Remove space (silence) between MIDI notes?

globet
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

To my observation in Logic 10.7.9, no legato key command will do this (only two are available, and they affect only the note ends).

If these were regions and not notes, Shuffle Left/Right would work. And those two commands are listed in the KC window under "Main Window Tracks and Various Editors." But they appear only to work in Main > Tracks on regions, even when notes are selected and Piano Roll or Score have the focus. 

Surprisingly, I can see no KC that does this function. We'll see what others find. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Plowman said:

To my observation in Logic 10.7.9, no legato key command will do this (only two are available, and they affect only the note ends).

If these were regions and not notes, Shuffle Left/Right would work. And those two commands are listed in the KC window under "Main Window Tracks and Various Editors." But they appear only to work in Main > Tracks on regions, even when notes are selected and Piano Roll or Score have the focus. 

Surprisingly, I can see no KC that does this function. We'll see what others find. 

@David Nahmani @des99 any ideas?

• Solution

Here's a workaround: 

1. In the Tracks area, click at the beginning of the MIDI region with the Marquee tool. 
  2. Use the Right-arrow key to move the Marquee point to the beginning of the first note. 
  3. Press delete to cut. 
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 to cut at every note start and end. 
  5. Set your drag mode to "Shuffle Left".
  6. Choose Edit > Select > Select Empty Regions. 
  7. Press delete. 

You're done! 🙂 This can be done actually quite quickly. 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Here's a workaround: 

1. In the Tracks area, click at the beginning of the MIDI region with the Marquee tool. 
  2. Use the Right-arrow key to move the Marquee point to the beginning of the first note. 
  3. Press delete to cut. 
  7. Press delete. 

This is a nice creative approach, it works. The only issue is with the "Edit > Select > Select Empty Regions." This selects all the empty regions in the whole project. How do you make this track specific?

Edited by globet
  • Like 1

Key Command: "Deselect All Regions/Cells Except on Focused Track."

"Deselect Outside Locators" might also be of help. 

(You'll have to assign these. There are no defaults.)

Lest it go unrecognized, the key command globet was looking for should exist. Indeed, I wonder if the shuffle commands that I noted as listed under "and Various Editors" is intended to perform this uncomplicated task in Piano Roll and is currently not working. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Plowman said:

Indeed, I wonder if the shuffle commands that I noted as listed under "and Various Editors" is intended to perform this uncomplicated task in Piano Roll and is currently not working. 

I don't believe the Shuffle Left and Shuffle Right key commands are intended to work with MIDI events (which would create its own challenges as you can imagine with non-note events, chords, overlapping notes etc...). 

The Shuffle Left and Shuffle Right key commands can shuffle regions in any editor that has a ruler (Tracks area, Audio Track Editor, Piano Roll, Score editor) and also in the Event List. 

3 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Just out of interest - is there any meaningful use case for this? The result would most probably sound very un-musical...

I often work with sound design in Logic (either within a production or as prep for future music production), in this context MIDI notes might have multiple meanings and being able to also shuffle MIDI notes would be very useful for me in that setting. 

I can also easily see it being helpful when working with slices in loop-based sample instruments that are often chromatically spread (which is what the original poster's screenshot indicates).

• Like 1

If you don't mind a little - very repetitive - key command dance, select the first note in the Piano Roll and then repeat the KCs

- Go to Selection End

- Select Next Region/Cell/Event or Move Marquee End (or Marquee Point) to next transient

- Move Region/Event to Playhead Position (Pickup Clock)

until the last note is done.

shufffle.gif

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 6

On 11/29/2023 at 11:19 PM, David Nahmani said:

Here's a workaround: 

3. Press delete to cut. 
  7. Press delete. 

I still like this method as it really is fast but how come the "Shuffle Left" doesn't always work?

9 hours ago, polanoid said:

If you don't mind a little - very repetitive - key command dance, select the first note in the Piano Roll and then repeat the KCs

- Go to Selection End

- Select Next Region/Cell/Event or Move Marquee End (or Marquee Point) to next transient

- Move Region/Event to Playhead Position (Pickup Clock)

until the last note is done.

shufffle.gif

As mentioned in my previous post… 😉

• Like 3

• David Nahmani changed the title to Remove space (silence) between MIDI notes?