Let's talk about Studio Etiquette/2nd engineers...

dkgross

ROFL!

And looking at this thread, I just realized something... Orsanct, I miss ya!!!

Aw, shucks. [stares at shoes]

I'm not gone — I'm just mono-taskin'! Got a Stockhausen concert coming up in late April and it's kickin' my butt. Trying to learn the keyboard part to "Zungenspitzentanz"; adapting "Solo" so it can be done in Kyma (rather than the original analog tapehead/feedback system); and redoing my piece for trumpet and electronics, "Postmark Sirius: In Memoriam Karlheinz Stockhausen." A few days later, we're resurrecting "In C" which will include some action for MainStage & Ableton Live.

Gotta keep my nose to the digital grindstone!

Love, Your Buddy,

Orsanct

GREAT to hear from you!!

BTW, before I forget, Stockhausen's son frequents the Apple/Logic board under the name Sampleconstruct.

Would love to hear your piece for trumpet/electronics one of these days. Glad to hear you're so busy. Please, DO stop by more often... when ya can...

Yer Pal,

Ski

• 1 year later...

Yeah, that's a pretty good list. Doesn't go quite far enough IMO, but the "be wallpaper" is key. But this one I don't quite understand:

"Plan your breaks when you are doing the least amount of work. In most cases that will be when someone is recording. Always check with the engineer before taking a break."

Plan breaks while someone's recording? That's the best time to be in the studio, to see how the engineer, producer, and artist all interact. And during recording is the most critical time to be around to assist in fixing problems if they arise, i.e., help to swap out a bad mic cable, run to the mic locker to get a replacement cuz the one being used sounds like it has a blown capsule, find more patchbay cords because one of them is intermittent, etc. I'd advise them to change this to, "Anticipate that your consumption of fluids and/or gastronomical non-delights is such that when the artist is in the studio and recording that you can remain in the control room without having to excuse yourself."

good point...However..I have been involved in sessions where the 'artist' doesn't want anyone other than the engineer in the other room. I always told them I'd be right outside the door and mere moments away.

Plan your breaks when everyone ELSE is taking theirs, not while someone's working, recording, setting up, etc..

Speaking of leaving during a recording, the studio I studied in had almost like a common entry that, while not too loud, was DEFINITELY loud enough to be picked up by mics facing that way.

I've actually heard the words "You open that door, and I will cut you."

"...6 Super Tactics from Superfoot’s Eclectic Approach to Street Fighting

by Russell Gray

It was just another ordinary night in a smoke-filled Chicago nightclub. People were laughing, drinking and dancing. But the fun ended abruptly when a knife-wielding customer who was too stupid to have a good time approached the table of John Belushi. Bill “Superfoot” Wallace, the bodyguard of the late actor/comedian, sprang into action and positioned his body between the aggressor and Belushi’s group.

As Wallace maneuvered to launch a rib-cracking side kick into the chest of the whacked-out weirdo, the antagonist said, “I’m going to cut you!”

Wallace reconsidered his tactical response and opted for one of his favorites: He pierced his opponent with a menacing stare and calmly stated, “You may cut me, but you will never live to see me bleed.”

That was all the aggressor needed to hear. He backed off, and the situation was defused."

“You may cut me, but you will never live to see me bleed.”

A CLASSIC response, and I'm hearing it with a Ricardo Montalban accent... I may have to use this next time someone says they're gonna cut me! :D

I prefer to give my assistants the Owners Manual to an old Roland S-770 Sampler to test their reading skills.

:)

:lol: Well, I'm just a bit NORTH of you, Mr. Gross, but what a difference a country's border can make. You see, up here in Canada we are a bit more "soft" and compassionate on our minions.

We only force them to read through the s-330 manuals. (those that actually can memorize the GUIDE BOOK get a 20% reduction in flogging strokes :D ).

http://nowallsmusic.com/logic-help/2010/s-330-manuals.jpg

(great thread, btw!)

HAHAHAH....sweeeeeeeet :)

I love VI Tutorial Videos ..sure wish we had THEM back in the day. Being as I only have ONE hardware synth these days (Yamaha Motif Rack), I've certianyl gotten lazy in the 'manual reading' department.

of course..there's all the PDFs of the Waves PlugIn's to keep be busy..At least there not in Roland-ese.

• 6 months later...
I'm only guessing that it's because OTR Studios aim for acoustic, true to form recordings.

Maybe that means you can have a wizz, when the jazz piano player is playing his 20 minute solo.

Actually, that is correct. :)

We try to avoid getting the sound of the actual 'wizz' on the recording, although, there are times when it is unavoidable. With our high resolution recording techniques, the results are quite stunning.

Thank you for mentioning our studio.

2" analog kicks ass, by the way.

bye all!

cookie, the owner, otrstudios.com

our intern program is open for submissions if you can handle it.

Welcome to the forum, Cookie! It'd be a blast to be an intern for you! Feel free to go thru this thread from the beginning. I'm betting you could add quite a few gems to the list!

Oh, yes, quite a few....

I'll have Mike, one of our interns who graduated up, read through as well.

If you'd like a laugh, here's our intern note we have everyone read before coming to the program.

http://otrstudios.com/interns

We intentionally try to scare people away, although, it's 100% true.

Of course, there's always intern hazing, which is fun.

And no one can call themselves an engineer unless they've had at least one fire in the control room.

We've had interns from Austria, Greece, Japan, China, Philippines and France. Good times.

Back soon,

Cookie

• 7 months later...