Slow Loading EXS Samples

jeffc

I'm having a problem of EXS samples taking an extremely long time to load with a song. Like the Logic 8 Irish Bouzouki for example, will hang for 2 minutes if it's in a cue to load. It wasn't like this before Logic 8 was installed. My setup: Dual G5, Tiger latest, 4GB, Logic 7 and Logic 8, HD2 rig running DTDM. Takes long if I open in either. I've got the Logic factory samples in the standard place and my EXS samples on another drive. It worked fine for years until recently. I've got EXS manager as well but it's not helping. I run it twice on both my samples and the factory but it's still taking forever. It's been a major problem recording live musician's when I've got to open 20 cues in a session. I've tried all the usual stuff (short of throwing my machine out the window and buying a 8-core), but any ideas would be appreciated.

Best -

Jeff

I'm having a problem of EXS samples taking an extremely long time to load with a song. Like the Logic 8 Irish Bouzouki for example, will hang for 2 minutes if it's in a cue to load. It wasn't like this before Logic 8 was installed. My setup: Dual G5, Tiger latest, 4GB, Logic 7 and Logic 8, HD2 rig running DTDM. Takes long if I open in either. I've got the Logic factory samples in the standard place and my EXS samples on another drive. It worked fine for years until recently. I've got EXS manager as well but it's not helping. I run it twice on both my samples and the factory but it's still taking forever. It's been a major problem recording live musician's when I've got to open 20 cues in a session. I've tried all the usual stuff (short of throwing my machine out the window and buying a 8-core), but any ideas would be appreciated.

Best -

Jeff

Jeff, if you have trashed prefs, repaired permissions, and linked with EXSManager then it sounds to me like the drive that has the EXS samples is having issues.

Do you have another drive you can copy them to to test?

Best -

Jeff

BTW, I don't recommend throwing the machine out the window. That almost never helps.

Thanks Jay. That was my initial thought, although it's wierd because it's sometimes slow on my EXS samples (on a 2nd internal drive) and sometimes on the Logic Factory samples - which are on the system drive. I doubt I have (2) bad drives - although with my luck I wouldn't doubt it. As far as trashing preferences, are the L7 and L8 preferences different? I'm just wondering if it's having 7 and 8 on the same machine that somehow made things get messed up.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Thanks Jay. That was my initial thought, although it's wierd because it's sometimes slow on my EXS samples (on a 2nd internal drive) and sometimes on the Logic Factory samples - which are on the system drive. I doubt I have (2) bad drives - although with my luck I wouldn't doubt it. As far as trashing preferences, are the L7 and L8 preferences different? I'm just wondering if it's having 7 and 8 on the same machine that somehow made things get messed up.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

No and the two should co-exist just fine as they do here.

You did repair permission, correct?