Question on Lesson 1 in Logic Pro training book

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

On page 14, under step 9, it says ". . .  In the LCD display at the top, the tempo is set to 118 bpm, the tempo of the loop ." But that didn't happen for me (the LCD display kept the project's 120 bpm).

Also, why do the bar and beat indicators in the LCD keep incrementing (and pie circle next to the 1 Bar drop-down keep moving), even though I clicked the Stop button on the loop? It stopped the sound but not the display. I had to use the Stop button in the transport controls instead.

• Solution
3 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

On page 14, under step 9, it says ". . .  In the LCD display at the top, the tempo is set to 118 bpm, the tempo of the loop ." But that didn't happen for me (the LCD display kept the project's 120 bpm).

I tried the exercise from the beginning again and got the expected result (in Logic Pro 10.8.1), the LCD tempo is set to 118 bpm. 

However there are actions that you may have taken (that are not part of the exercise) that may change that behavior. For example if you dragged a loop before, then chose to undo that and drag it again, the project would no longer automatically adapt to the loop's tempo. 

I recommend you start the exercise again with a fresh new empty project, following the steps one by one precisely, and you should get the described result. 

3 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

Also, why do the bar and beat indicators in the LCD keep incrementing (and pie circle next to the 1 Bar drop-down keep moving), even though I clicked the Stop button on the loop?

That's how the Live Loops grid behaves. When you stop an individual loop from playing, that just stops that individual loop from playing back after one full "Quantize start" cycle - that does not stop the playhead from playing a section of your project, so that Logic keeps everything sync'ed. 

If you have a large screen then you could click the Show/Hide Tracks area button (red arrow in screenshot below) to see both the Live Loops grid and the Tracks area at the same time, which allows you to see exactly how the playhead behaves. 

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 9.50.52 AM.png

I started the exercise again with a fresh new empty project, and you're right, I got the expected results (118 bpm) this time. Thank you David!

Regarding the Live Loops behavior, I see what you mean after opening both the Live Loops and Tracks area at the same time. I just wouldn't have expected this behavior because I only started and stopped the loop itself, not the track nor the project.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sanctuary said:

I just wouldn't have expected this behavior because I only started and stopped the loop itself, not the track nor the project.

In order to be able to synchronize all the loops (including the other loops you may start playing after you've started playing your loop), the transport has to be running. That means that the instant you start a loop, Logic goes in Play mode, and the playhead starts moving.