Half of Waveform Showing

BobbyT

1 hour ago, BobbyT said:

This file imports properly. 

I don't see much of a difference between this file and the previous one except for this one being stereo and not having the LGWV chunk.

You can check for yourself here (use the file chooser on the right):

https://uttori.github.io/uttori-audio-wave/

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2023 at 8:29 PM, David Nahmani said:

I can reproduce the issue! And refreshing overviews does not help. In fact the waveform looks wrong in the Tracks area and in the Track editor, but looks fine in the File editor. 

Weird! First time I see this.

And indeed when exporting the region as audio file, as mono like the original, using the same sample rate (44.1k), bit depth (24) and file format (WAV), the file resulting from the export does not show the issue, event though its contents are perfectly identical (as verified by phase cancellation test).

Very weird issue, I have no explanation for this, as Logic should only use the file's content for the overview creation.

BTW even changing the gain in the audio file editor by as little as 0.1 dB will result in a proper waveform being displayed, but undoing that change will get you back to the half waveform again.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, polanoid said:

Very weird issue, I have no explanation for this, as Logic should only use the file's content for the overview creation.

I agree, it must be something in the way the PCM data is encoded by DP7 that recent versions of Logic don't "like".

Did you get a chance to import the problematic file in an older version of Logic? I could not reproduce the issue with that file on Logic 10.6.3 (unfortunately I don't have access to anything newer right now). 

J.

@polanoid Thank you for looking into it. Very weird for sure. 

@Jordi Torres I only have the current version of Logic, so I have yet to check this issue in other versions. I am a brand new Logic user (DP & PT for 20 years) and while I'm super excited to move forward, this has certainly given me pause! There is some comfort knowing that you and @David Nahmani haven't seen this before and it is not a typical Logic bug.