Space Designer losing touch with Apple Impulse Response files

UK_Andrew
Go to solution Solved by UK_Andrew,

On my Logic DAW, many Apple Impulse Response [.SDIR] files invoked by Space Designer have recently become unresponsive.

When the problem occurs, an SD Setting (.pst) with its various various envelopes is recalled in full, but the .SDIR file integral to it is not invoked, so no reverb is produced. When it happens, the SD interface looks like this (with a 0.000s time span for the reverb):

ScreenShot2024-04-02at22_10_43.thumb.png.9882a414857e685cfc888c0ea7d99edf.png

Note also that the instance of SD shown is on a stereo aux bus (there's no "mono bus" rendering the stereo plug-in incompatible).

This phenomenon is occurring across multiple projects, apparently involving the same particular .SDIR files. All the SD Settings and IRs concerned have been in consistent use for several years, under the same hardware/sofware regime. No OS or major app updates have been performed for several years.

Further info and diagnostic efforts:

I only have Apple IRs, supplied with various iterations of Logic, starting with 9.0. They all appear to be .SDIR files.

All the IRs are in the correct place (a symlinked location on external HD). In any case, the IRs that work and the ones that don't are often next to each other in the same folders (so, not a file-path or drive permissions issue?).

Any IR file present on the HD can be detected from SD via the "Load IR" drop-down. With a new instance of SD some of the problematic IRs seem sometimes to be loaded. But once the project is saved, closed and reopened, they are always missing again.

I have tried opening various .SDIR files with IR Utility. A large proportion them do not open, yielding a "The file format is nor supported" warning.

The .SDIR files that IR Utility cannot open are also the ones that consistently refuse to "stick" in the SD interface.

I have experimented with clones of the same IR files held on a backup HD (cloned at an unknown point in the past). I've done this with another install of Logic 10.3 on a PowerBook, under OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra). The same problematic IRs behave in the same way (So not a system/OS issue?).

The .SDIR files I've tested do have common origins in the same instances of Logic, but they've all worked perfectly well in the past. It's especially weird that only some of them have recently stopped working. The project files in which the SD issues are occurring probably do originate in the same two or three Logic templates.

I run multiple sound projects in rotation under Logic, often for years. Typically they will entail a minimum of five to ten instances of SD. Many of the projects are complex, with 80-90 channels/busses: a nightmare to rebuild if the problem is project file corruption.

Given my working pattern, the nature of this SD/IR issue (some instances working, others not) is really problematic. I need to try and cure it.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your response, des99.

Actually, I already tried attaching selected .SDIRs to my post, and discovered something: some of those that don't work refuse to be attached! I'm currently trying to work out why, in my clumsy way. When I drag the non-working and non-attachable .SDIRs into a text utility they seemingly contain no code, whereas the working .SDIRs contain reassuring amounts of gobbledegook... suggesting the working and non-working files might, at very least, be different from each other. Perhaps the busted ones don't contain any data... but I've no idea how or when that could have happened. Many of the working and non-working .SDIRs all have creation dates of 11 April 2012, but I have no doubt they've been copied back and forth across various HDs many times.

I am wondering if I have earlier copies of the many problematic .SDIRs anywhere... or can find them online anywhere, to do some comparisons.

BTW: when I removed all my .SDIRs earlier today and re-downloaded all available from Apple, many of those used in my project settings were missing from the download. So not much help.

Yes, I'm still on 10.3... until I can afford a new Mac, etc,  and a month of reconnecting everything!

7 minutes ago, UK_Andrew said:

Actually, I already tried attaching selected .SDIRs to my post, and discovered something: some of those that don't work refuse to be attached!

You won't be able to attach them directly, you'll need to compress them into zip files first.

7 minutes ago, UK_Andrew said:

When I drag the non-working and non-attachable .SDIRs into a text utility they seemingly contain no code, whereas the working .SDIRs contain reassuring amounts of gobbledegook... suggesting the working and non-working files might, at very least, be different from each other.

This is what I'm trying to determine - whether the files are valid, or whether the files are corrupted (which it certainly *looks* likely, from the evidence you've presented so far).

8 minutes ago, UK_Andrew said:

I have no doubt they've been copied back and forth across various HDs many times.

It's possible they went onto a corrupt drive, or non-supported filesystem, or over a corrupted transfer link - it's difficult to diagnose that, all we can really do is check the files, and replace them if they are indeed corrupt.

9 minutes ago, UK_Andrew said:

I am wondering if I have earlier copies of the many problematic .SDIRs anywhere... or can find them online anywhere, to do some comparisons.

If they are factory data, they should be re-installable to known good versions, and your projects will then load as expected, without having to reconnect anything...

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your attention to my issue. I agee completely with your thinking.

I'm currently digging back into an 2008 MacBookPro HD with an OS 10.6.8 partition, preserved in case I ever needed to reopen any old Logic 9.x projects. It looks as if that's where I first installed from CD the .SDIRs that formed the basis of some long-used SD settings... in fact, there's a whole trove of legacy .SDIRs.

Just double-clicking a few of the main suspects and, amazingly, they do seem viable: they open in IR Utility! A bit more work, now, to to find out if they will work under Logic 10.3. I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

• Solution

I SOLVED this issue by finding earlier versions of the .SDIR files that I'd been using for years in Space Designer (since Logic 9.x, Mac OS 10.6.8). Once I replaced my much copied .SDIR files with those earlier ones, Space Designer opened all my custom reverb settings as before. Wow and wow. Patting myself on the back for keeping my 2008 MacBookPro in good order.

Obviously, my .SDIR files had become corrupted somehow, possibly when I had to replace a sound projects HD after it developed some bad blocks. It seemed as if I'd rescued all the data, but perhaps the .SDIR files had taken a hit at deeper level, invisible to me with my limited computer knowledge.

Sometimes just sitting down to describe an issue clearly enough top put on the forum helps a lot; and in this case the response of des99 reinforced my thinking in the right direction...

"Jolly glad"

• Like 3

Apologies to purists: I got a few earlier Logic version numbers wrong in this thread, but it's not material to the issue covered. Obv, I should've read my own carefully crafted poster footnote... erm... more carefully...