Floating point

shambles

The app does this to process the data. Some feel that recording and having the app convert to 32-bit float for storage has benefits, others do not. IMO, the converter is only doing 24-bits (max, if even that), and it is a simple matter of whether you want the data to process and take up storage space, or simply let the app do it on demand (as Logic does, along with many others; Sonar and CUbase/Nuendo are a few that has users opting to convert on record). Educated opinion is it makes no sonic difference whatsoever. Since the data is converted form 24-bit (max) no matter what, conversion will happen no matter what.

ok your talking about recording aren't you?

what about mixing?

was advise that mixing in 32/64-bit means effects and summing busses have a lot more space than you will ever need before they clip.

how am i suppose to know what bit am i mixing in?

what about the computer? does it need to support the floating point to?

correct me if im wrong

still trying to understand :roll:

cheers buddy

The processes in an audio DAW app will typically be done at 32-bit floating or 64-bit floating. Logic was 32-bit float, but now it is a slight mystery as to what portions are being done at 64-bit float. Sonar is supposedly 64-bit all the way through. 32-bit float opens a door for error, but only under certain conditions. 64-bit float alleviates this to some extent; in most cases, internal 64-bit float should be more than adequate for any processes being done, with very, very little to no discernible error.

As you sum and then apply algorithms and other processes, the number can get lengthy. 32-bits, floated, can still leave the data open for errors. 64-bit even less..and in most uses by an experienced operator, the chances would be very, very slim.

I would highly, highly, highly suggest reading the book, "Digital Audio Explained..." by Nika Aldrich if you are truly interested in the basics of how digital audio "works." It is done in layman's terms, or as close to it as you can get in this area of explanation at the level required to properly convey the foundation of what allows digital audio to exist as we know it.