"Customizing the Drum Kit" with a Producer Kit has changed...

Go to solution Solved by gronk_oregon,

I was trying to do this exercise with the newest version of Logic Pro (10.8.1) using the 2022 book.  Everything sort of falls apart at the bottom of page 109... 

A few things I noted... 

• The library no longer says "Sounds"... it says "Patches".  I'm not sure, but I think the hierarchy in the library may have had some structural changes.  
  • There's no Icon in the library to be able to click a slider... like in the picture in step 6 at the bottom of page 109.  
  • One "nit" I noticed... the pictures at the bottom of 107 show the "Drum Kit" which changes to the slider button when you mouse-over... is now green instead of blue.  

I gather (from another post I saw) that the answer to how to proceed has something to do with opening the track up to its constituent channel strips and dealing with the (green) "drum kit" plug-in in the "overhead mics" channel strip... but that could use some explanation... and if this is the first time someone is going through this... it will confuse people.   Truthfully the Apple documentation wasn't much help here either... at least from what I could find. Am I close? Looks like that section will need some rework for the next edition.  

Just a few things to consider for a next release.  

If you're keeping a list... one other edit nit... the transpose windows don't have "+" when the transpose is positive... so it's not +12 anymore, it's just 12... but if it's negative, it's still -12... not sure why they would've changed that, but it looks like they did.

• Solution
22 hours ago, KentMMcDonald said:

I am having the same trouble finding the Drum Kit Designer for East Bay+, step 6 page 109. I just spent 2 hours trying to find a solution. I am really enjoying the book and I would like to proceed.

I found it... seems to have changed in the latest release of Logic Pro.  I'm a little new at this so I'm not sure I will get all the terms right... but you can see the Drum Kit Designer by going to the tracks area and clicking the ">"next to the yellow icon for "east bay+" , which exposes a lot of "sub tracks?" When you select the first of these, labeled "overheads" it will open up a channel strip with a green "drum kit" plugin... click on that and it will open the drum kit designer.  If you then click on the snare you see more options than before.  

hope this helps.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a Mac Studio, Apple M2 Max, 32 GB, MacOS 14.2.1; Logic Pro 10.8.1.    I  jumped on this thread b/c experiencing similar problem in the same section of the book, but I cant get the East Bay+ picture to show up (as shown on page 111).  I also noticed inconsistencies beginning on pg. 107, Step 1, as I did not see "Drum Kit" in the insert slot.   I saw EQ, so I clicked on that and changed it to "Drum Kit Designer" and proceeded on.  When I hit Step 4, pg. 109, "Producer Kits didn't show up on left-hand column of library, but at the bottom of the right-hand column, so I clicked on it and then chose East Bay+ and proceeded on, and like everyone on the thread said, at Step 6 on pg. 109, I did not see the drum icon they are talking about and couldn't figure it out, so undid everything back to page 105 (Adjusting the Drum Levels Using Smart Controls) and started over.  This time through, I again did not see "Drum Kit" in the insert slot, so I changed to it and continued on, and something quirky happened in that when I got back to Step 4, pg. 109,  "Producer Kits" DID show up on the left hand column, as the picture on pg. 109 shows that it did.   There is another inconsistency - read captions near some of my pictures in the threads that fo

So I'm going to start on page 105, "Adjusting the Drum Levels Using Smart Controls" and take screen shots of what my screen looks like every time.

PICTURES:

1. Drummer after p. 107, Step 5 (Drum Kit is showing in insert slot this time).  Pg. 107, Step 1 says to move your pointer over the middle of that where the sliders are appearing. No sliders appear there, but when you click it, you do arrive at the regular East Bay Kit, as shown on page 108.  I think I'm going to have to post my other pictures as separate posts below this.  

Drummer after p 107, Step 5.jpg

Drummer East Bay kit, pg 107, Step 1.jpg

Edited by flemmings27

I have a Mac Studio, Apple M2 Max, 32 GB, MacOS 14.2.1; Logic Pro 10.8.1.  Continuation of Thread about Chapter 2, Drummer, troubles on pp. 107-

List of Pictures in the Series (we're starting with picture 3 here)

3. Library is Open, pg. 109, Step 3 - Producer Kit showing at bottom of Right-hand column

4. East Bay+ Selected, and EQ Channel is showing in the Left Inspector insert slot, but the EQ plugin IS NOT opened as indicated on pg. 109.  INCONSISTENCY - When I went through these pages initially, the Drum Kit designer was not showing, but the EQ plugin DID open.  I have no idea why it is acting inconsistently.  

Also, at this point, there is NO Drum icon showing at the Top of the Library as indicated on pg. 109, Step 6.   So in order to get to the Drum Kit Designer, I inserted it into the slot where the EQ is showing.  

Picture 5 = shows the Drum Kit Designer in the EQ slot and the Drum Kit Designer Plugin is opened.

Picture 6 = I followed Gronk Oregon's instructions from his Jan. 16 post above, that is, clicked on the right-arrow carat in the Tracks Area, "East Bay+" and it opened a Track Stack showing 16 total tracks, with the Snare Top showing on Track 6, and with the Library opened, I can see the following patches in the library, listed here from top to bottom:  Multi-FX, Multi-Tap Delay, Reverb, Shared Aux, Stereo Delay, Stereo Imaging, Tape Delay. Legacy.  Is that what I'm supposed to see?  In other words, we're not going to get to see the drums as shown at the top of page 111 in the book?  

Drummer after p 107, Step 5.jpg

East Bay+ Selected - EQ Not Showing  pg.108-109 .jpg

East Bay+ Track Stack.jpg

23 minutes ago, flemmings27 said:

Pg. 107, Step 1 says to move your pointer over the middle of that where the sliders are appearing. No sliders appear there

The sliders should appear when you place your mouse in the middle of the "Drum Kit Designer" plug-in: 

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 5.10.24 PM.png

26 minutes ago, flemmings27 said:

When I hit Step 4, pg. 109, "Producer Kits didn't show up on left-hand column of library, but at the bottom of the right-hand column

Yes, that's normal. It's only after you click "Producer Kits", that the name "Producer Kits" moves to the left column to show you the contents of the "Producer Kits" folder in the right column. 

29 minutes ago, flemmings27 said:

like everyone on the thread said, at Step 6 on pg. 109, I did not see the drum icon they are talking about and couldn't figure it out

Ok so unfortunately that's the part where indeed, the description in the book (written for 10.7) no longer works the same in 10.8. Now in 10.8 what you can do to open the Drum Kit Designer plug-in window is open the Smart Controls pane (press B) and then Control + click one of the Smart Control knobs, and choose "Open Plug-in Window". 

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 5.16.44 PM.png

Just now, flemmings27 said:

3. Library is Open, pg. 109, Step 3 - Producer Kit showing at bottom of Right-hand column

Ok that's normal. That's the way it looks before you click it. Basically the Library is showing you a folder/file hierarchy, so when you click a folder, you can see its contents in the right column. If there's a folder (like "Producer Kits") in the right column, and you click it, it jumps to the left column so that you can see its contents in the right column. 

1 minute ago, flemmings27 said:

4. East Bay+ Selected, and EQ Channel is showing in the Left Inspector insert slot, but the EQ plugin IS NOT opened as indicated on pg. 109.  INCONSISTENCY - When I went through these pages initially, the Drum Kit designer was not showing, but the EQ plugin DID open.  I have no idea why it is acting inconsistently.  

The plug-in opening behavior depends on many different steps you may or may not have taken before, so I wouldn't worry about it, just close the EQ if it opens, and open the Drum Kit Designer the way I described earlier. 

3 minutes ago, flemmings27 said:

Also, at this point, there is NO Drum icon showing at the Top of the Library as indicated on pg. 109, Step 6.   So in order to get to the Drum Kit Designer, I inserted it into the slot where the EQ is showing.

I'm not sure what you did here because you cannot insert Drum Kit Designer (an instrument) instead of an EQ (an Audio FX plug-in). In any case what you should be doing is opening Drum Kit Designer the way I described earlier, that's the workaround for step 6 not being valid for Logic Pro 10.8. 

5 minutes ago, flemmings27 said:

In other words, we're not going to get to see the drums as shown at the top of page 111 in the book?  

Try to follow the new instructions I just  and you should be able to move on with the exercise? Let me know. 

• Like 1

DAVID - the steps you recommended below worked thank you!

15 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

The sliders should appear when you place your mouse in the middle of the "Drum Kit Designer" plug-in: 

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 5.10.24 PM.png

Yes, that's normal. It's only after you click "Producer Kits", that the name "Producer Kits" moves to the left column to show you the contents of the "Producer Kits" folder in the right column. 

Ok so unfortunately that's the part where indeed, the description in the book (written for 10.7) no longer works the same in 10.8. Now in 10.8 what you can do to open the Drum Kit Designer plug-in window is open the Smart Controls pane (press B) and then Control + click one of the Smart Control knobs, and choose "Open Plug-in Window". 

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 5.16.44 PM.png

Ok that's normal. That's the way it looks before you click it. Basically the Library is showing you a folder/file hierarchy, so when you click a folder, you can see its contents in the right column. If there's a folder (like "Producer Kits") in the right column, and you click it, it jumps to the left column so that you can see its contents in the right column. 

Try to follow the new instructions I just  and you should be able to move on with the exercise? Let me know.