No audio signal in Logic Pro 10.7.7 with Focusrite 18i20

tasstimes
Go to solution Solved by tasstimes,

Hi all, 

I upgraded to a Focusrite 18i20 and am not getting an input signal in Logic Pro. My old Focusrite 6i6 (now sold) was working in Logic. 

If I play back an existing audio project from Logic Pro, I hear it back in the headphones via the Focusrite. 

If I test a mike input level I do get a clear signal from the Focurite Control interface outside of Logic. 

I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Focusrite for the 18i20 from their website. 

If I open a new project in Logic, set both Input and Outputs to Focusrite 18i20, set the track to Record and test the same mike, I get no input signal at all. 

I don't know if this matters, but I have an M2 and the audio drivers are only for the M1. I tested all Inputs in the Record track and none of them have any signal in Logic, but the Focusrite Control does have a signal coming through. 

I also tried closing Logic after installing the drivers, opening Logic again, setting the Input/Output to other options, saving, then changing again to the Focusrite drivers, but no dice. 

Mac: M2

Logic Pro 10.7.7

Focusrite Control 3.16.0 - Mac

Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks much!

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 9.23.39 PM.png

@Jordi Torres Thanks for the suggestions. My Mic Mode was set to standard, and I'm not seeing the plist file for Logic here to trash. Could that be part of the problem that the file doesn't exist to begin with?

Also did a re-boot for grins, but no luck. 

If I hit the Phantom Power button on the Focusrite, I see a quick spike in the input level in Logic, but then it fades away and then there's nothing.

Still getting a clear signal in Focusrite control, just nothing in Logic.

I was also using a Hub for the USB from Focusrite and I tried instead plugging it in directly to the USB-C input with an adapter on my Mac. No luck. 

Screenshot2023-12-03at12_00_13PM.png.a297a7a38d8750908a1f71e54c91679f.png

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 11.55.36 AM.png

Edited by tasstimes

9 minutes ago, tasstimes said:

@Jordi Torres Thanks for the suggestions. My Mic Mode was set to standard, and I'm not seeing the plist file for Logic here to trash. Could that be part of the problem that the file doesn't exist to begin with?

Also did a re-boot for grins, but no luck. 

If I hit the Phantom Power button on the Focusrite, I see a quick spike in the input level in Logic, but then it fades away and then there's nothing.

Still getting a clear signal in Focusrite control, just nothing in Logic.

Screenshot2023-12-03at12_00_13PM.png.a297a7a38d8750908a1f71e54c91679f.png

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 11.55.36 AM.png

Ok, you Mic Mode situation seems correct, so you probably don’t need go trashing preferences files (in any case, with the Mic Mode being set to something other than Standard, you would at least get audio input, not no audio input at all).

Just FYI, the Logic preferences file is found under your user’s Library/Preferences folder (that’s what the tilde at the beginning of the path means), and the user Library folder is hidden by default in macOS. You can get to it by going into the Finder’s Go menu while holding down the Option key.

J.

• Solution
3 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

Ok, you Mic Mode situation seems correct, so you probably don’t need go trashing preferences files (in any case, with the Mic Mode being set to something other than Standard, you would at least get audio input, not no audio input at all).

Just FYI, the Logic preferences file is found under your user’s Library/Preferences folder (that’s what the tilde at the beginning of the path means), and the user Library folder is hidden by default in macOS. You can get to it by going into the Finder’s Go menu while holding down the Option key.

J.

Thanks for clarifying the directory path @Jordi Torres, I was looking at the root drive Library directory not from Users. 

I solved my issue:

The gains on my Focusrite had not been turned up high enough for each mike channel. They weren't at zero, but they were low enough the audio signal didn't come through to Logic. 

I'm officially filing this one in my "duh" file. 😥

Thanks to @Jordi Torres, @rAC, and @des99 for helping me trouble-shoot this, I appreciate you guys!

• Like 2