48 kHz Sample Rate cause a slight misalignment (vs 44.1 kHz)?

globet

• globet changed the title to MIDI Sample Rate?
  • David Nahmani changed the title to 48 kHz Sample Rate cause a slight misalignment (vs 44.1 kHz)?

First off, apologies for opening a thread without being more clear and providing screenshot or video regarding the issue. The interest happened when using a third party plugin called MIDI Freeze which lets you select those Sample Rate when recording.

Here is a screenshot of the different Sample Rate outputs when used on the same 3 MIDI notes (Track Big Dipper) with an arpeggiator (simple 16th note pattern) loaded on to it.

Screenshot2024-04-18at1_26_30AM.thumb.png.03dd1c1e835ceab2a9affc08cac2749e.png

Strange - does it even make sense there should be a sample rate selection, the program is working with MIDI & timing data, not audio... (!)

Edit: Ok, it does say (can't copy/paste from AppStore, grr...) "Select Project Sample Rate to match the current project setting", for some reason.

In any case, whatever the sample rate you are working at in your project, that's the option you should choose in that plugin, presumably for some timing reasons or something.

If the timing is out at a particular sample rate, maybe contact the developer and give them a bug report...

4 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Is there any advantage to this over the Record MIDI to Track Here function that's built-in to Logic?

Only advantage I can think of or what I use it for is you don’t have to play it in real time. 

8 hours ago, des99 said:

In any case, whatever the sample rate you are working at in your project,

Any way to check the sample rate of the project? So in the dark not even knowing what sample rate I’m working at.

15 minutes ago, globet said:

Any way to check the sample rate of the project?

Look at the Transport bar. It should be visible there...but if not, customize it to always display Sample rate. You can also check this in the Project Settings.

16 minutes ago, globet said:

you don’t have to play it in real time

Fair enough...and pretty cool.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, globet said:

Industry standard is 44.1 kHz and 24bit?

No, the industry standard is 48 kHz.

A sampling frequency of 48 kHz is recommended for the origination, processing and interchange of audio programs employing pulse-code modulation (Source: https://www.aes.org/standards/comments/drafts/aes5-r-cfc-180904.pdf)

44.1 kHz was the old sampling rate used for Compact Discs. 

9 minutes ago, globet said:

Why even have  96 176.4 192 kHz?

Many commercial studios record, process and edit at 48 kHz then mix in analog on large SSL consoles, recording the analog output of the SSL as a 96 kHz file delivered to the mastering engineer. 

A few rare producers choose to record, process and edit at 96 kHz.

Anything above 96 kHz is offered only as a selling point for marketing purpose for the DAW manufacturers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

No, the industry standard is 48 kHz.

A sampling frequency of 48 kHz is recommended for the origination, processing and interchange of audio programs employing pulse-code modulation (Source: https://www.aes.org/standards/comments/drafts/aes5-r-cfc-180904.pdf)

44.1 kHz was the old sampling rate used for Compact Discs. 

Many commercial studios record, process and edit at 48 kHz then mix in analog on large SSL consoles, recording the analog output of the SSL as a 96 kHz file delivered to the mastering engineer. 

A few rare producers choose to record, process and edit at 96 kHz.

Anything above 96 kHz is offered only as a selling point for marketing purpose for the DAW manufacturers. 

my project is currently in 44.1 should I change the project to 48 and bounce in 48? 

54 minutes ago, globet said:

my project is currently in 44.1 should I change the project to 48 and bounce in 48? 

If you've already recorded audio files in your project then I would complete the project in 44.1 kHz and from now on start your new projects in 48 kHz. Note that the difference between the two is quite subtle. 

• Like 1