Interfaces

cheesymother

I'm deciding on a home studio set up for my G5, and Logic Pro is an option.

I'd like you to reccommend an interface which would suit my needs.

Ultimatley, i'd like the option to be able to record a typical band playing live, and be able to mix each individual drum on a kit seperatley in logic, rather than putting the whole kit through an external desk, converting it to one input on an interface. Obviously if I am going to do this, I need XLR inputs.

Now the thing is, I don't have a kit, and I just wanted to have the option of being able to record a kit like that and have complete control. But it's honestly not important, as i'd be more than contempt with UltraBeat alone. So in this scenario, when really all I need to be able to do is record one insturment at a time (in mono and stereo, with both XLR and jack capabilities) - just one mic or guitar at a time, mono or stereo. I know some interfaces don't allow monitoring at high recording quality. I need an interface which can record at a standard high quality (I don't know what the exact figure is, but I want it to be the standard high quality for recordings, no less, and I defintley do not need to go over - is it 96kHz ??) and can be monitored at this quality, and also heard through 2 independent headphones. I'm not sure if firewire or usb makes a difference, I just always thought firewire was more mac compatible.

Now, the final solution will most probably be the latter, withotu the need for the complicated drum micing capabilities. So if you can, please suggest some audio interfaces which fit my description.

p.s. I'd also like the option of connecting a midi controller

thanks

Christ, you don't ask much do you, Cheesymother ? :D

(And, is that dear Richard I see on your avatar ? Shame on you ...... )

(Unless you really are Richard Whitley, of course, in which case sincere apologies, grovel, bark, doffs cap in respect ..........)

You could do worse than the MOTU 896. I use one in the studio here and I've never found it wanting. If we do *lots* of live tracks (rarely), I double it up with a MOTU 828 that's been around for ages, but the 896 on its own makes a fine all round audio interface and is well capable of expansion later because it has ADAT optical and AES/EBU digital stereo there just waiting.

Monitoring and foldback for musicians is always a pain and with the 896 you don't get anything for free, sadly. It has a phones out socket, which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in a *real* studio situation.

I recommend a Q-Mix 6 by Oz Audio for your headphones management. They're terrific, flexible and hassle-free.

http://www.motu.com

You can ring Oz Audio (stateside) on (360) 568-3636

Hope this helps.

8)

thanks, I've come to my senses and realized it will be the 2 ins setup, considering something like the motu will set me back around £700.

I was researching this more, and found the m-audio firewire - at 24 bit capability - would you reccomend that for my not-so-pro set up?

And no, i'm not the great man you see in my avatar, just a worshipper.

And no, i'm not the great man you see in my avatar, just a worshipper.

............ another consonant please, Carol .............

(Now, if you'd stuffed a picture of *her* up there, I might be waking up a little)

The M-Audio 410 is an excellent beast. My daughter uses one in her songwriting/demo setup and it's solid. Mics/guitars - no problem.

It's about €200 which is around 220 of your Earth dollars.

8)

I'd go with any of the Apogee units. I have the 16Xseries and they are the balls.

My 192 is strictly a digital fx return.

I also use 2 AD8000se's but it's getting a bit out of control.

You would do fine with a mini me and it's DA counterpart.

cheers,

chap

ps- howdy pants

all about the fire face. virually zero latency, 192khz + dedicated instrument 1/4 inch, spec goes on for evr.. now they sorted out the installer problems if you got the notes, definately the one to have

It works GREAT with Logic. All those interfaces I suggest work great with Logic. I own a Metric Halo ULN2 myself and couldn't be happier. The drivers are the best, they are extremly stable. The day Apple released Tiger, Metric Halo released updated drivers compatible with Tiger!

The Fireface is an extremly high quality interface which works great with Logic, excellent drivers, excellent converters.... the only critic I have is that it does not have a monitor level control. Depending on your studio, that could be a problem or not. In my studio, where my active monitors (Genelec) are plugged directly into the Audio Interface, that is inconceivable. I can't reach for the software everytime I want to adjust the volume.

Other than that, RME, Metric Halo are the two best companies for audio interfaces with Logic. Next are Presonus and MOTU (MOTU offers bang for the buck with excellent drivers but lesser quality converters and mic preamps. Presonus' mic pres and converters quality are surprising for the price).

I'm using Logic in 3 ways. I have a laptop/MBox for travel, an 002 for my porch

(I do radio interviews by phone) and with Pro Tools HD3 Accel in my studio.

In the studio, it's Apogee AD/DA 16X converters which I was lucky enough to beta test. They easily sound as good or better than my Troisi's and the TC6000.

They have relegated the Digi 192 to an fx return. I have yet to hear anything better

(including Lavry and Prism).

I was impressed by the metric halo interface and it seemed ideal for live recording.

best,

chap

Thanks everyone for the help and replies.

I can't afford products in the higher leagues such as the fireface, so i'll be settling on something like this http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90601/wo/U83cBYoTSoUz22LySBD2eoOvX6d/1.0.11.1.0.6.12 right now. Forgive me for not knowing but is 96kHz good/bad/standard when considering your typical CD in the shops recording?

Any other interfaces like this m-audio which would be better?

Archived