE in drummer?

My guess is, while it's possible to tell Drummer "come up with a drum beat that has the kick on 1 and 3 and the hi-hat playing 1/16th notes, and a fill every 8 bars", it isn't possible to tell Drummer the same thing plus "but never play a crash on the downbeat after a fill".