How to unfix midi velocity??

jorobinsonmusic

I’m in the middle of writing a demo with a deadline suddenly all my midi notes in Logic Pro X have decided to fix their velocity. So every note suddenly has the same intensity and it sounds awful. It’s a piano based track so there’s no way it will sound good like this. I’ve checked all settings, opened new projects, old projects, and suddenly EVERYTHING has fixed velocity. My previous midi recording still has its natural velocity but anything recorded now on has the velocity fixed (see screen shot). In the region inspector everything is off/normal (I think) and the dynamics are at 100.

Can anyone help?????

On 12/3/2023 at 8:24 AM, jorobinsonmusic said:

My previous midi recording still has its natural velocity but anything recorded now on has the velocity fixed (see screen shot). In the region inspector everything is off/normal (I think)

You forgot to add your screenshot…but if your notes all have the same color, that would indicate that either they are coming in with a fixed velocity into Logic (from your MIDI controller or pre Sequencer Input object in the MIDI Environment), or you are processing them with the MIDI Transform widow (and that doesn’t happen automatically) 🤔.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
typo
  • Like 1

Ah yes, here is the screenshot - the second midi recording is the new one with fixed velocity.  You're right, recent midi recordings all show up the same colour, meaning that they are probably coming in with fixed velocity from my midi keyboard.  But i've no idea how or why.  Any suggestions on how I can resolve this?  Many thanks.Screenshot2023-12-03at08_21_48.thumb.png.a157a247e0468d51b7b2f29cead22ad7.png

In the LCD display, click the little down arrow on the right and choose Custom. Now where it says "No in", that's a MIDI input monitor display, and you can see the velocities of the notes you're playing. When you play a key soft or hard on your keyboard, do you see different velocities, or always the same velocity? 

• Like 1