Keyboard only transmitting on channel 1

Benoit Jutras

Hello,

i just bought a komplete external keyboard that only transmits on channel 1 but I need a keyboard that can transmit on all 16 channels. 

is there any way that logic can transform it’s receiving channel easily?

(as an exemple, my strings patch have legato on channel 1, staccato on channel 2, tremolo on channel 3… so I need a really fast way to change from one to the other while being stuck with this keyboard only transmitting on channel 1

thank you. 

Hmm, it's always worked for me - here's an example on Logic 10.4.8.

I'm playing notes on MIDI channel 1. When I set the channel to 1, you can see the instrument in Kontakt that responds to channel 1 gets the MIDI data, and when I change the MIDI channel to 3, the second instrument set to respond to MIDI channel 3 gets the notes:-

Kapture2023-12-01at20_47_23.gif.c1a0fbe99ff38e40f8ef920592b20542.gif

The MIDI channelisation happens in real time, so you won't see different MIDI channels recorded into regions - the events will retain their original incoming MIDI channel, they will just rechannelise to this setting on playback.

If this is not working for you, can you please describe exactly what you're doing and we can investigate.

Oh, i actually see what you mean. Yes, if I change the channel to let’s say 2, it will play out on channel 2… but only on channel 2.

The way I am working, my orchestra is built on a slave computer. On my violins 1 instrument, I have my legatos on channel 1, my staccato on channel 2 and so on, so I need to record and play back multiples channels on the same track. 

with a keyboard that can change the transmitting channel, I simply changed the transmitting channel on my keyboard before recording but now I can’t as my komplete only sends channel 1 

i am so grateful for your help. Thank you. 

11 minutes ago, Benoit Jutras said:

Yes, if I change the channel to let’s say 2, it will play out on channel 2… but only on channel 2.

Yes, that's the point. If you don't rechannelise, and leave it at "All", then it will pass through the events on the original MIDI channel unchanged.

The way I am working, my orchestra is built on a slave computer. On my violins 1 instrument, I have my legatos on channel 1, my staccato on channel 2 and so on, so I need to record and play back multiples channels on the same track. 

Why? Just have different tracks, with their own MIDI channel, and you can choose which articulation you want to play by selecting that track. Using the cursor to shift up or down a track seems quicker than changing the keyboard's transmit channel on the fly.

with a keyboard that can change the transmitting channel, I simply changed the transmitting channel on my keyboard before recording but now I can’t as my komplete only sends channel 1 

Sure. Now, instead of changing the transmit channel on your keyboard, you just switch tracks. You can have multiple tracks all routed to the same instrument.

You *could* instead put in rechanneling via the environment on the way in, but you'd need MIDI buttons and some cabling to switch channels (or an open environment window with graphical buttons), and this would take a little bit of setting up and seems a lot more clunky.

• Like 1

Yes, i understand. As I am in the middle of a project though, it would take too much time to change my orchestra to separate the tracks (I work with Vienna Ensemble, so I would have to change everything in there and just create tones of new instances.) but I will try to work around with the information you gave me (while waiting for my new keyboard) 

i suppose thatyour second option would work well (creating in environnement) but I am not whiz enough to do that I think 😀

thank you so very much for your help and your time. 

24 minutes ago, Benoit Jutras said:

As I am in the middle of a project though, it would take too much time to change my orchestra to separate the tracks (I work with Vienna Ensemble, so I would have to change everything in there and just create tones of new instances.) but I will try to work around with the information you gave me (while waiting for my new keyboard) 

Yep, I understand!

It's worth experimenting with changing up your existing workflow, it's possible you could find a better one, but I also understand if you don't want to do that, at least for now.

Which NI keyboard are you using BTW? I have an A49, and these Komplete keyboards are a pain to change this with the editor software. All my channelisation and MIDI routing though is done by selecting the appropriate track in Logic...