Logic feedback problem with outboard delay (Roland chorus echo)

izyjohan

Hey! My first post!! But I've been reading here for many years and I've been really thankful for the hours this forum has saved me with problem solving

Anyways.

I have a Roland chorus echo that has a really weird feedback issue. When I'm recording the delay into logic (I've tried both setting up I/O in different ways, and  I've also, like in the clip i'm attaching, just put the output of the main signal to the echo, and the signal back as the input on a different channel) and the problem is:

after about 15 seconds, the original signal plays back one more time, which is not the delay i've chosen lol. Also, the ping is not reacting when I click that in the I/O

I'm also not the most technical, nor best explainer in the world, so hope this make sense.

Anyone with an idea what might cause this?

Video:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5qt4p8pd33kuk1mx8gz67/IMG_8062.MOV?rlkey=j5n2mpear3fd0trbzs5wujsl9&dl=0

Thanks

Need a fair bit more info to begin trying to figure this out.
Logic/MacOS version?
Audio Interface?
How is the Roland unit connected to the audio interface?

The video shows a signal on the bus/output channel, but no indication of what it is (and not audible in the video).
Have you bypassed plugs on this channel strip one-by-one to establish which plug-in(s), if any are causing the "phantom" signal?
Is the destination channel routed to any other channel?

Yes sorry, 

M1 Ultra, Sonoma 14.2, Logic 10.8.1

Interface is two apollo 16x and also an apollo twin mostly used as a controller

The signal on the output channel in the video is just a very very cranked master bus lol, so that's just the audio of the click track

yes its not that. It's also only when I use the chorus echo in just "echo" mode. It doesn't happen when using say the spring verb. but it's not the echo setting I have (which I also get), but there is a duplicate of the clean signal starting again after about 15 seconds, just with a really low volume

My guess is that, given that this is a hardware device with an actual tape loop inside, you're hearing the residual signal that's still on the tape after passing the eraser head when the tape loops around after 15 seconds. In an ideal world it should not be there, but here we are.

Edited by fuzzfilth

10 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

My guess is that, given that this is a hardware device with an actual tape loop inside, you're hearing the residual signal that's still on the tape after passing the eraser head when the tape loops around after 15 seconds. In an ideal world it should not be there, but here we are.

after lending some of your words and googling again I found a thread with a very similar issue,

https://groupdiy.com/threads/re-301-erase-head-issue-solved.47824/page-2

thanks