Logic Pro 10.8 is out now!

David Nahmani
Message added by David Nahmani,

For an overview of how to use the new features in Logic Pro 10.8, read the following article: 

Just now, Myron said:

Why don't I see the new version in the App Store or in Updates? If I remember correctly I used to be able to find updates in the Logic Pro X GUI.

That has not been the case since Logic Pro was released in the App Store, probably longer – I do not remember Logic ever had an update mechanism. Launch the App Store.app (Apple Menu => App Store) and check. If it doesn't show up, press Command-R for a refresh. If it still does not show up: you are on macOS 13.5 or later, correct? It will not show up on incompatible versions of macOS.

55 minutes ago, Myron said:

Why don't I see the new version in the App Store or in Updates? If I remember correctly I used to be able to find updates in the Logic Pro X GUI.

I can't find it...

I found it. I need to go further into the App store. I'm up and running

2 hours ago, user01 said:

when are they going to make the resolutions of these audio waveform graphics look high quality, it looks a bit dated that way, 

example fl studio audio has a much softer look 

Logic's audio waveform display leaves a lot to be desired.

From all audio editors I've used in the past decades, Audiofile-Engineering Wave Editor had the best waveform view options for my taste, with fully customizable colors. Sadly, those color options were gone when Wave Editor was "up(?)graded" to "Triumph". (That said, I bought the resurrected Zynaptiq bundle upgrade nonetheless because Spectre and Myriad alone are worth it.) Meanwhile, after a few years I've got accustomed to iZotope RX with its combined waveform/spectrogram view which is an absolute killer feature for what I do with audio files. I never use the built-in editor in Logic, in fact.

Edited by loukash

10 hours ago, analogika said:

Soloed Aux channels now include audio sent from tracks that are in a Summing Stack

OMG YES

"Delay Compensation with side-chained plug-ins is now calculated accurately.

Time based plug-ins now sound correctly when placed after high-latency plug-ins with Low Latency Mode enabled."

and double OMG... has anyone seen if this is true / works??? Been waiting years for these.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nathanimal said:

Well... sort of. There are only six possible LCD colors... Red, Yellow, Green, Indigo, Blue, Magenta.

7 if you count black - someone on a windows machine did a hack to get colours on their strips and found the X-Touch only supported 7 - and black’s not much use. Still 6 is better than none:-)

• Like 1

Ventura did introduce some kind of thread scheduling issue on Apple Silicon that affected DAW use a bit as intermittent core spikes. It might be limited to certain plugins because I have a couple small songs that do it and a couple that are bigger that are totally fine. It’s hard to say whether it will affect you or not.

35 minutes ago, Stoobysnax said:

Hows everyones experience with Ventura? Scared to upgrade.

I literally just updated about an hour ago from Monterey. Installed Logic 10.8, so far so good. All third party plugins are working as well. Hope I don't jink it!

FYI Ventura has been out for a year now and most companies have offered Ventura compatibility quite some time ago. You don't have to be scared... just create a back up of some sort (Time Machine, etc) and update. If anything goes wrong just revert back.

56 minutes ago, Stoobysnax said:

I'm heavily into Apollo's / UAD... 

Also a bunch of hardware synths / midi... Just worried something will stop working.

My system includes 2 UAD Apollo X8P interfaces and quite a few UAD plugs - all are working great for me on Sonoma, so Ventura should definitely be smooth sailing.

Logic Pro is a great program. I learned it with a pirated PC version of Logic 5.5. Previously, I worked on Cubase. I chose Logic because of its cool mixer, instruments and other plug-ins. Then I bought an iMac and Logic 9. I'm still updating Logic Pro. There is no other DAW that has such excellent plugins and a sampler with a great sound library. I can say with full responsibility that with Logic you can record any song in any style without buying a plug-in from another company. And I updated it all for almost free. I just had to change my computer to a newer one. So many advantages. More than 20 years have passed. Looking at the program which is probably logic's biggest competition. I can say that in terms of midi and audio editing, not much has changed in logic. I'm still waiting for: Plug-in search engine, moving grid in piano roll so that you can see the swing grid - other programs have it, moving channels in the mixer, drum editing track like in the oldest competing DAW, Velocity in the form of bars. Pitch Flex is great, but unfortunately it doesn't sound good, you have to use other plugins. Maybe I'll wait 🙂

9 hours ago, user01 said:

image.png.d80d937c7df1e52c32952de69ba92ddd.png

when are they going to make the resolutions of these audio waveform graphics look high quality, it looks a bit dated that way, 

example fl studio audio has a much softer look 

image.png.806df14bae80bab3e03d66f2471713b2.png

I love how the waveforms look in Logic. At least on a Retina display it looks perfectly fine for me.

• Like 1

Ventura is quite a solid os for logic. It’s especially stable as of right now and for me been the most compatible for old plugins with Rosetta 2. I’m able to run plugins from 10 years ago that stopped working on Mojave so for anyone worried about commuting to update don’t hesitate. I can’t say the same about sonoma. I’ll have to wait for that until I’m forced to do so. 

• Like 1

I am confused on the process to backup Logic. The GIF at the top of this thread. What I can see, is that a copy (as per right click on Logic app, copy or duplicate?) is generated and then renamed with the older version number, while the original (older version) stays where it is. However, in the same folder the older renamed versions reside as well. 

Reading that apple document on backup logic, it seems a different procedure to my understanding, or is that the same. I just need to follow step by step instructions in order to not f*%@ up something, which I am an expert in. 😂

My Logic projects are not on the system drive, the all reside on an external SSD, and a backup on external HDD. So that is safe anyways.

Back up the Logic Pro application

To back up your current copy of the Logic Pro application:

Create a new folder in the Applications folder. Name the folder with the name and version of the application (for example, "Logic Pro 0.2.4"). To check the version of Logic Pro you have, open the application and choose About Logic Pro from the Logic Pro menu.

Select the Logic Pro application in the Applications folder. Choose File > Compress "Logic Pro." It will take a few minutes to compress. 

Move the resulting "Logic Pro.zip" file into the folder you created in step 1.

Move the folder containing the .zip file to a backup drive.

Now what should I do? Also, after I created a backup, will  I just search for the update in the App Store and load it from there, I assume so, just want to be sure. 

P.S. I am on Ventura 13.6.1, the Appstore does not offer me the Logic 10.8 update, not yet, perhaps this takes a while to reach the store, not sure.

Edited by Scriabin rocks

26 minutes ago, Scriabin rocks said:

I am confused on the process to backup Logic. The GIF at the top of this thread. What I can see, is that a copy (as per right click on Logic app, copy or duplicate?) is generated and then renamed with the older version number, while the original (older version) stays where it is. However, in the same folder the older renamed versions reside as well. 

So....

1. Control-click the app and choose duplicate
  2. Update from the App store (only one of the two apps will be updated)
  3. Check the version of the two apps, and rename them accordingly ("Logic Pro" for 10.8 and "Logic Pro 10.7.9" for 10.7.9).
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stoobysnax said:

Hows everyones experience with Ventura? Scared to upgrade.

Since I updated to Sonoma last week everything is fine. Women have been throwing themselves at me. My phone hasn't stopped ringing with corporations and governments offering high paying commission work. Everything I am producing sounds like the Berlin Philharmoniker and Daniel Lanois had a lovechild ...

oh ... and I've been able to run Logic Pro 10.81 in my new studio.

doyoulikemystudio.thumb.webp.91d37855fae60b52eae91f1d0bda8d6a.webp

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, fisherking said:

came home a day early lol so i could update logic and play around.

so far so good, i have a lot still to explore. the mastering plugin is... nice, but, A-B'd with ozone 11 advanced, ozone is better-sounding (and of course, has far more options). still, 'mastering' is no slouch.

running stable on sonoma 14.2beta. will see how things go over the next several days. but great to see all the new (& hopefully fixed) stuff 👍

I also made some comparisons with Ozone and for me it depends on a track. Some sounds better with Logic MA others with Ozone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

Really glad to see they finally fixed that side chaining bug.  It really grinds my gears that I would have to buy a new Mac in order to get that critical and long overdue bug fix.

looks like a nice release though.

Is it REALLY fixed this time? They told us several times before that it was, but it actually wasn't.