Is it possible to live-preview third party samples in DMD?

campbejo
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi,

The nice thing about using Drum Machine Designer with the Library content is that, if I navigate to "Kit Pieces", I can preview different sounds (e.g. kick drum) while the track is playing back. So I only have to click once on the keyboard (arrow down) to preview many different samples quickly.

My question: Is there a way to do this with 3rd party drum samples?

If I navigate to my 3rd party sample library (using All Files on the right side), the best I can achieve is to drag and drop each new sample directly into the Quick Sampler window.
This is a lot slower than the behavior when using the samples from the Logic library.

I have read about the 'untagged loops' feature, but this is not the feature I'm looking for.

Alternatively: is there a way to add your own 3rd party samples so that they appear on the left-hand side in the library (Electronic Drum Kits > Kick Pieces > Kicks)?

I had a look at the library folder structure, but it's not immediately obvious where new samples should be placed to have them included in this list.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Solution
20 hours ago, campbejo said:

if I navigate to "Kit Pieces", I can preview different sounds (e.g. kick drum) while the track is playing back.

These "Kit Pieces" are software instrument patches. In the inspector, you can see the blue Library triangle pointing to the Settings button of the right channel strip, which corresponds to the selected cell in Drum Machine Designer: that means that selecting a patch in the Library will load the patch on that channel strip (notice that you can see the name of the patch in the Settings button, as well as at the bottom of the channel strip). 

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 10.44.09 AM.png

You can save your own patches and include 3rd party software instrument plug-ins (which can be samplers with your own samples) as well as and 3rd party effect plug-ins. They will be saved under Electronic Drum Kit > Kit Pieces > Use Kit Pieces Patches. You can then select those in the Library during playback and preview them while your drum groove is playing. 

Ah, okay, yes.
Thanks David.

Then I guess what Atlas007 was pointing to was also correct.

My ultimate aim was to speed up the workflow a little - or to breath life into the hundreds and hundreds of drum samples I have in different folders.

But now I can see that there has been quite a bit of prep work done to the Library samples to get them to be able to preview while the track is playing back. Which is not work I can realistically carry out on my folder of "3000 rad snare drums", or whatever.

So I guess I'll just continue dragging and dropping.

Thanks for your help though. Appreciated.

14 hours ago, campbejo said:

But now I can see that there has been quite a bit of prep work done to the Library samples to get them to be able to preview while the track is playing back. Which is not work I can realistically carry out on my folder of "3000 rad snare drums", or whatever.

You might be in luck finding that work as already done, in this LPH topic hosted by @des99. I’m not sure but I think he might also offer this kind of service on a professional basis?