Logic Pro X Mono vs Stereo Bus

Paul L
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi,

Can someone please explain when busses should be changed to mono or stereo? For example, if I have two mono bass tracks panned centre and bus them for group processing would I want to change the bus to mono? Alternatively, if I had two mono tracks panned off centre would that be a situation where I would want to keep them in stereo? 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Paul L said:

if I have two mono bass tracks panned centre and bus them for group processing would I want to change the bus to mono?

Yes, you're feeding your bus (and the Aux that has that bus selected as an input) a mono signal, so you might as well set the input format of the Aux to mono. 

3 minutes ago, Paul L said:

Alternatively, if I had two mono tracks panned off centre would that be a situation where I would want to keep them in stereo? 

Yes, exactly. 

3 minutes ago, Paul L said:

Can someone please explain when busses should be changed to mono or stereo?

You've actually answered your own question, and very well! 😄 I'm not sure what else to add.

Basically if you are feeding the Aux a mono signal you may as well have its input format be mono, although having it set to stereo won't really hurt, it just means you'll be inserting stereo plug-ins on that Aux, which may or may not be an issue. 

If you are feeding the Aux a stereo signal then you need the input format to be stereo, or you're summing to mono at the input of the Aux, meaning you're losing the stereo information at that point in the signal flow. 

Thanks so much! I'm just a bit unclear if two mono tracks grouped together = a mono aux or if they become stereo? 

Also, if you are sending mono tracks that are panned and then to an aux is it best practise to actually pan the aux instead or just keep the tracks themselves panned and leave the aux pan alone? 

Thanks again!

• Solution
3 hours ago, Paul L said:

I'm just a bit unclear if two mono tracks grouped together = a mono aux or if they become stereo? 

No, they do not. Stereo means that you have two different audio signals, a Left audio signal that feeds the left speaker and a Right audio signal that feeds the right speaker. The difference in the two signal is what creates the perception of stereo width or sounds being located further to one side. 

If you have only one mono signal and feed that same signal to both speakers, then the sound appears to come from a single point located right in the middle, between the two speakers, with no width.