well i made the switch

geeball

finally had enough bullshit from apple support and went to pro tools .all i can say is creativity ,,,,,man pt is a good app ...for audio logic is not even close the editing that i am doing in pt arrange widow would take me quite some time to do in different editors in logic ,,,,,not trying to start no s#!+ here ,,,just very happy with pt7,4

you know dude.. i feel you man. logic 8 just isnt cutttin it. our studio spent 10k on G5's to have logic 8 get released and run like crap. what kind of system you running on pt? HD1 or what? lookin to hear your results, we need to switch if we are quick to get this film done.
When I read posts like this I always have to ask, what exactly are you doing to the app that it can't keep up? Maybe you're expecting too much from it?

I came from Nuendo to Logic and I'll tell you, the price of Nuendo, it should be able to handle anything. So far, Logic is much better.

Don't have any experience with Pro Tools. But I heard its midi capabilities were s#!+, so I didn't bother.

man...this is tired

if you got´s to go ....go....

i have gone from the 4 track,to 16 track, atari cubase to pc logic, to pc cubase....to pc protools le, to here with a mac and logic studio....

i successfully, though not professionally, managed to make music on each system...and each change so far has been a change for the better......

i understand if you use this professionally and that time is money and your audio editing chops have to be that refined. it is a sad sign of the times that recording these days is more to do with how efficiently an engineer can edit a composite take than an artist being able to record a good take

but as i said make your choice and get on with it....

every post like this opens the floodgates for all the moaners....it´s just boring

from what i can see, there are loads of satisfied people here, most of whom will try to help solve any queries and offer workflow advice...if you don´t whinge about it....

if you´ve worked through this advice and it still isn´t working for you, then you should definately change

and for what it´s worth...my time with pt was my most UN-creative time musically....audio editing didn´t matter...i played till it was right...just didn´t get along with the software and found the bundled plugs very underwhelming..this may have changed.......the other thing was that the official pt forum was ´hands-down´the most depressing reading...you think logic users are unlucky?????...again, this may have changed

fare thee well

fare thee well

and heres to the music

thats why i put in there not trying to start no s#!+ .assholes like ....rob glow bye ..come on grow up ..you act like i am leaving your football team logic is just not cutting it for me anymore ...to me if you check all my prior post ...apple just does not seem to care about its users ..i am going to give protools a try for now ....i just got the digi003 rack factory for now to see how it goes....anyone using this interface with logic 8?..i still will go to logic for some stuff ..but it will no longer be my main daw ....any input of logic 8 running on digi 003 rack would be appreciated.lets keep this sociable no fighting bullshit .....thanks

But how can we possibly remain civil when it is so apparent that the evil spirits of delusion and rebellion have consumed your vulnerable soul. Once you have fraternized with Satan and his hungry minions, the Holy Lord of all Logic users and Pygmies in New Guinea convicts our hearts that we should cast thy happy ass out like demon possessed hogs over a cliff.

im using logic like a professional uses his equipment.. at the fastest possible speed he can that produces the best results. period.

PERIOD.

my loop/library/POS menu crashes or freezes my sessions with fewer than 5 audio tracks and a video playing simultaneously.

it sucks.

so yes... im pissed. im royally pissed. i spent 15k at my studio on apple s#!+ to score and edit a film and the SOFTWARE CANNOT KEEP UP ON MY SYSTEM.

all i needed was an update for 7 to add the frame rate of 23.976

you know... the one all those stupid HD kids are using?

i cannot score a film in LOGIC 7, and logic 8 runs too slow to get the job done.

sorry im not writing pop songs guys.

i thought this was a professional application for professionals.

im pissed i paid 1k for logic 7, $500 for 8, 2500 for my G5 to NOT HAVE A PIECE OF SOFTWARE THAT WORKS!

p.s. duran duran is neither duran, nor duran.

talk amongst yourselves.

phew! the thing is.. we are still trying to figure this out with apple.. so dont go calling me some idiot complaining.. im looking for solutions while everyone seems to be scratching their heads.

dont believe me?

search the forums with my username.

the search menu is my best friend.

but there still isnt an answer to be found.

needless to say, logic 8 is not a competative DAW for post production... unless i throw down another 8k on a new F**ing mac pro 8 core.

sooo tired of this game.

This is showing the many proffesionals who have had it with logic's endless and worthless updates,

they did they same when they sold their software plugins for hundreds of dollars then gave them out for free in the next update.

logic 8 is the death of logic as a pro application. many pros have been leaving logic, fed up with all the BS from apple.

some people make people who are leaving logic as "god riddence" but the fact of the matter is, if you see most long time users leaving logic, and more first time users coming to logic, then the apple plan has worked, as they have dumped their pro base in favor of a new user market. also, when people post saying they are leaving, and you see more of these posts on other forums, then it just proves the point that pros are leaving logic

Strange. I never saw many pros here at all. Before or after LP8. :shock:

There seems to be a lot people who don't like Logic constantly venting over & over again and never going away. What's that all about?

The self appointed Software Police I suppose. :lol: Making it safe for others... Awww. Thanks Humberto you are so generous with your time.

Pros are too busy with the job of making music to worry about a single app or plugin. Life's too short.

I think that it is simply naive and ridiculous to expect the contents of one box to be your Abbey Road or Electric Ladyland studio.

Recording music has always been a craft that wrestles with it's machines. ALWAYS. Experience teaches you this. Don't dismiss your experience as some kind of isolated incident to do with Logic or any other part of your gear. s#!+ happens... a lot in studios, full of professionals, full of expensive high end gear. The difference is the professionals are working to a deadline and don't have time to sit around whining on the internet. They simply work around the problem and FINISH MAKING THE MUSIC.

In the end, it's the quality of the music that is paramount. Not software analysis.

Most people moaning about software couldn't rub two ones and a zeroes together to save their own ass. But they really seem to like telling software engineers how simple it would be to make their app perfect.

The Beatles, Led Zep, Hendrix etc all recorded their greatest early works on 4 & 8 track machines. No one then or now only uses what is in the room at the time to make records etc. Studios were always acquiring/needing new toys or tools and battling crippling breakdowns during production. A sad fact.

Logic Pro and apps like it are simply tools. With most tools you can achieve a certain amount of progress before it becomes redundant for that particular job. At that point other tools will service you better for what it is that you are doing and/or the way that you want to do it.

Stop blaming the tools for your stunted workflow. Professionals don't always get professional behavior from their gear. They use whatever can get them through the session. Anything. And usually without skipping a beat on the outside!

It seems simple though. Spend lots more money buying lots more very expensive high end gear. Plug it all in. Try to use it...

There you go! So much more stuff to complain about now. You won't be able to sleep with all THAT posting.

Weeeeee! :mrgreen:

this was the point that i tried to make

you are obviously unhappy

we HAVE read all of your previous posts, telling us so...and yet another chance has come to moan and here you are.... shouldn´t you be on your new daw´s forum by now

don´t get me wrong....i feel for you, blowing money on this update and having problems and i understand if you aren´t able to wait to see if the .1 update fixes any of these issues for you.......but if you were happy until now, then just go back to pro 7....if in the future you hear that your problem has been fixed with an update then you are good to go

"needless to say, logic 8 is not a competitive DAW for post production... unless i throw down another 8k on a new F**ing mac pro 8 core"

sorry, i´m confused...i thought it was the software and not the power of your computer you were complaining about....come on now...if you´re trying to run logic on your apple IIe you may run into problems

and bfrederiick...you seem to insinuate that the fact that you are scoring for a film makes you this big PROFESSIONAL....

"sorry im not writing pop songs guys"......my humblest apologies sir if you feel i am speaking out of line, but PROFESSIONALS write pop songs too

and ...

"you know...the one all those stupid HD kids are using"

you really don´t have an attitude problem, do you?

a word of advice.......don´t spend 15k on a system until you know that it will do what you want

and one more thing....some PRO´s on this board, do score with logic....they then mix in protools...and if you are so pro and so pissed off with software not being good enough..

a) write your own software

b) score your film sitting at a piano (upgrade to the latest firmware, of course) then give it to an orchestra to play

and humberto....well...

another one who is so hung up on his PRO status

i also paid a lot of money for logic 7....i didn´t pay for all of the instruments, but it´s the same thing.....am i pissed that everyone else can buy in for half the price....not one bit.....guess we´re just different that way...this is the nature of things....they change....constantly

i do get the feeling that the PROs are unhappy because the playing field has been levelled....all this training and experience and i´m using the same software as the kid next door...no special toys for the special pros

to me, the more people (new and old that are using the software , the more important it will become in apples portfolio.....they are a buisiness remember...they exist to make money , and not just to keep your pro ass happy.....anyway this increased user base to me would suggest more resources devoted in the future to the daw

as others on this board have suggested....apple have redesigned the inteface from the ground up, and this should make it easier to implement bug fixes and updates...

"this is showing the many professionals who have had it with logic´s endless and worthless updates"

is this really showing me many unhappy professionals....doesn´t seem like too many....in this post anyway, it seems quite balanced between unhappy pros and happy guys

"but the fact of the matter is, if you see most long time users leaving logic, and more first time users coming to logic, then the apple plan has worked"

wtf???

again...MOST long time users????

and the best of all..."then the apple plan has worked"...

i´m no buisinessman, but i thought apples plan would be more about securing a new market WITHOUT losing the old....guess i must have got it wrong because as you say....

" and you see more of these posts on other forums, then it just proves the point that pros are leaving logic" :lol: :lol: :lol: ....

that´s it.....counter-rant over

and as i said in the original...fare thee well....this is no fighting bullshit and i am being sociable...i hope the grass is greener for ya

later

this was the point that i tried to make

you are obviously unhappy

we HAVE read all of your previous posts, telling us so...and yet another chance has come to moan and here you are.... shouldn´t you be on your new daw´s forum by now

don´t get me wrong....i feel for you, blowing money on this update and having problems and i understand if you aren´t able to wait to see if the .1 update fixes any of these issues for you.......but if you were happy until now, then just go back to pro 7....if in the future you hear that your problem has been fixed with an update then you are good to go

"needless to say, logic 8 is not a competitive DAW for post production... unless i throw down another 8k on a new F**ing mac pro 8 core"

sorry, i´m confused...i thought it was the software and not the power of your computer you were complaining about....come on now...if you´re trying to run logic on your apple IIe you may run into problems

and bfrederiick...you seem to insinuate that the fact that you are scoring for a film makes you this big PROFESSIONAL....

"sorry im not writing pop songs guys"......my humblest apologies sir if you feel i am speaking out of line, but PROFESSIONALS write pop songs too

and ...

"you know...the one all those stupid HD kids are using"

you really don´t have an attitude problem, do you?

a word of advice.......don´t spend 15k on a system until you know that it will do what you want

and one more thing....some PRO´s on this board, do score with logic....they then mix in protools...and if you are so pro and so pissed off with software not being good enough..

a) write your own software

b) score your film sitting at a piano (upgrade to the latest firmware, of course) then give it to an orchestra to play

and humberto....well...

i also paid a lot of money for logic 7....i didn´t pay for all of the instruments, but it´s the same thing.....am i pissed that everyone else can buy in for half the price....not one bit.....guess we´re just different that way...this is the nature of things....they change....constantly

i do get the feeling that the PROs are unhappy because the playing field has been levelled....all this training and experience and i´m using the same software as the kid next door...no special toys for the special pros

to me, the more people (new and old that are using the software , the more important it will become in apples portfolio.....they are a buisiness remember...they exist to make money , and not just to keep your pro ass happy.....anyway this increased user base to me would suggest more resources devoted in the future to the daw

as others on this board have suggested....apple have redesigned the inteface from the ground up, and this should make it easier to implement bug fixes and updates...

"this is showing the many professionals who have had it with logic´s endless and worthless updates"

is this really showing me many unhappy professionals....doesn´t seem like too many....in this post anyway, it seems quite balanced between unhappy pros and happy guys

"but the fact of the matter is, if you see most long time users leaving logic, and more first time users coming to logic, then the apple plan has worked"

wtf???

again...MOST long time users????

and the best of all..."then the apple plan has worked"...

i´m no buisinessman, but i thought apples plan would be more about securing a new market WITHOUT losing the old....guess i must have got it wrong because as you say....

" and you see more of these posts on other forums, then it just proves the point that pros are leaving logic" :lol: :lol: :lol: ....

that´s it.....counter-rant over

and as i said in the original...fare thee well....this is no fighting bullshit and i am being sociable...i hope the grass is greener for ya

later

Most people moaning about software couldn't rub two ones and a zeroes together to save their own ass. But they really seem to like telling software engineers how simple it would be to make their app perfect.

Oh that's one's a keeper!! :lol: :lol:

Professionals don't always get professional behavior from their gear. They use whatever can get them through the session. Anything. And usually without skipping a beat on the outside!

Exactly my thoughts too.

DAW software is very complex; there never will be a completely bug free or perfect DAW. The only bug free Audio Workstation is a pencil and paper (which, I hear, worked wonders for the likes of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven et al.) Logic can only limit you if you allow it to. If you confine yourself to only using logic to make your music, yeah sure, you're going to run into some of it's limitations at some point. Logic can't be everything for everyone. So people can come here and be counter productive and complain about it or you they can be productive about it and find workarounds; bend your rigid ideology of how the workflow should flow and get on with the music! Use other software to compliment Logic if need be. Sometimes you hafta zig when you want to zag!

Oh and of course, there's just as many complaints on the cubase/PT/digital performer/nuendo forums, so the grass ain't any greener!

sorry i opened my mouth ...everyone has great points here....i was a vip with emagic yrs ago when i was a professional doing nothing but music production ..now i am a full time engineer for a big time cable company... but the music biz in philly is starting to pick back up as far as the house music scene is going ..so i am really starting to get hot and heavy back in ....i think my buddy phil jackson sold me on going to pt full time ....no one has ever given what david gives us here no one on any site ....apple support for us as customers just sucks and i will not put up with it anymore ...i live in america i have choices .thanks

All I can say is that I freakin' love Logic 8. I come from Sonar, then Nuendo, now Logic. I thought Nuendo was amazing, but Logic blows it away as far as my own personal needs/workflow goes.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. But EVERY DAW has its problems.

"The only bug free Audio Workstation is a pencil and paper (which, I hear, worked wonders for the likes of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven et al.)"

Not perfect either. Beethoven was writing the Eroica, dedicated to Napolean, when Nappy declared himself Emperor. Beethoven got so mad - he crossed out Napolean's name on the front page *so hard* - that he tore the page.

Which is why Logic's Markers to .mid files export is broken ... to this very day!

P.S.

When they opened Beethoven's coffin, they found him in there madly using an eraser on a piece of paper. "What are you doing, Ludwig?" "DECOMPOSING!"

Life is short.

and humberto....well...

This is NOT about software, hardware, plugins, or anything else like that.

this ALL has to do with the DIRECTION logic and apple have taken.

forget about bugs, GUI, and everything else for just 1 second.

emagic way back when was a great company. it had so many cutting edge features, like rocket control where you could work on projects together online, VST support, and a range of other features, that, since apple has taken over, have all been killed.

even a phone call to apple for support for logic cost somthing like $250!

the bottom line is logic WAS a great app. People are not liking logic 8, as compared to logic 7, features have been removed, and they have to re-arrange their workflow because logic 8 is a new program.

why should people who have been using logic for years have to bite the bullet and take a loss on features they have used? On top of that, you want me to change how I work because they have made logic 8 "for dummies" with its premenant trasport bar, ect?

Im not about to jump to pro tools, not yet, I will stay on logic 7 for years to come, while everyone else sends apple their money for endless updates that never really fix anything.

some of the acient bugs from logic 6 and 7 ARE STILL IN 8!!

thats not pro.

phew! the thing is.. we are still trying to figure this out with apple.. so dont go calling me some idiot complaining.. im looking for solutions while everyone seems to be scratching their heads.

dont believe me?

search the forums with my username.

the search menu is my best friend.

but there still isnt an answer to be found.

needless to say, logic 8 is not a competative DAW for post production... unless i throw down another 8k on a new F**ing mac pro 8 core.

sooo tired of this game.

thats what apple wants you to do, be caught up in endless updates and keep sending them money.

I have had it, ill be on logic 7 and tiger for years.

"Im not about to jump to pro tools"

why not???? every post i have read of yours indicates that you should...is it because like a lot of others here.....the advantages with logic still outweigh the disadvantages

"why should people who have been using logic for years have to bite the bullet and take a loss on features they have used?"

they don´t have to....like you, they can..."stay on logic 7 for years to come"

and considering you don´t like the DIRECTION they are going in and how definate you are that all the rest of us losers will send money to apple

"for endless updates that never really fix anything."

maybe now´s the time to jump

your contempt for everything apple and their cost-cutting fw bus antics etc should seal the deal

time for a dell, running vista and nuendo....i would have suggested sonar, but that´s probably a bit too plebian for you....nuendo...now that´s professional

Logic 8 is made for dummies? Thanks for the kind words.

I happen to have fallen in love with Logic 8 BECAUSE of its in your face simplicity, yet the behind the scenes POWER it has. Maybe I AM a dummy, but most DAWs I've worked with have taken me a lot of time to get to know, putting my creativity on hold while I did so.

With Logic 8, using all the tools right there in front of me, I was able to write and record a complex, multilayered song -- one of the best I've ever written and recorded -- in less than an hour after I first installed the application! And this was my first experience with a Mac and before I started diving in to really get to know Logic.

Now, if that makes me a dummy, so be it. But I'm a damned happy dummy.

rgb

that´s right cloggy....and not forgetting the bugs that existed since ver 6

and to robgb....i am a bigger dummy than you :lol: not that it´s a competition or anything

I willl list some acitent bugs still not addressed in logic 8

1. Control Surface Setup graphics bug. Because of my setup using LC

Xmu, each time I boot Logic I have to delete a Mackie Control I don't

have. When I do, a real MC XT disappears as well but it's actually

still there. It's just a graphics bug. If you click in the blank

space where it should be, it reappears.

2. Mapped instrument event list velocity display bug. Since Logic 7

the velocity in the event list of a mapped instrument did not display

properly in the event list and this bug is still not fixed. To edit

the value you have to click slightly to the left of where the number

is actually displayed.

3. Shift T doesn't work in event panel of the unified Arrange. Only

in a separate event window does it work.

4. Song end setting still jumps to a distant number for no good

reason. This has been broken since about version 5.

5. Since Logic 7 there been an intermittent bug where the metronome

won't sound till it's preferences window is opened. Then it works

fine. I had this happen yesterday again.

WN: Is there any new technology out now that you're enjoying using?

HH: Well, Mac OS X. As far as music goes, there's Logic Studio, which is Logic Pro 8, and some other software that makes up that package. We just got that last week and it's incredible; we've been playing around with that now. And I play a Korg Oasis, which is a workstation. I hired a guy, because now the stuff has gotten really beyond me (laughs). I had to decide some years ago, whether I'd be the guy that's making the music or the guy that's programming the synthesizer that produces the music, and I figure I'd better be the one making the music.

Bloody amateur...