Mastering Assistant imperceptible changes in Character settings Logic Pro ipad

Go to solution Solved by oscwilde,

Hi everyone, I’m struggling a little with understanding what to expect when switching between the different character settings in the Mastering Assistant settings in Logic Pro for iPad. ie Clean, Valve, Punch, Transparent.  I have an IPad Pro M1 with the Mastering Assistant set up as per the instruction guide. Changing between the different character settings delivers very subtle changes but nothing dramatic. Selecting between Clean and Punch for example I would expect to hear a significant change in dynamics but apart from some subtle audible EQ changes the output remains much the same. I have none of the manual override options selected and every variable is at default settings prior to using the re-analyze function.  Also puzzling but probably intentional is that whatever character setting is selected there is no visual change to any of the visual representations of settings, ie the EQ graph remains unchanged apart from colour. In contrast, if I switch in Klevgrand ‘Grand Finale’ the dynamics between different settings or styles is significant.  The same goes for the Mastering suite in Cubasis for IPad which also produces significant changes in dynamics when switching different modes. I Would appreciate any feedback on this subject. Thanks, take care.  Trevor

• Solution

How are you monitoring?
If just using the iPad Pro's internal speakers (as good as they are for a tablet), you're not going to hear significant differences.
Thru good cans, it's more pronounced...but you're right that the differences can be subtle between characters/presets.

I actually like this approach because it doesn't overtly screw with your "intent"....and works from an enhancing what's there angle.
i.e. I view it as an "assistant", rather than a "turn it all up to eleven" kind of tool.
I've used it on a few projects as a starting point and manually tweaked/re-analysed, etc. and it worked well. On other projects, it highlighted a couple of issues that led me back to slightly tweaking the arrangement in one case, and changing some automation/mix settings in a couple of others. In several other projects, I didn't use it all as it didn't actually "enhance" the end result...and went with other plugs.
Mastering, from a personal perspective, isn't the point in the process where "radical" changes should be happening....but different folks will have their own views on this.

If you prefer the Klevgrand or Cubasis approach, that's totally fine - as long as it serves the music/helps you reach the end goal you're after.

Logic also offers bus/output/channel-level patches, that insert a chain of FX for different classes (i.e. types) of channel strips....and these can most definitely make significant changes to the audio routed through them.
Perhaps try some of these earlier in the signal path, and then get that subtle "magic sauce" with the MA on the Outs?

Hi, thanks for coming back to me.  I currently use Adam Audio A5X monitors which are really nice which are fed via RME Babyface Pro interface. I also have some good studio quality headphones. I get your point on Mastering Assistant not "overtly screwing with your intent" but in my head the fact that MA is so subtle when compared with other apps like Grand Finale and Cubasis offerings I wrongly assumed MA was not performing correctly. I do like the results I get from MA following the initial analyize process but found myself questioning the minimal difference between each character setting. Thanks for your constructive feedback which has put things into perspective. Take care. Trevor

• Like 2

Hello Everyone,

I could use some guidance understanding the nuances of switching between the various character settings in Logic Pro's Mastering Assistant feature on my iPad Pro M1. Despite following the instruction guide, I'm finding the differences between settings like Clean, Valve, Punch, and Transparent to be rather subtle. For instance, when toggling between Clean and Punch, I expected more pronounced changes in dynamics, but all I notice are minor EQ adjustments with little impact on the overall sound. I haven't enabled any manual override options, and all variables are at their default settings before re-analyzing. Another curious observation is the lack of visual changes in the EQ graph or other settings regardless of the selected character setting, except for a change in color. In contrast, when using plugins like Klevgrand's Grand Finale or the Mastering suite in Cubasis for iPad, I notice significant dynamic shifts between different modes. Any insights or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and take care, Trevor.