Trimming the fat??

AC55

First, do a search for the freeware program called "WhatSize". It will allow you to easily see what's where, so you can get rid of things you don't want easily.

As for what to get rid of:

1) Printer drivers. There are huge piles of drivers just sitting there waiting to never be used. Keep the ones you need for the printers you use, and trash the rest. You can always get specific ones back at some point. This is an easy removal: Library/Printers

Other suggestions, people?

there's also a lot of extra localisation files for each app. These are the files that OS X uses so that it can present the app in any language. Unless you run OS X in multiple languages, you wouldn't need all those extra files. You could check out Delocalizer. I can't vouch for how good it is (or whether there's any drawbacks) as I've never used it. I've always just manually deleted the extra localisation files. It might be worth checking into; all those localisations can really add up.

I'd leave the fonts alone and look for other things to remove.

Agreed. Just to clarify, the localisation files are not the same as fonts. Inside each app directory are extra language folders (for example; German.lproj, Japanese.lproj, French.lproj) that if you didn't need those languages, you could get rid of those folders. They contain stuff in the corresponding language like help files, pdfs, text for the app to display etc. But unless you're really desperate for disk space I wouldn't bother. That being said, I've done this on my old iBook that only had a 30G drive, so every bit counted. I haven't bothered with my current machine.

I'd leave the fonts alone and look for other things to remove.

Agreed. Just to clarify, the localisation files are not the same as fonts. Inside each app directory are extra language folders (for example; German.lproj, Japanese.lproj, French.lproj) that if you didn't need those languages, you could get rid of those folders. They contain stuff in the corresponding language like help files, pdfs, text for the app to display etc. But unless you're really desperate for disk space I wouldn't bother. That being said, I've done this on my old iBook that only had a 30G drive, so every bit counted. I haven't bothered with my current machine.

Yes, I did something to remove all of that at some point a while ago, and my system runs as smoothly as can be (knock on wood...).

I wish I could remember what I did -- it was something I saw in iCreate or one of those Mac mags at Chez Bordres. :?